Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 3rd January 2008, 12:32   #1
BHPian

Default Dell XPS M1330 Lappy

Want to know if any Bhpians have this model? Any opinions?
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Iraghava has a DELL maybe he can comment on the same.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Iraghava has a DELL maybe he can comment on the same.
@LBM Bhai I too had a Dell before, I want specific feedback about this particular model...especially the keyboard
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

- why do you refer to a laptop as "Lappy"?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
- why do you refer to a laptop as "Lappy"?
Maybe of the new generations SMS language.
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

Dells are typically built to last - all our group companies are on Dells. This laptop shouldnt be an exception.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:37   #7
HKP
BHPian

Hope you have seen this review video on youtube

\\hkp
HKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Maybe of the new generations SMS language.
Ciggy, Marly, Lappy - is footwear referred to as Sneaky and a visit to the loo a Leaky?
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

well i don't know how well they are made to last but i do know that their batteries suck big time.

my friend has a huge dell.i mean its 17 inch.and his battery has gone twice.i mean the comp shows that its time to change the battery.he doesn't change it.and in one month's time it dies.this is really stupid.

its just been one and a half year since he got it.my hp is 2 years old and the battery is still going strong.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Maggie, Dell has serious quality inconsistency. I'd consider IBM as "built to last". Not dell.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:59   #11
BHPian

My friends having DELL they are good value for money products, but the service in India is pathetic. They are actually importing the machines on order directly to the customers name from Malasia/ Taiwan. Support is been outsourced to third parties. Hence you may face probs in future. Otherwise its a good buy. My opinion when you spend close to 50K buy a brand having proper A.S.S. You have very good models in hp, Sony etc.

If Display is very important for you (General Entertainment like watching DVD, Editing photos etc) go for Sony Vaio FN25 . Its having an HDMI output which is really useful if you have a HD supported screen. The builtin screen of this model is having 93% which is just below the OLED (Organic LED) displays(97%). But it comes with 1GB single slot DDR RAM, which can'nt give you the full potential of your system (it will work in Single Data rate instead of Dual). So will have to shell out 1400 bugs for another 1Gb RAM of the same speed. Total it may cost you close to 66K in Delhi.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 3rd January 2008 at 16:05.
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
well i don't know how well they are made to last but i do know that their batteries suck big time.

my friend has a huge dell.i mean its 17 inch.and his battery has gone twice.i mean the comp shows that its time to change the battery.he doesn't change it.and in one month's time it dies.this is really stupid.

its just been one and a half year since he got it.my hp is 2 years old and the battery is still going strong.
I had battery issues with my Dell Inspiron 700m too. However I found a HongKong based source for Dell batteries on ebay, and I got terrific 8-cell replacement batteries (in place of the 4-cell OEM batteries) from him for 17 Pound Sterling, 20 including postage! My batteries run for nearly 5 hours now!

Still have the laptop, and I swear by it. Except for the OEM battery - I swear AT it.
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Maggie, Dell has serious quality inconsistency. I'd consider IBM as "built to last". Not dell.
Are you speaking from personal experience? Cause I have been using Dell now for the last 4 years, laptop and desk tops and have had no issues with quality so far. Infact the battery on my laptop is still the original one.

I have had to deal with the service guys once, after a drunk friend spilt rum and coke on my laptop. Although the process is a bit lengthy, i found no fault with the quality of service.

I am infact contemplating on replacing my laptop shortly with another Dell machine.

Thanx in advance for your inputs.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

OT : but related to lappy.

I have a Toshiba satellite p-iii, approx 6 years old but works very good till date. If I had to buy a new lappy I would go for Toshiba.
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

My cousin sister has this particular model, extremely happy with the same... though being just an internet surfer, she doesn't do any justice to the technology

I must say, it actually looks good and efficient enough to handle it, apart from hardware side Dell warranty coverage is another added benefit !!!
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote