Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Which format would you go for?
HD-DVD 5 16.13%
Bluray 22 70.97%
DVD 7 22.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th November 2007, 14:28   #1
BHPian

Default BluRay Vs HD-DVD

All right guys...
This is not a duplication of this thread...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ation-3-a.html

Though the thread above includes the BluRay vs HD-DVD fight to some extend, this doesnt cover it fully.

Here, it only concerns the future HD format (no gaming please). Who is winning, Standalone players sales, Movie sales etc...

So here it goes...
BluRay or HD-DVD or DVD....
anToNIcHeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 16:44   #2
BHPian

I have blu ray and I think blu ray will win in the long run because when you equalize everything else, which will happen, over time, the one factor that will remain unequalized will be the larger disc capacity of blu ray which will allow higher bit rates or more content.

Though, both media will be dead in about five years because I predict that in five years broadband users will be able to just download full HD resolution , full quality content directly to their media centers. Or other memory storage devices with huge capacity will come along to destroy both formats, like the 1 terabyte disc thats in design phase right now.
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 22:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I have blu ray and I think blu ray will win in the long run because when you equalize everything else, which will happen, over time, the one factor that will remain unequalized will be the larger disc capacity of blu ray which will allow higher bit rates or more content.

Though, both media will be dead in about five years because I predict that in five years broadband users will be able to just download full HD resolution , full quality content directly to their media centers. Or other memory storage devices with huge capacity will come along to destroy both formats, like the 1 terabyte disc thats in design phase right now.
Yes,I believe blu ray as the long runner..but then I don't think both media would survive for 5 years..one of them would be the winner eventually..
-sr
srasania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 10:37   #4
BHPian

Whenever a new technology is commercially released, there are always a few early adopters. But the success or failure depends upon whether the mass market adopts it and if yes, when?
I believe that even 5 years is too short a period for the mass market (read: Common Indian Man) to upgrade to something like broadband downloads directly to their disks (probably built in all the players by that time). And to realise the full potential of HD or Blue Ray, one needs to have compatible displays (i.e. Plasmas or LCDs)...and I doubt the mass market would be ready to embrace such products.
So as long as you are playing a DVD on a regular TV, you would never ever feel the need to upgrade to anything better, because it wont make any difference.
Hence, my approach would be to wait and watch...and I too expect that both would die a premature death in the wake of some other disruptive technological innovation.
anuragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 11:32   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

HD format war gets big shock....... - TechEnclave

See this..
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 09:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I have blu ray and I think blu ray will win in the long run ....

Toshiba to give up on HD DVD, end format war: source | Reuters

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 15:08   #7
BANNED

So between XBOX & PS3, PS wins !!!
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 15:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yup, HD is on its way out. Toshiba which was pushing the new format for a long time, is out of the race.

Its funny actually, there are more gaming titles available for X-box360 in HD DVD. I guess because it was released earlier.

Sony generally is good with this kinda technology. However they have lost out earlier to other players. Betamax/Betacam and the MiniDisc are some examples.

So looks like they are finally winning a war after sometime. :-)
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 17:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

^^All gaming titles on XBOX 360 are simple DVD9. There are no game titles on HD DVD. Bluray winning has got nothing to do with who wins the console race.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 17:29   #10
BHPian

With Toshiba pulling out, it suddenly makes economic sense to buy a PS3 - among the cheaper blu ray player around and you get a top notch gaming console to boot
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 17:35   #11
BHPian

I have read good review of blu-ray rather then others.Let us wait and watch.

And does it matter to us ?.We love pirated any ways
manziee_crusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 17:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Whether it is better or not, HD-DVD RIP.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 17:43   #13
BANNED

Blu-ray is better. The only reason Microsoft choose HD-DVD because Blu-ray was from Sony. Talking of vested interests, its a move that has back-fired on Microsoft. After the Yahoo fiasco, yet another blow for Microsoft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Whether it is better or not, HD-DVD RIP.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 17:53   #14
BHPian

Default HD-DVD is all but dead...

The Format war is all but over. Toshiba is going to pull out of it in the coming weeks, so one can sya bye to HD-DVD
Blu-Ray has won the format war to put it lightly, and much thanks to the Playstation 3.

Thanks

ALSO HD-DVD =15gb whereas BLU-Ray=25gb
nanu28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 18:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
With Toshiba pulling out, it suddenly makes economic sense to buy a PS3 - among the cheaper blu ray player around and you get a top notch gaming console to boot
Sure does make sense to buy the PS3. Although the games side is only a bonus at the present time as the games in my view lack any clear edge over their 360 releases.

Maybe this will give the games companies a kick up the behind and result it better releases on the PS3.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote