Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th December 2007, 23:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question Urgent Query Laptop

I have a Compaq Laptop, earlier when i use the AC power the screen glows brighter and when i am on battery the screen glows dim. But now it just remains on dim even when AC power is used. Why is this happening, and how can i correct it?
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 23:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Busa
If you are Windows user, you should be able toconfigure these setting in Control Panel > Power Options.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 23:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes using Windows but all this happened without me changing any setting.

Tried doind that in control panel but with no postive result.

Last edited by BUSA : 8th December 2007 at 23:15.
Old 8th December 2007, 23:14   #4

Just check the Power mode in your laptop, might be set for Power Saving mode.

Power Mode will be available in Control Panel.

Cheers,
maverick_atam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 23:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

there is some thing called power options in the control panel to control the various feature which include reduce the brightness to conserve power, power off the LCD and turn of HDD. Check it out
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 23:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

There will be two brightness keys (up and down), usually marked by a "sun" icon with an upward arrow and downward arrow in the keyboard. These keys are usually marked on the function keys, and should be used by pressing and holding down the "Fn" key (usually on the LHS corner, just after the Ctrl key) first.

You can use these keys to turn the brightness up and down. There are different settings in memory for the "AC mains on" and the "AC mains off/Battery power" state. Just set the brightness using these keys with the AC mains on and the AC mains off, and these settings will stick.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 23:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks alot guys.

Quote:
There will be two brightness keys (up and down), usually marked by a "sun" icon with an upward arrow and downward arrow in the keyboard. These keys are usually marked on the function keys, and should be used by pressing and holding down the "Fn" key (usually on the LHS corner, just after the Ctrl key) first.
Problem solved with Hydra Sound Ashoks method. Thanks alot for the help

Whats with B&T hanging like the Yeti?
Old 10th December 2007, 16:48   #8
BHPian

Guys please help me .......
I recently bought a Lenovo R Series with Vista Basic and now after running the system, the OS asks for a 25 digit product key which is not there with me and i have then regd for a 60 day subscription, but the dealer told me that Vista was pre loaded and i just need to register but the problem persists From what i have heard is that it might be a trial version then what to do?????? Also with Vista the system is very slow I have a 512 mb loaded Please help........
metropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 16:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyderabad ashok

You can use these keys to turn the brightness up and down. There are different settings in memory for the "AC mains on" and the "AC mains off/Battery power" state. Just set the brightness using these keys with the AC mains on and the AC mains off, and these settings will stick.
This is exactly what I was about to say.
nitrous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 21:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
Guys please help me .......
I recently bought a Lenovo R Series with Vista Basic and now after running the system, the OS asks for a 25 digit product key which is not there with me and i have then regd for a 60 day subscription, but the dealer told me that Vista was pre loaded and i just need to register but the problem persists From what i have heard is that it might be a trial version then what to do?????? Also with Vista the system is very slow I have a 512 mb loaded Please help........
there is a key on the sticker at the back of your computer
if you dont care about orignal OS
just put a dual OS and put windows XP pro yara, it will run cool with a 512MB ram
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 22:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

@metropolis: first download "azureus" (a torrent downloading software), then go to isohunt.com and search the torrents for Vista Basic Crack or the whole OS itself, then download the torrent file(which has the maximum number of seeders) and open it with azureus and start downloading the crack or the OS and then install the downloaded crack or OS..

note: its better if you download the FULL OS.
badboyscad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 23:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

each and every notebook pc with legal microsoft OS will have a license sticker on the bottom with the code.

Also for running Vista a bare minimum of 1024mb of Ram is necessary.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 16:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Whats with B&T hanging like the Yeti?

What did I do now?
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 23:07   #14
BHPian

devarshi84, badbor scad, magma thanks a tons for your help but guys its really strange i have tried the 25 digit product key which is wriiten below the system but it gives an error of incorrect product key Now what to do i'm really stuck up and how do i install XP and Vista is trial version????? in the system.........I'm really not finding vista comfy even though it is better to XP but now alreasy spend half a lakh..........Also i enquired for another upgrade of 1GB ram additional but here too was my bad luck, the dealer said i need go to IBM and get the orignal ram for my notebook as it would void the warranty and it would cost another Rs 7000/- more and what about the orignal ram ?????????????? I'm really depressed now.......please help me vbmenu_register("postmenu_659513", true);
metropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 23:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

the 25-digit product key is the right key. I wonder why its doesnt accept. Does the sticker say Vista or XP?

You can always get a cheap copy of Xp if you are not comfortable with Vista.

For memory i dont know about Lenovo but HP and Sony dont void warranty when I install it for customers.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote