Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 19th January 2013, 22:10   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: All about external (backup) hard disks

I want to buy an external hard disk for my laptop and I want to store my personal files therein. Now I want it password protected to deny unauthorised access and to deny view/edit/copy/delete option to anyone. Is it possible? How to do that?
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 22:58   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I want to buy an external hard disk for my laptop and I want to store my personal files therein. Now I want it password protected to deny unauthorised access and to deny view/edit/copy/delete option to anyone. Is it possible? How to do that?
WD passport, which I use (1 TB) have a drive locking software bit. It will ask for a password each time it is plugged in.If not, no data from the HDD can be accessed. I dont know how secure it is. May be the password option may not work at all in Linux due to the magnitude of mounting options available. It also comes with a back up software, which can be used if you have nothing else for that use.
Regards
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:45   #198
Senior - BHPian

Thanks 999!
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 09:55   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
WD passport, which I use (1 TB) have a drive locking software bit. It will ask for a password each time it is plugged in.If not, no data from the HDD can be accessed. I dont know how secure it is. May be the password option may not work at all in Linux due to the magnitude of mounting options available. It also comes with a back up software, which can be used if you have nothing else for that use.
Regards
Hey
I am thinking of buying the WD passport ultra 2tb. Your comments will be highly helpful as I see you have been using it.
Here's the link.
Also if you could guide me to a site which is cheaper.

This question is in general to all:
what's the average life of a hard disk? Have seen many a times the HDD getting spoilt in 2 years time. Is that the average life is? Also what happens to the data which is stored in the HDD when it crashes?
dean5545 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 10:43   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
what's the average life of a hard disk? Have seen many a times the HDD getting spoilt in 2 years time. Is that the average life is? Also what happens to the data which is stored in the HDD when it crashes?
Nothing as such average life of the HDD. Though, most of HDDs that I have used during the last 15 years, including both internal & external ones have never crashed! Though at times, they have driven me nuts with corrupt file system and I may have lost some data at times, but physically, none have died on me. But in my circle, I know a lot of people whose HDDs died within a month of purchase! I can only say that luck is the biggest factor.
As you ask, and to answer, 2 years may not be the average life time. It is actually very difficult to say that will a particular disk will fall on which side of the average life. My first external HDD bought in 2008 (500 GB Transcend) is still working fine. This prompted me to buy another 1TB transcend a few months ago, but that was just one justification rather than logic to buy HDD of the same brand.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 15:03   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it depends on luck! I have had a WD Passport 1 TB for more than 4 years now and it is in great shape. But maybe it also depends on how you use the drive when it is in use. I have seen friends physically just disconnect the drive without unmounting it from the OS, move the drive when it is being read etc. All this surely reduces the life of the drive. When a drive crashes, usually nothing happens to the data. It is all in there, just not physically accessible. In such a case, you can retrieve data. Data usually is lost only when the drive has physical damage.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 20:45   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
As you ask, and to answer, 2 years may not be the average life time. It is actually very difficult to say that will a particular disk will fall on which side of the average life. My first external HDD bought in 2008 (500 GB Transcend) is still working fine. This prompted me to buy another 1TB transcend a few months ago, but that was just one justification rather than logic to buy HDD of the same brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Well, it depends on luck! I have had a WD Passport 1 TB for more than 4 years now and it is in great shape. But maybe it also depends on how you use the drive when it is in use. I have seen friends physically just disconnect the drive without unmounting it from the OS, move the drive when it is being read etc. All this surely reduces the life of the drive. When a drive crashes, usually nothing happens to the data. It is all in there, just not physically accessible. In such a case, you can retrieve data. Data usually is lost only when the drive has physical damage.
Thanks alot guys for the replies!
What do you guys think about the HDD I have mentioned in my previous post?
Old 30th April 2014, 00:09   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Hey
I am thinking of buying the WD passport ultra 2tb. Your comments will be highly helpful as I see you have been using it.
Here's the link.
Also if you could guide me to a site which is cheaper.

My 1TB is still functioning very well. No problems at all. I also bought another 2 TB HDD. I do unmount properly everytime. Also there is not much I/O read movie-music copy/paste).It is more like emails/pictures/documents etc, which are realtively smaller. It should be a contributing factor. Also I unmount properly every time.
I think the average life depends on the I/O and proper usage.
Old 30th April 2014, 00:12   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
My 1TB is still functioning very well. No problems at all. I also bought another 2 TB HDD. I do unmount properly everytime. Also there is not much I/O read movie-music copy/paste).It is more like emails/pictures/documents etc, which are realtively smaller. It should be a contributing factor. Also I unmount properly every time.
I think the average life depends on the I/O and proper usage.
Thanks alot!
P.S.: Didn't expect you to reply since your last seen was quite a few days ago.
Old 30th April 2014, 00:14   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks alot!
P.S.: Didn't expect you to reply since your last seen was quite a few days ago.
no probs. Happy to help. I was travelling. Just reached UK yesterday
Old 27th April 2015, 22:36   #206
BHPian

Guys
Planning to buy a 1TB hard disk.Which brand do you suggest? Please let me know the model also.
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 22:39   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
Planning to buy a 1TB hard disk.Which brand do you suggest? Please let me know the model also.
Which one do you prefer ? External powered or portable? Seagate is quite a good brand.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 22:56   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Guys
Don't buy WD with the proprietary encryption chip in it. Buy something without any extra chips Hitachi /transcend are good.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 00:18   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Guys
If you are looking for a portable drive then, go for the Seagate Backup Plus Slim. It's a very compact drive with fast read and write speeds. I have the 2TB variant and have had no issues so far.

As a second option, you could look at the WD Passport Ultra which has performance similar to the Seagate drive.
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 09:40   #210
BHPian

Guys
What about Toshiba/Sony?
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote