Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2007, 10:03   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 468
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^He says its semi decent cos he has an external dac which is way way better... . Its very good for the price you pay. If you want something cheaper, check the sonodyne cd player.
Well i kinda think that the source and speakers are possibly the two most imp things for good music and the rest follow!

So don't wanna spend much on the CD player! else i feel i rather get a good external DAC and play the nusic from my HDD! What do u say?

@bottle - 1. You mean there is not much diffrence when use/not use the external DAC with your setup?

2. Also do u ADD the external DAC to the setup or REPLACE the CD player with the DAC (offcourse the souce would change from the CD to say Hard disk)

3. just very slightly cold/lifeless with my speakers - u mean too much SQ kya or u prefer a warm sound?

@Determinus - Thanks! 15K for a CD player! waayy outta my budget buddy!

Sometimes i think even of i had the budget i just woudn't have the ear or logic for spending money on some of the 'Audiophile' stuff!

Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 10:37   #47
BHPian
 
Flying Bong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 271
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
So don't wanna spend much on the CD player! else i feel i rather get a good external DAC and play the nusic from my HDD! What do u say?
Well, based on my rather limited knowledge, apart from kit/DIY, am not sure you'd easily find a external DAC that costs less than an entry level audiophile CD player and sounds as good or better...ROC - any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Sometimes i think even of i had the budget i just woudn't have the ear or logic for spending money on some of the 'Audiophile' stuff!
Best way to test that hypothesis IMHO is to listen to as many setups as you can using your favourite music and with an open mind Reviews/other's opinions are useful but can also lead to bias.

Also tastes and preferences w.r.t. music & audio are rather subjective, so at the end of the day, if something SOUNDS good to YOU and makes YOU HAPPY, then IMHO that's the end of the story. But its good to make an informed choice after exposing oneself to a sufficient number of options
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 10:54   #48
BHPian
 
Flying Bong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 271
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Anyone heard of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
So don't wanna spend much on the CD player! else i feel i rather get a good external DAC and play the nusic from my HDD! What do u say?
@elito11:

This is something I remember reading up about many months ago:

Firestone Audio Fubar II DAC

Costs $250

Here's a review of Firestone products on 6 Moons:

6moons audio reviews: Audio Candy from Audio Magic, BPT, Eastern Electric, Firestone Audio & Skylan
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 15:25   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 468
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
Best way to test that hypothesis IMHO is to listen to as many setups as you can using your favourite music and with an open mind Reviews/other's opinions are useful but can also lead to bias.

Also tastes and preferences w.r.t. music & audio are rather subjective, so at the end of the day, if something SOUNDS good to YOU and makes YOU HAPPY, then IMHO that's the end of the story. But its good to make an informed choice after exposing oneself to a sufficient number of options
I know I know! But this is India and Demoing all this would take forever!!!!

Still i have made up my mind..not to rush in..rather listen and learn! Thanks!

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 29th November 2007 at 15:29.
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 15:27   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 468
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Given the budget you might try and include Indian brands like Lithos, Norge, Sonodyne, on your list. They offer more VFM at this price range.

Wharfdale has speakers that will cost you about 7K per pair, add a small 2 ch. amp from Yamaha for 10K and a CD player for 7-8K and you will have crossed your budget.

Please include a pair of good RCA wire as well as speaker wire with this system. reignofchaos has alteady listed one such system. The Monitor Audio - Marantz combo is excellent. Sooner or later you will the need to upgrade the Philips DVD player to something better like a Marantz CD player.

Navin Sir....any suggestions for the same?

Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 15:52   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,488
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Well i kinda think that the source and speakers are possibly the two most imp things for good music and the rest follow!

So don't wanna spend much on the CD player! else i feel i rather get a good external DAC and play the nusic from my HDD! What do u say?
elito you are right about having a good source. I learnt the hard way when i got a oppo dvd player as a transport but it wasnt all that good. If you use a pc and have a good quality collection say flacs etc then pc + dac is the best way to go. there are new usb dacs so all you have to do is plug it in and you are good to go
me i prefer convinience of cds so i went in for a cd player. with pcs you dont have to deal with jitter thats present on cd players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post

@bottle - 1. You mean there is not much diffrence when use/not use the external DAC with your setup?
2. Also do u ADD the external DAC to the setup or REPLACE the CD player with the DAC (offcourse the souce would change from the CD to say Hard disk)
there is a huge difference between my external dac and using the cd player stand alone. basically you are bypassing the dac on the cd player by adding a external and possibly better dac.
so from cd player - amp - speaker it becomes cdp - dac - amp - speaker
but some high end cd players come with some excellent dacs so there is no need for an external dac in that case
its the same case as a pc rather than relying on the d/a conversion on sound card you connect a dedicated dac. the fubar you mentioned is quite good and is getting better with each revision. but still i would not recommend buying without hearing first otherwise it just becomes a costly exercise :(



Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post

3. just very slightly cold/lifeless with my speakers - u mean too much SQ kya or u prefer a warm sound?
Elito
i prefer it a bit warm. sq is there but just feels like singer just woke up from slumber
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 16:22   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 468
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
elito you are right about having a good source. I learnt the hard way when i got a oppo dvd player as a transport but it wasnt all that good. If you use a pc and have a good quality collection say flacs etc then pc + dac is the best way to go. there are new usb dacs so all you have to do is plug it in and you are good to go
me i prefer convinience of cds so i went in for a cd player. with pcs you dont have to deal with jitter thats present on cd players

Righto. But then again its very difficult to get that sort of collection!

there is a huge difference between my external dac and using the cd player stand alone.

So which is better. And is it really audibily better?

basically you are bypassing the dac on the cd player by adding a external and possibly better dac.
so from cd player - amp - speaker it becomes cdp - dac - amp - speaker
but some high end cd players come with some excellent dacs so there is no need for an external dac in that case

Yup i knew that..just was not sure if you meant the same

its the same case as a pc rather than relying on the d/a conversion on sound card you connect a dedicated dac. the fubar you mentioned is quite good and is getting better with each revision. but still i would not recommend buying without hearing first otherwise it just becomes a costly exercise :(

Yeah..that is one thing i realise and will definately try and do!

i prefer it a bit warm. sq is there but just feels like singer just woke up from slumber
Thanks Bottle!

ELito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 16:25   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 468
Thanked: 9 Times
Thumbs up Thanks

I know this thread has stretched a bit, but just wanted to Thank you all for your precious time and effort!

As indicated by the title, it was not just about the equipment, but me wanting to learn a few things!

Thanks
Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 13:02   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 468
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

I am looking to team up my A5 with this >

Amazon.com: Onkyo DXC390 6 Disc CD Player: Audio & Video

ANy opinions?? cause i can get these asap as a friend is coming from US!

At $150 is sure is in my budget than this dream machine > http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-DX7555-A...6406383&sr=1-4


Why Onkyo? Well for starters, its the only one i have actually heard! and really liked!

OT > How come we have a CS 515 (A/V reciever + semi-decent speakers), which in my opinion is excellent! going for 20K and Just a CD player like DX7555 for the same price!!!!

I mean they both have the exact same DAC! too much premium IMO!!

Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 14:17   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,488
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

hehe saw the 2nd link and was wondering how they could offer something like that for $150

not sure about the 1st one sinc i couldnt find too many details but looks ok. do wait for one of the experts to have a look first

Last edited by bottle : 30th November 2007 at 14:20.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 14:41   #56
BHPian
 
revvedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 251
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Now coming back to the digital speakers thing what I have understood from the wikipedia link is that the least significant bit drives the drivers which finally ouput analog sound waves but what I am not able to understand is that the signal that reached the drivers was digital square wave where did the conversion into analog sine wave take place.

Last edited by revvedup : 30th November 2007 at 14:43.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 14:56   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 468
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Marantz CD5001

Marantz CD5001

This one is also in the fray! Marantz America | CD5001 Single Disc CD Player

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 30th November 2007 at 15:05.
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 15:13   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,488
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

that one is $h1t stay away from it. i heard a couple of good speakers sound horrible when they used that as source

Last edited by bottle : 30th November 2007 at 15:15.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 15:33   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 468
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
that one is $h1t stay away from it. i heard a couple of good speakers sound horrible when they used that as source
Hmmmmm

I guess i will audition the Onkyo DX-C309 and CV 515 (the CS 515 reciever) with the same speakers and if thier is not much diffrence..i would go for the DX-C309 for the A5's!

ELito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 16:47   #60
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,247
Thanked: 3,647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Navin Sir....any suggestions for the same?
I saw a Yamaha 395 or 396 selling for under 10K.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pioneer exits from Home Audio-Video & DJ Business. To focus on Car Audio iVento Gadgets, Computers & Software 2 23rd September 2014 12:52
help needed in basics of driving v_s_natarajan Technical Stuff 8 1st June 2010 13:52
Are these basics correct OR am i being taken for a 'ride' ? kalpeshc Technical Stuff 12 11th February 2007 02:23
Back to Basics : Solid or Metallic Colors Hackett Technical Stuff 6 11th September 2005 17:18
Back to Basics: How does a free flow work? aalaap Technical Stuff 4 7th November 2004 03:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks