Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th March 2012, 12:21   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Error 43 on External Hard drive

You might want to try this link Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Windows XP Professional.

"One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner.

If you have already run the Troubleshooting Wizard, you might want to check the hardware documentation for more information about diagnosing the problem."
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 21:34   #182
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: All about external (backup) hard disks

Recently, my friends external HDD - WD Passport died. But it was bought in the US. He had registered on the site and I am guessing that he has warranty here too. Any advise on how to go about getting it replaced?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:26   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey I have a strange problem. I got some movies from a friend in his hard drive ( regular seagate drive). He uses a Mac. The hard drive was working fine on his comp but its not opening in Windows on my laptop. My laptop recognizes the drive. It shows me the initial message of installing new device etc and I hear the beep that one hears while connecting a new hardware. I even get the safely eject option and the drive is shown there. But in My computer the drive does not show up and hence I am unable to access it. What am I doing wrong? My own External hard drive is working fine.

I tried to run this friend's hard drive in 2 other laptops too ( both windows) and the same problem occurred there too. Can anyone please help me with this?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:35   #184
BHPian

Lightbulb Re: All about external (backup) hard disks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey I have a strange problem. I got some movies from a friend in his hard drive ( regular seagate drive). He uses a Mac. The hard drive was working fine on his comp but its not opening in Windows on my laptop. My laptop recognizes the drive. It shows me the initial message of installing new device etc and I hear the beep that one hears while connecting a new hardware. I even get the safely eject option and the drive is shown there. But in My computer the drive does not show up and hence I am unable to access it. What am I doing wrong? My own External hard drive is working fine.

I tried to run this friend's hard drive in 2 other laptops too ( both windows) and the same problem occurred there too. Can anyone please help me with this?
Probably because it is formatted in the Mac OS format? windows wont recognize it
Bluengel180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 21:09   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Probably because it is formatted in the Mac OS format? windows wont recognize it
But Windows would still recognize it otherwise? As in I get the safe eject logo after inserting the drive and its mentioned under devices and printers in the control panel. Only thing is it doesn't appear in My Computer and hence I cannot access it.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 23:35   #186
BHPian

@DrMohit :
yes, the hard drive will be detected at hardware level , however the data stored on it is in MacOS native format which Windows OS cannot read , it's like a different language - talking in Gujarati to someone who only understands Tamil. What you need to do is copy the data on a USB drive or have it written onto CD/DVD , both of which are more portable across different OS types. Alternative - you can take your PC's drive, which is in FAT32 or NTFS format, and connect to your friend's Mac , the Mac may be able to read/write to NTFS/FAT formatted drives ( Windows does not support Linux/Mac formats , but Linux does understand Windows format, I suppose Mac would as well ).

Last edited by Ricci : 2nd April 2012 at 23:38.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 00:32   #187
Senior - BHPian

Default URGENT HELP : External hard disk full, but files are invisible

I'm facing a VERY STRANGE issue since today.

I use a Western Digital 320 GB external portable hard disk as my backup drive. I store my Movies, Music, TV shows etc in this.

Yesterday, I connected both my external hard disks (the primary one being a 500 GB Buffalo) and transferred a folder containing video files onto the Western Digital. I do this almost everyday, as a backup measure, without any issues till date. I also always use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option before unplugging the hard disk.

Today when I plugged in this disk, I was shocked to see that all files are gone! The Properties tab shows space as used up (i.e. 292 GB used out of total 297 GB) and all folders are intact (ref screenshot). But there aren't ANY files there! This happened under Ubuntu 11.10.

So I switched back to Windows 7 and enabled the 'Show Hidden files and folders' option but to no avail. I ran a disk test and it is perfectly healthy. I also ran 'Recuva' - a free software to recover deleted/corrupted files. It does show me about 80% of the missing files but still the remaining critical 20% are nowhere to be found.

What could be the problem and solution here?
Attached Images

nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:29   #188
Senior - BHPian

Try Activie Undelete and chkdsk with recursive and fix option. I have seen it works sometimes. Haven't had this situation myself but has happened to others and we were trying some tools and after a lot of experiments we were able to recover files using these tools.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 08:45   #189
BANNED

Default Re: URGENT HELP : External hard disk full, but files are invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I'm facing a VERY STRANGE issue since today.

Today when I plugged in this disk, I was shocked to see that all files are gone! The Properties tab shows space as used up (i.e. 292 GB used out of total 297 GB) and all folders are intact (ref screenshot). But there aren't ANY files there! This happened under Ubuntu 11.10.

What could be the problem and solution here?
I think all your files are still there on that disk but not showing up due to some driver issues. try re-installing the driver to see if it solves the problem. It could have also happened if you've used more than max memory usable in the disk.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:32   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm in the market for an external HDD. Reliability is the most important criteria.
Which company has the best track record for reliability ??

I dont move around files everyday so speed is not so critical.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:40   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I'm in the market for an external HDD. Reliability is the most important criteria.
Which company has the best track record for reliability ??

I dont move around files everyday so speed is not so critical.
Are you still in US as your location says? Bestbuy CA has an offer for 3TB external at $120 but it needs a power supply.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...eef83aaf6cen02

If you're in India, you can get a 1TB external without power supply for 4900 (Seagate) on eBay and with power supply for 3990 in Croma (Buffalo).

WD and Seagate, both are very reliable.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:44   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks! yes I am.

Between the 2, Seagate seems better but I am a little wary because my current Seagate has issues with the cable connector having a loose connection. What about the Japs, Toshiba and Hitachi?

This one is recommended by PC mag for performance but no comment on reliability

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup...eeagent+goflex
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:51   #193
BHPian

I'm a Seagate user since the past 5-6 years. Though I've only used their internal hard disks, never had any failures. My current rig has 2 x 1TB Seagate, and is working fine for the past 3-4 years No idea about the Japs though, never used them.

If you don't have any problem in connecting a power supply each time you use a hard disk, nothing can beat the Bestbuy deal. And 500gb feels a tad to less (at least for me)

Last edited by prateekm : 2nd October 2012 at 00:54.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:01   #194
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My Seagate 1 TB drive died on me a month or so ago. I had bought this in Australia. Tried getting it repaired by Seagate in Bombay but they refused to touch it even though I offered to pay for the repairs. Does anyone know where I can get this fixed as I have a lot of data on this drive.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 17:17   #195
Senior - BHPian

I am in the market for an external HDD to store some non-critical data. I have shortlisted between Transcend TS320GSJ25D2 (320 GB - 2889 INR) and Buffalo MiniStation Stealth 500 gb (500 GB - 2890 INR after discount coupons).

Which among them will be a better buy?
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote