Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2007, 02:04   #1
BHPian
 
determinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 276
Thanked: 5 Times
Default DivX Subtitles in a DVD player from USB

I recently bought a Philips DVP-3166 player. It plays almost all formats, and reads from USB direct drives. I am very happy with the player but for the response time to a command, a little slow it is.

The question is, is there a way in which I can get this player to read my SRT or SUB file while reading the corresponding AVI file, from a USB drive? (Apparently, when you cut a CD with SRT in it, the player reads both and overlays the subtitles). In USB, it doesnt work. I tried keeping the SRT file with the same name in the same folder as AVI file. I googled and found that there is a hack for the older Philips 642k. So I am assuming that this player also should/must have the feature. Any help?
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 22:03   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,268
Thanked: 4,423 Times
Default

Guys, looking for a solution.

I download movies using torrents on my laptop. Transfer the same to a USB drive that I hook up to my DVD player to watch a movie on my LCD.

There are some movies that I want to watch with subtitles. Is there any way of doing this ? I mean downloading the subtitles separately and then somehow embed them in the movie and play it ?

It can be done using VLC player when viewing it on the laptop. But how do I do it while watching it through a DVD player ???
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 09:33   #3
BHPian
 
DriverR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 317
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

In my DVD player (LG) there is a button on the remote that enables Subtitles. I just need to press it to activate/deactivate the subs.

I too watch all my downloaded torrent movies via the USB drive on my DVD player. To what I know (others can correct me if I'm wrong), the subs file is to be kept in the same directory as the movie file and should be with the same file name. This is what I normally do and I do not get any problems.

Last edited by DriverR : 19th March 2009 at 09:36.
DriverR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 09:50   #4
BHPian
 
gajsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: bengaluru
Posts: 65
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
In my DVD player (LG) there is a button on the remote that enables Subtitles. I just need to press it to activate/deactivate the subs.

I too watch all my downloaded torrent movies via the USB drive on my DVD player. To what I know (others can correct me if I'm wrong), the subs file is to be kept in the same directory as the movie file and should be with the same file name. This is what I normally do and I do not get any problems.
Yes that is exactly what you should do, have the sub file with the same file name as in the avi file, that should do, this sometimes doesnot work because of inherent inefficiency of the players nothing else. It happens sometimes on the computer too, if you guys want to forcibly display the sub, you may have to learn a bit of tweaking using virtual dub, its panacea
gajsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 10:02   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,268
Thanked: 4,423 Times
Default

Thanks, tried the same thing and it worked
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 10:05   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 449
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
To what I know (others can correct me if I'm wrong), the subs file is to be kept in the same directory as the movie file and should be with the same file name. This is what I normally do and I do not get any problems.
I follow the same process. Download the sub or srt file and place them in the movie directory with the same file name . This works all the time .
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 10:21   #7
BHPian
 
yatinchoubal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas / Pune
Posts: 144
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, looking for a solution.
It can be done using VLC player when viewing it on the laptop. But how do I do it while watching it through a DVD player ???
could you let me know how do u do using a VLC player?
yatinchoubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 10:34   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 449
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
could you let me know how do u do using a VLC player?
You should have the movie file and the subtitle file in the same folder and with the same file name. Then when you play the movie in VLC the subtitle would start along with the movie automatically unless it has been disabled in the Video-->Subtiles track in VLC player.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 11:07   #9
BHPian
 
yatinchoubal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas / Pune
Posts: 144
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
You should have the movie file and the subtitle file in the same folder and with the same file name. Then when you play the movie in VLC the subtitle would start along with the movie automatically unless it has been disabled in the Video-->Subtiles track in VLC player.
Great. Thanks. Will try it out..
yatinchoubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 16:25   #10
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 766
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

I wanted to have a player to playback the files from Flash/Harddisk drive. With the current players we have DVD players with USB drives to play movies. I tried Samsung/LG/DVD but none of them played External Hard disk drives and it does not detect them.

Then I found out the Western Digital HD Player which plays Flash/Harddisk USB drives and also the output in HDMI format. Really worth buying for those who need to playback from external harddisks. It has an option to display subtitles with SRT files, I want to know if I can download separate SRT files for the movie which I already have or I have to download both the files from the same source. Will this work ?
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 16:27   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,552
Thanked: 6,310 Times
Default

This srt file is editable in Notepad.
You can have some fun by messing around with it.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 16:31   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 449
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I want to know if I can download separate SRT files for the movie which I already have or I have to download both the files from the same source. Will this work ?

You can download subtitle files seperately . But you will have to do trial and error with the subtitle files to check if they sync with your video file. I use Subscenedotcom to download the subtitle files.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 16:38   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I wanted to have a player to playback the files from Flash/Harddisk drive. With the current players we have DVD players with USB drives to play movies. I tried Samsung/LG/DVD but none of them played External Hard disk drives and it does not detect them.

Then I found out the Western Digital HD Player which plays Flash/Harddisk USB drives and also the output in HDMI format. Really worth buying for those who need to playback from external harddisks. It has an option to display subtitles with SRT files, I want to know if I can download separate SRT files for the movie which I already have or I have to download both the files from the same source. Will this work ?
I too bought a WD HD Player couple of days ago, really an excellent product :-)

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 16:39   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,383 Times
Default

I think the perfect solution for you boys is to stop watching Swedish and German dirty movies.
Naa rahega baans....
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 16:52   #15
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,268
Thanked: 4,423 Times
Default

Sam, why would we need subtitles in those movies ?
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Multimedia player for a car's DVD player narendra.vw In-Car Entertainment 12 6th November 2015 19:49
Is it 2 Player(MP3 Player & DVD player) Possible in my i10? camon In-Car Entertainment 4 17th October 2010 11:35
Alpine CD Player or Digital Media Receiver or a Clarion 2 DIN DVD Player ? esteem_lover In-Car Entertainment 36 13th February 2009 12:05
DIVX player with USB support Proxima Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 11th August 2008 00:14
Service centre required for LG CD-player/writer cum DVD player benbsb29 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 18th January 2007 11:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks