Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 24th May 2010, 00:23   #151
BHPian

Which is better external USB HD:- Seagate FreeAgent or Transcent shock proof?
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 17:52   #152
BHPian

Default Western Digital - My Book Essential

Finally, I bought Western Digital - My Book Essential - 1TB * 2 Nos. The Dealer in Goa had quoted me 4950 + Vat...finally, he agreed to give me for 4300 + 5% Vat (Per 1TB Drive) = 4515 * 2 Nos = 9030/-

The Drive came with 3 years Warranty.

Here are thee snap of the drive.
Attached Images

Gurudatta Nayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 18:21   #153
Senior - BHPian

Default Seagate FreeAgent 1TB

I bought Seagate FreeAgent 1 TB for Rs. 4500 + 10% discount coupon (appx Rs. 4100) from EBay with five years of manufacturer warranty.

The best part is it support USB 2.0 and data transfer between Laptop and Harddisk is quite fast.

I would suggest any prospective buyer to look for the offer in Ebay than going to local retailers. Many a times EBay gives good offer.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 20:53   #154
Senior - BHPian

benefit of WD is that, it has door to door replacement.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 21:35   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
benefit of WD is that, it has door to door replacement.

I have chosen WD for Service and reliability...
Gurudatta Nayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 08:03   #156
BHPian

Smile Which is the best external drive you can buy in india ?

Hi,

I am looking forward to buy a external hard disk for extending my storage and creating a backup for all my movies and photos. I already have seagate 500GB and seagate 250GB internal hard disk in my PC and they are almost full with hardly 10 GB of storage left. I would like to know which is the best external drive to buy ?

which one should I buy ?

1. seagate or WD
2. 2.5" or 3.5"

I live in chennai, I have checked the prices for both the HDD in the local shops.

Seagate 1 TB freeagent desk - 3990 with 5 years warranty

WD my book essential 1 TB - 3650 with 3 years warranty.

which one should i go for portable ones or the desktop edition

please let me know soon guys

thanks in advance

uday
udayjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:38   #157
Senior - BHPian

Transcend and WD have now got portable 1TB harddisk. I think everything is cool about it except for the price. The last time I found out it was around 10k(which is 2 times the price of a corded one.).
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:19   #158
BHPian

How reliable are the USB based HDD? I mean would they be as reliable as powered HDD?
hiren.mistry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:31   #159
Senior - BHPian

I vouch for Seagate. Had my share of problems with WD. Bad sectors n all. Seagate also comes with a 5 year warranty.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:24   #160
BHPian

Neither - Get a new 2 TB internal HDD for 5.5K - internal HDD's are the most reliable and VFM option.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:02   #161
Senior - BHPian

Do not buy HP HDD (Simple Live) at any cost. I bought it 3 months back and it worked for the first time. I had to format my system recently. When I tried to use it, it is not not getting detected at all. I has an inbuilt software which takes incremental back ups regularly. But I found on internet that there are many issues with the drive and HP service is not good. So, stay away from it. Also, it sells at a premium compared to other HDDs.

I do not know about WD. I have noticed that it is cheaper compared to other options.

Seagate warranty is an eyewash based on the experience I have with internal HDD. They just repair the hard disk instead of giving a new one. In my case, the repair was not done properly and my system crashed frequently. Finally, I had to dump the old one and buy a new hard disk.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:19   #162
BHPian

whatever brand you buy, make sure it is shock proof and has turbo. There is turbo in everything these days. It makes the data transfer faster with that additional cable.
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:22   #163
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you try Drobo or any other NAS? You can use cheaper higher capacity drives and dont have to worry about RAID.

All the best!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:33   #164
BHPian

Dont buy the seagate 1TB freeagent external drive.

I bought it about a year ago, it worked like a charm till about a month ago, backing up my all stuff in the background. I was so confidant that I moved most of the stuff from the laptop to the freeagent drive.

Then it started making clicking sound. Got scared.

A check on the net revealed what is known as "click of death" affects all such seagate drives. Franticly, I backed up all the stuff in the drive to DVD's praying aloud that it doesn't drop dead before I completed the back up! Fortunately, I was able to save all the data on to DVD's, giving time in between for the drive to cool down.

I downloaded the seagate utility for checking the disk. It said everything was fine. But the clicking sound increased. The drive was inaccessible at times. Finally, I decided that it is best not to use the freeagent disk again.

Since I bought the drive in Dubai, I wouldn't be able to get it replaced from here.

What use is the warranty if all the data in the disk is lost. I read on the net that seagate charges hefty money for recovering the data from damaged disks, even under so called warranty.
Abes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:52   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
Hi,

I am looking forward to buy a external hard disk for extending my storage and creating a backup for all my movies and photos. I already have seagate 500GB and seagate 250GB internal hard disk in my PC and they are almost full with hardly 10 GB of storage left. I would like to know which is the best external drive to buy ?

which one should I buy ?

1. seagate or WD
2. 2.5" or 3.5"

I live in chennai, I have checked the prices for both the HDD in the local shops.

Seagate 1 TB freeagent desk - 3990 with 5 years warranty

WD my book essential 1 TB - 3650 with 3 years warranty.

which one should i go for portable ones or the desktop edition

please let me know soon guys

thanks in advance

uday
Portable or desktop edition is your choice..if you need to restore/backup on the move then buy the portable.

Seagate's quality has dipped big time. Replacement hard drives are refurbished units.

WD is the best. I have been using WD products (8 at last count, including 4 internal HDDs and 4 externals) exclusively since 2006. WD gives brand new drives as replacements. Service and support is very good with home pick up and drop for warranty replacements.

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd October 2010 at 21:54.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote