Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 19:20   #1
JPL
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: XXXXX
Posts: 241
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Yahoo Id phished !!

Hi All,

My yahoo id got hacked and I have already sent an Email to yahoo, have any of you experienced the same and if yes, how do I retreive the id back.


I was online on yahoo listening to launchcast and one of contacts comes online after 10 days or so, he usally is online !! so I ask him after a long time and all that and later he sent me .html file and told me that it contains pictures of him with sharukh khan.

if it was somebody else I would not have beleived it, but he could have actually taken a pic with him !!

So I click on the .html file and a local yahoo page appears, so I tell him to share the pics on yahoo messenger or send me a link, he tells me that the picture are stored on a folder and you have to log in to view them.

So i do the same and I see a different address the page is contacting and I immediately log in to yahoo to change my address, I login also but when I try to save the New pass some thing happened with the internet connection and when I tried to login again, gone, the id is gone.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 20:03   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 381
Thanked: 2 Times
Smile Join The Club

cant help it dude. I was feeling alone on this count.

Same thing happened with me a few months back.
Had to go through a laborious procedure to reset the password.
  1. try the "forgot id/password" link & go thru the charade. If you can remember all the details exactly from the time you created the account, consider yourself lucky. The job is done.
  2. if # 1 dint work write to my-login-support@cc.yahoo-inc.com stating your position
  3. Follow up promptly & threaten to changeover to gmail if its not solved quickly.
Time frame for the above.

It took 5 days for me to get a reply from that email in step 2.

It took 6 more days of interaction (twice a day because of the time difference, I used to interact with guys from both morning & evening shifts)

Good Luck & cheers
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 20:09   #3
JPL
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: XXXXX
Posts: 241
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
cant help it dude. I was feeling alone on this count.

Same thing happened..........................It took 6 more days of interaction (twice a day because of the time difference, I used to interact with guys from both morning & evening shifts)

Good Luck & cheers
Thanks for the reply man. Hell i remember the details, lol man I saw the .html file that sen sent and when I opened it I even saw that there was not https:// secure login, I thought maybe it will appear after i login !!

and also in the address bas it was showing the path of the file on the local drive and still !! cos i received it from a friend i did not doubt much.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 20:56   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
ramie2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,900
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

my yahoo id was also hacked about 1.5year ago ramieee@yahoo.com the guy who hacked sent me a mail on the alternate id to pay him USD35 for getting the password on his paypal account,i tried convincing him through mails but his thing was only money,finally one day i mailed him an abusive mail till my inner evil came out on him and then just moved on with the other id...

yahoo wont help you in any kind,infact i feel they are the one who do it for fast cash( No offence ment to anyone please)

cheers..!!
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 21:29   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bharuch, Gujarat, India
Posts: 131
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

LOL ramie.... that's the best thing you can do....

@JPL If you dont mind then try asking him which group he belongs to... if i knew him i will get back your id. Dont ask me how.
bmdesai1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 21:48   #6
BHPian
 
anonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NCR
Posts: 564
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
my yahoo id was also hacked about 1.5year ago ramieee@yahoo.com
This is why its recommended not to use this kind of format while writing your ID in any public forum, as its really easy for hackers to pick it up, instead use ramieee(at)yahoo.com
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 21:53   #7
JPL
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: XXXXX
Posts: 241
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdesai1987 View Post
LOL ramie.... that's the best thing you can do....

@JPL If you dont mind then try asking him which group he belongs to... if i knew him i will get back your id. Dont ask me how.
A ray of light, yeah I think so. Dude lemme see if he contacts me and I will let you know.

Thanks.

BTW its not hacking, my password cannot be hacked its super strong with caps,special characters and numbers totalling 14 chars lol.

Its phishing, he saves the yahoo login page and edits it in notepad with a new script and voila he receives the email id and password.

Iam also working on something like this as we speak and send it to him ,lol, lemme see.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 22:53   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bharuch, Gujarat, India
Posts: 131
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Its not easy as you are speaking. He has to send you a link to get you on that page and let you enter your UID AND PASSWD. Yahoo servers cannot be fooled so easily

BUT the user can be.........easily...... GUYS PLEASE BE AWARE TO CHECK THE ORIGINAL LINKS IN URL BAR BEFORE YOU LOGIN.
bmdesai1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 23:24   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 381
Thanked: 2 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
yahoo wont help you in any kind,infact i feel they are the one who do it for fast cash( No offence ment to anyone please)

cheers..!!
I beg to differ on this point. my yahoo id was compromised in April & yahoo customer service was very professional with the help.

Because of the security issue I had to go thru several steps (see my earlier post on the same thread) before they were convinced of my authenticity.

I've been using yahoo for last 12 years & a lot of private data was stored so I took it upon myself to escalate the matter. I even called up their HQ in California to follow it up. It finally worked out for me.

Once the issue was resolved couple of execs from Yahoo actually called up to get a feed back.

It was a jolly good experience.
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 00:23   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
ramie2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,900
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
This is why its recommended not to use this kind of format while writing your ID in any public forum, as its really easy for hackers to pick it up, instead use ramieee(at)yahoo.com
Thanks for the information mate suerly i will write (at) in all my id's mentioned on the internet well to this id was more than 12years old and now it does not existes no no issues for the same,I am totally cut off with this one.

Sorry for jacking
cheers
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 12:31   #11
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 583
Thanked: 478 Times
Default Help : Yahoo Account Hacked !!

Guys, today my yahoo account got hacked.
Mails were sent from my yahoo id to all the contacts of my address book. It came to my notice when I received a mail in my gmail id from my yahoo id mentioning some obscure Chinese link.
I am in the IT profession, so I know and practice the general precautions of computer & network safety. My office laptop has McAfee and home laptop has AVG installed. I do not surf any porn sites, which I know are generally a front for the hackers. I do not open any spam mail links.
So I do not understand how my account got hacked. I can see from yahoo mail recent activity logs that my account has been accessed from Pakistan. I have never visited any .pk site in my life (not even the very popular site Songs.PK - Download Bollywood Songs,Songspk,Mp3 Songs,Bollywood Music,Indian Movie Songs,Hindi Music,Indian Mp3) For the last 2-3 days, I am surfing some Chinese electronics site to procure a cheap tablet. Can I get hacked by this activity?

I have changed my password immediately before more damage can be done.
My question is, what more precaution can I take to prevent such a think in future



[the UK location in the photo is because of UK proxy I use in my office laptop; I am based in Bangalore]
Attached Thumbnails
Yahoo Id phished !!-yahoo-hacked.jpg  

ankan.m.blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 12:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,044
Thanked: 3,591 Times
Default Re: Help : Yahoo Account Hacked !!

@ankan.m.blr, Not much. Being an IT professional you will know. I am sure it was a part of an attack on Indian id's by some bunch of hackers in Pakistan. I am quite confident that yours will be a xyz@yahoo.co.in id as is mine.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 12:50   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 79
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Help : Yahoo Account Hacked !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
For the last 2-3 days, I am surfing some Chinese electronics site to procure a cheap tablet. Can I get hacked by this activity?

I have changed my password immediately before more damage can be done.
My question is, what more precaution can I take to prevent such a think in future



[the UK location in the photo is because of UK proxy I use in my office laptop; I am based in Bangalore]
I am assuming you take care of basic things like :
  1. Using the latest version of a good browser (i.e. Firefox, chrome etc).
  2. You have a strong password
  3. You don't fall for phishing scams. You don't provide third party apps with your yahoo mail password.
  4. You have malware, keylogger, virus scanners running regularly.
Now you need to make sure you do the following
  1. Javascript and cookies are the biggest reason for internet pain. Make sure you run addons like "noScript", "ghostery" to ease some of this pain.
  2. Run the private browsing mode when you are surfing unknown, potentially dangerous sites.
  3. Have a good password recovery option on your email accounts.
  4. If possible move to Gmail. Their fraud detection is much much better than any other system. They can detect unusual logins and stop the email sending.
carbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 13:22   #14
BHPian
 
Tushargohil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Help : Yahoo Account Hacked !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Guys, today my yahoo account got hacked.
Mails were sent from my yahoo id to all the contacts of my address book. It came to my notice when I received a mail in my gmail id from my yahoo id mentioning some obscure Chinese link.
I am in the IT profession, so I know and practice the general precautions of computer & network safety. My office laptop has McAfee and home laptop has AVG installed. I do not surf any porn sites, which I know are generally a front for the hackers. I do not open any spam mail links.
So I do not understand how my account got hacked. I can see from yahoo mail recent activity logs that my account has been accessed from Pakistan. I have never visited any .pk site in my life (not even the very popular site Songs.PK - Download Bollywood Songs,Songspk,Mp3 Songs,Bollywood Music,Indian Movie Songs,Hindi Music,Indian Mp3) For the last 2-3 days, I am surfing some Chinese electronics site to procure a cheap tablet. Can I get hacked by this activity?

I have changed my password immediately before more damage can be done.
My question is, what more precaution can I take to prevent such a think in future



[the UK location in the photo is because of UK proxy I use in my office laptop; I am based in Bangalore]
Source :- My friend..

Don't trust android phones.....

1. create new user profile. (instant relief)
2. update windows patch by going to [control panel > updates] including service pack. Windows XP has SP2 and windows vista / 7 has SP1
3. update antivirus, if u don't have any then download free edition from Avira Free Antivirus - Download Best Antivirus Software
4. run the antivirus scan on complete drive.
5. download windows defender Download: Windows® Defender - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details for checking on any abnormal activity and registry cleanup.. this will only be available on legal windows license.
6. reset all your account password and hint/secret question ( mails/bank), this is not required but good to be on safer side.

Last edited by Tushargohil : 29th May 2012 at 13:27.
Tushargohil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 13:41   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: Help : Yahoo Account Hacked !!

Steps you should take

- Update your password reset info with alternate email ID and mobile number
- Set up your second sign in verification (if you can)
- Update your contact info with alternate email ID and mobile number

This way you will ensure no one will be able to break in unless they have your password.

For MITM attacks i would recommend, always check HTTPS/SSL connection on your browser and create a sign in seal.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yahoo! Go for Nokia Mobiles aZa Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 9th July 2006 13:39
Team-Bhp gets quoted at Mahindra Scorpio Yahoo Group ananthkamath Shifting gears 23 27th October 2005 11:38
Messenger : Yahoo or MSN..? veyron1 Shifting gears 31 20th October 2005 02:24
Ford Fusion group at yahoo navinb9 The Indian Car Scene 2 18th September 2005 19:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:30.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks