Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 23rd October 2010, 22:16   #166
BHPian

+1 to WD. One of my friend had some problems and the service center was very helpul. Don't buy a Transcend in any case, my external HDD has turned into a brick
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 12:05   #167
Senior - BHPian

Both WDC and Seagate are reliable, but WDC is much less finicky in replacing a defective. Seagate has this lousy policy of even requiring the packing in many cases. It may not matter in most cases, but if you get a failure within a few months, WDC is far better than Seagate.
Externals with >1 TB are also available but not so great. The quoted MyBook WDC 1 TB for 3.7-4K is a great backup device, but perhaps slower than comparable Seagate Expansion in data transfers. That should not matter much.
Desktop ones are cheaper but take more space and often need an adaptor.
Prices quoted by you seem right.
Go to WDC site and see which one seems right. I would not go for a WDC with smart backup software or something. Bloated and useless.
For internal >1 TB, your best bet would be Barracuda LP 2 TB for around 5.4K. Somewhat better than WD Caviar Greens in performance. For performance in conventional HDD, I think nothing can beat the WDC Caviar Black, especially the 2 TB one. Can beat even Velociraptor in most situations. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Caviar Black 2TB with most shops in India.
Of course, performance wise, SSDs as a general rule, leave all conventional HDDs in the dust. Amongst SSDs, your best bet may be Crucial RealSSD or OCZ Vertex 2. Very expensive though (60 GB for close to 9-10K, and the even faster 120 GB for 15-20K).

Last edited by vasudeva : 24th October 2010 at 12:07.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 12:40   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
Which one should i go for portable ones or the desktop edition
portable (2.5") will cost you double then the desktop edition (3.5"). If you cannot afford to loose your data and can afford to spend money on a portable 1TB HDD, I would suggest you to go for two 1TB desktop edition HDD's. In that way you can have a copy of your data on the second HDD.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 22:00   #169
BHPian

Default Re: All about external (backup) hard disks

Hey guys,

After 5 years of hard usage my good ol 100 GB Toshiba hard disk just died.

Hence began the search for a new one, the brands i'm currently considering are Segate, WD and Transcend.

My primary requirements are:

1. Has to be USB 3.0 compatible
2. Has to be a portable 2.5"
3. Only USB powered, no power adapters.

Im told the difference between 1 tb and 500 gb is only about 1000 rupees these days. If so I would't mind going in for a 1 TB USB powered one.

My queries:

1. Does a 1 TB USB powered HD have slower transfer speeds compared to adapter powered ones?
2. Which brand offers the best hassle free service and warranty packages for their drives ?

Advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by funkydevil : 24th May 2011 at 22:01.
funkydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 15:23   #170
BHPian

Wink Re: All about external (backup) hard disks

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
as per hard disk is concerned, make sure you go for brand names, don't buy hard disk by just checking the price tag, don't buy if its cheap.

!. yes you are right, USB powered hard drives has slower transfer speed, because a single has to carry both power and data to the HDD. but USB powered HDD are convenient and portable.

2. The best HDD you can buy Seagate or WD.

while Seagate is famous in India just like how Nokia is famous here.
WD is one of the best selling HDD in USA.

I personally have WD my book 1TB external with power adapter. good transfer speed.

Seagate has got good warranty with pick up and drop facility of HDD in some places. WD has got the same policy. but the catch is,

Seagate will repair the same hard disk and give u, they will not give u a new piece. but WD does give u.. seagate go flex will be the right choice.
udayjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 12:11   #171
BHPian

Guys I had been using 250GB Seagate 3.5" external HDD (ST30003U2) for many yrs but last month one of my relative accidentally moved the USB connected to laptop while transferring the content from this HDD to his laptop.
But now i cant access the data stored in it which i badly want to access it.
It powers up as usual and i can hear the normal sound that any HDD produces,shows power green light and is visible in my computer(has only one partition),computer management<disc management(but as RAW unformatted disc) and some partition creator softwares but when i click on it,it says "you need to format the disc in drive X :before you can use it.do you want to format it".
This may mean that my HDD is not yet dead and somehow i can recover my data that includes pics/clips of my son and many movies in avi format along with usual stuff.
Need some urgent help?
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 16:42   #172
Senior - BHPian

Default WD My Passport

Guys,

Am considering a WD My Passport Essential SE (2.5 Inch) 1 TB External Hard Disk for my backup needs. Just wanted to check if it is compatible with Win7. Also, any feedback on the disk would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 19:56   #173
BHPian

Default Re: WD My Passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

Am considering a WD My Passport Essential SE (2.5 Inch) 1 TB External Hard Disk for my backup needs. Just wanted to check if it is compatible with Win7. Also, any feedback on the disk would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah, works fine with Windows 7. I've used my friends' WD Essential on my Win 7 x64.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 22:21   #174
Senior - BHPian

I have a WD Share space (8TB). It is a network storage. Out of that 4 TB is used for backup and remaining 4 TB is RAID used as mirror.

I was wondering if i can install antivirus and firewall on it back up drive.

has any body tried it yet? Is there a way to do it? I have Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Any advice would be appreciated.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 22:24   #175
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: WD My Passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

Thanks in advance.
Do go ahead with the buy. Its a fantastic hard drive. Make sure you get USB 3.0 support on it. Also make sure you get the softwares for backup. Called as Smartware or something. You can use automatic backup and schedule it and what not. its a neat utility.

Last edited by chevelle : 2nd August 2011 at 22:25.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 22:53   #176
Team-BHP Support

Please note, backup S/W does not work with Ubuntu
(at least I could not make it to work).

But in spite of that software, ( I wiped it clean), rsync works like a charm.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 10:18   #177
Senior - BHPian

Default Error 43 on External Hard drive

Hi guys,

I am facing a peculiar problem with my Seagate 500 GB External Hard drive. When I plug it into the laptop, it turns on and is spinning fine inside. However, its not being recognised and is not displayed in My computer.

Through Device manager, I found that it contains an Error code 43. I went through google and found that all drivers and windows updates were in place.

Strangely, it doesn't work on other laptops. A friend tried it on his desktop where he said that it didn't work on the USB ports on the frontside but worked fine when he plugged it into the rear USB ports.

has any of you faced this issue? How was it resolved? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it contains some very precious data.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 11:06   #178
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Error 43 on External Hard drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
I am facing a peculiar problem with my Seagate 500 GB External Hard drive.
Seagate external USB Hard Drives, especially the recent ones are bad. I have seen my friends HDD go bad fortunately under warranty, but the problem is it has happened thrice for him and every time he has lost important data.

It seems some electronic controller inside the HDD goes bad every time. Since then he has moved to Western Digital Passport. My recommendation is as long as its recognizing on some computer please copy all the important data that's inside, and if its under warranty then get it replaced.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 11:29   #179
BANNED

Usually external HD are powered by USB. The USB cable usually has two USB connectivity to draw enough power. Did you try connecting both USB? Usually HD sometime do not work if both are not connected.
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 12:06   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
The USB cable usually has two USB connectivity to draw enough power.
As far as my knowledge goes the Seagate 500GB never came with two connectors, only 160GB had two connectors because of power hungry, lower capacity drive they used in this model. I say this after an experience of buying 4 Seagates (160GB, 500GB External Powered, 500GB USB Powered, 1TB External Powered) and 2 Western Digital Passport USB HDD (1 TB Each).

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 6th March 2012 at 12:10.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote