Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 3rd January 2008, 16:36   #16
mjd

Default Good XPS series of laptops

@gopz,

I bought a XPS M1200 last year. XPS series is the top of line laptop from Dell.

For me, the laptop is good worth for the money. With the small screen (12''), it is relative lightweight and watching movie is a pleasure when on the move.

Some Cons
1. Vista bundled (resource hoggy)
2. My built-in webcam doesnt work (logitech driver problem)
3. keyboard is very not sturdy compared to other models.

However, i still feel, it is one of best model out there.

I think, XPS 1300 should be 13'' screen and should have more or less the same hardware. It should be good worth for ~ 60k.

If you are getting it from US, look for other better models from XPS series (currently not available here) which have many features like detachable keyboard, ..... (check out Dell - US site)

If you are ordering from here, look out for Dell Pricing strategy. They usually reduce the prices of their existing models on Wednesday. So I would suggest you to wait till the mid-week before you place the order.
mjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:02   #17
BHPian

OK, I will check with them the coming wednesday and see what they offer....thanks guys
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

@ Sideways:
During my recent laptop shopping, I extensively checked out Dell owners experience and it seems to be a 50-50. Some call it "Dell Hell" while others love it.
The quality inconsistency Im referring to is the need to replace components within 6 months which shows the thin line they're treading on.

After my long hunt, I decided on a Dell 1420 along with the Dell complete cover for that peace of mind.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:41   #19
BHPian

+1 to the XPS series. They are pretty good in performance. But only problem is battery life. My laptop is just over a year old and battery which used to last around 3 hrs just lasts under an hour these days. Other than that, its really good.
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:44   #20
BHPian

I too have battery issues with my Inspirion. It lasts for full 20 mins (it might be getting lower as I write this) and the system is not even one and half year old ... . But besides the battery I would say i am pretty happy with the performance, especially the keys and the scroller
akshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 00:26   #21
BHPian

buy it with your eyes closed the xps m 1330 is an amazing laptop go for it
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 00:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshat View Post
I too have battery issues with my Inspirion. It lasts for full 20 mins (it might be getting lower as I write this) and the system is not even one and half year old ... . But besides the battery I would say i am pretty happy with the performance, especially the keys and the scroller
i was just talking to the laptop dealer and he says batteries do get overcharged. And that effects the life of the battery. So its good to discharge the battery and recharge.

And i used to think keeping it on AC power will keep battery good.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 01:17   #23
BHPian

Guys, I used to work for Dell's Inspiron range of notebooks and know in and out about them.

Shorter battery life on any Dell system is due to 2 things:
1) Overcharging of batteries which causes it to wear out sometimes within 90 days also.
2) There are a lot of Free Softwares running in the background which guzzle up the power even when ur just typing on a notepad. Dell has a lot of royalty partners and have to put in a lot of these SW's on the system. Ex: Free AOL (which does not get deleted so easily), Netzero, majority of them are ISP softwares..

PM me for any clarificaitons or problems with Dell products.
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 01:36   #24
BHPian

My last 3 laptops have been Dell. They are very robust laptops and good value for money. Battery is an issue after 1-2 years of usage.
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 13:18   #25
BHPian

You know what..I was gonna get the Dell XPS M1330..ultra portable..and nice feature packed..but then I was getting the HP tx1320us for a very good deal after rebates ($997)..and the Dell was much higher priced,even on Sale..so, I just got the HP one..Haven't used the 1330..so,can't comment on it's performance..but yes,looks great..and has good service network too..(like HP).

-sr
srasania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 13:30   #26
BHPian

+1 for Dell, a long time Dell user have had a great user experience. In my workplace too we have standardized on Dell and have over 200 desktops and this year another 600 laptops.

Now i use a Macbook Pro as a primary and a Dell X300 Latitude as a backup notebook.

cheers.
ankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 13:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Best way to have a long life battery - Mostly when i am in office i have uninterrupted power supply. Before booting i remove the battery, connect it to the mains and boot up. Since i dont move around much when in office this helps. When ever i need the battery, i just plug it back in. I havent replaced the battery in 3 years, have replaced the adapter once though.

Always discharge the battery thoroughly before recharging or atleast when it gets to 5%. And DONT keep it connected to the mains after it hits 100%. Reduces the battery life tremendously if charged for too long.

Oh and i use a IBM T42, the best and one of the most underrated laptops ever available.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 14:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to put this post up here as well, but I am considering this model of Dell too... therefore need some pointers..

How is the Acer Aspire 4920 @ 43k?? Is this a good lap top and at a good price point? I am looking at this or the Dell XPS 1330(looks very good - though the specs seem lower) or the Tablet that Viper bought the- TX1301AU.

I know nothing about computers .. and I need to buy one immediately.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 14:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

My experience with Dell has been very good. The laptop is now over 4.5 years old & works fine, the battery in fact is still the original one & lasts around an hour nowadays which considering is pretty good IMO. I would recommend them over any other brand any day.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 14:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Sorry to put this post up here as well, but I am considering this model of Dell too... therefore need some pointers..
Sujit

The XPS is a great laptop and is a bestseller for Dell. However, do you really need a flashy notebook or a business notebook? You pay more for flash, and you're just setting up your own business - this is a personal issue, but you should perhaps look for a good functional notebook over a bit of flash.

The XPS is more expensive than other laptops with similar comparable features.

No issues with Dell though - I'm posting this from the same 700m I have had for the last 2+ years. Other than replacing the battery last month I've not had a single issue with this laptop.

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th January 2008 at 14:35.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote