Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 30th April 2015, 10:10   #211
BHPian

Default Re: All about external (backup) hard disks

I have been fiddling with computers since 1982 and my first HD was Seagate 10Mb Winchester drive. Over the years I have used Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, Toshiba HDs for me and my friends. I have lost several HDs but I can vouch for Seagate over any other brand.

Modern HDs are quite protected from vibrations when powered down and the heads are safely parked. But while spinning any movement is a no-no. So make sure that the motor has spun down and stopped completely before moving the drive. Software errors can always be rectified but hardware errors may prove difficult. Solid State Hard Disks on the other hand have no moving parts and overcome the disadvantages of the classic Hard Drives but are very expensive at the moment.

Having said that, all HDs are having motors and platters, totally mechanical, and may fail any time-luck also has a hand. So make back-ups of sensitive and irreplaceable data regularly on separate media.

Last edited by techiecal : 30th April 2015 at 10:18. Reason: More information
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 16:42   #212
Senior - BHPian

I recently bought a western digital 2 tb hardisk from flipkart for Rs.7000.

While copying data, the hard disk fell from the table on the floor and ever since that I was unable to transfer data to and from the disk; the transfer rate fell as low as 10-20 kbs and hdd diagnose software identifying damaged read/write heads. I lost all my 20 tb of data which I transferred to it.

Since my hdd was under 30 days replacement scheme, I got another hdd - though I think it is not brand new as it appears from the packaging but atleast functioning as a new one. I would have lost my 7,000 INR as well if the hdd was not covered under 30 days replacement scheme and this incident would have happened after 30 days of buying a disk.

lessons learnt - to take care of the hdd in use - any kind of shocks or movement can destroy data and the disk itself.
bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 16:49   #213
BHPian

Talk about losing data. I recently erased all data on my 2TB by mistake, on the Mac. Ruing the day as I had important work related stuff in it.
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 08:22   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I recently bought a western digital 2 tb hardisk from flipkart for Rs.7000.

While copying data, the hard disk fell from the table on the floor and ever since that I was unable to transfer data to and from the disk; the transfer rate fell as low as 10-20 kbs and hdd diagnose software identifying damaged read/write heads. I lost all my 20 tb of data which I transferred to it.

Since my hdd was under 30 days replacement scheme, I got another hdd - though I think it is not brand new as it appears from the packaging but atleast functioning as a new one. I would have lost my 7,000 INR as well if the hdd was not covered under 30 days replacement scheme and this incident would have happened after 30 days of buying a disk.

lessons learnt - to take care of the hdd in use - any kind of shocks or movement can destroy data and the disk itself.
Dropping a HDD from table height is third degree torture for any HDD. Yes you were lucky to get the replacement. All manufacturers generally give 'company repaired' drives during replacement. Seagate also has a tag stating that it is a company certified drive. No need to worry, these replacements are as good as new. I have used many replacement drives and they all work like a charm.
Old 13th May 2015, 09:26   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
I have used many replacement drives and they all work like a charm.
+1 when it comes to Seagate I trust their reconditioned/refurbished drives more than I would brand new units But this is a brand I have been avoiding since 2005/2006. Simply don't trust their products.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-...-should-i-buy/

Check Seagate annual failure rates compared to Hitachi and WD.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 10:47   #216
BHPian

WD Passport Ultra is not MAC ready, but Seagate Backup plus is. So Seagate for MAC? 1TB
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 00:56   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Would you not have recourse to the warranty also - 2-3 years ?
Kumar R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 07:20   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Would you not have recourse to the warranty also - 2-3 years ?
He would still be eligible for manufacturer warranty but since the incident happened within the seller warranty he got an immediate replacement. However, seller replacement should have been with a brand new product but it really does'nt matter with these drives as refurbished drives are equally good.
Old 3rd June 2015, 09:45   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Talk about losing data. I recently erased all data on my 2TB by mistake, on the Mac. Ruing the day as I had important work related stuff in it.
Just saw this!

If you've just deleted the files and not written anything to your hard-disk after this you should be able to get your files back easily!

Not sure how it works for Macs, but on PCs this should be a fairly easy recovery if done IMMEDIATELY (ie without much further computer usage of creating more files etc).

Reason:
When files are deleted, they aren't actually removed from the disk. The table of contents just updates to change the deleted filenames. Eg. Honda.doc becomes ?onda.doc in the table of contents (TOC) to show that its deleted. The content of the full file is still on the disk UNLESS a new file comes along and over-writes it. It's only been marked as deleted in the 'index'.

I might be outdated, but this is how its worked in the past.

Hopefully you should be able to recover your work with a simple program like Getdataback.

Goodluck -- and always have daily backups (meaning = DUPLICATES), even of WIP stuff.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:55   #220
BHPian

Quote:
He would still be eligible for manufacturer warranty but since the incident happened within the seller warranty he got an immediate replacement. However, seller replacement should have been with a brand new product but it really does'nt matter with these drives as refurbished drives are equally good.
Thanks for the explanation.

I have used about six external HDDs over the last twelve years (and about as many internal HDDs). My brother has used another six -- in each case a mixture of brands, Seagate, Hitachi, WD. Almost half of these crashed within the warranty period and were replaced.

Personally I believe there is nothing to choose from between these top manufacturers, all are as good (or as bad) as each other. Even the process of getting a replacement was pretty similar.

But the location of the customer service, etc. is a major distinction. At least for me, Seagate in Kolkata has an authorised service centre quite close to my home. Other brands are much, much further away. To that extent I have been choosing Seagate for a while now.

I stongly suggest you check out the location of support centres and if possible give them a call to understand their efficiency before settling in on a brand.

As for chance of collapse, after going through all the cash memos replacement memos of all my HDDs, I found there is approximately a 30%+ chance of a crash within the first three years -- a high rate. Surprisingly the external HDD crash rate is almost triple that of the internal HDDs even though I hardly move the HDDs around much.
Kumar R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:32   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, seller replacement should have been with a brand new product but it really does'nt matter with these drives as refurbished drives are equally good.
I really didn't know if I should have asked for a brand new piece only because the one I got was looking like new but later I got to know it is opened product but is working properly.
bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:28   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly the external HDD crash rate is almost triple that of the internal HDDs even though I hardly move the HDDs around much.
One must be gentle with externals of course, but there are other factors that lead to early failure. One is that the drive is too tightly packed in the external enclosure and provides no ventilation, so running temp is high which is an important factor for longetivity of the drive. Internal drives are always well ventilated. Another point is that the speed of read/write is slower which in turn makes the external drive work longer for the same volume of data, leading to more drive wear.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th June 2015 at 16:21. Reason: Fixing quote...
Old 5th June 2015, 16:33   #223
Senior - BHPian

I remember buying a 640GB Transcend External Hard Drive a few years ago. It died on me just after 2 years, once the warranty period was done. Like a ticking time bomb!

Been keeping away from External Hard Drives since then. Far too susceptible to data loss in my opinion. Unless SSDs become economically pragmatic, I guess I will have to stick to internal HDDs.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 09:37   #224
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan. I did try every trick to recover those files (its tough on the Mac), but only the light files (Images and Gifs, documents etc) showed up. Then I realised that maybe its a sign from above that I leave behind legacy and concentrate on doing new stuff.

Post that I reformatted the drive and am reusing it, with a valuable lesson learnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Just saw this!

If you've just deleted the files and not written anything to your hard-disk after this you should be able to get your files back easily!

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th June 2015 at 12:45. Reason: Fixing quote. Hope you now also back-up -> meaning have MORE than 1 copy of all files! :)
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 07:59   #225
BHPian

Can anyone link me to a good online deal for a 1 tb portable drive for my Mac.
I need it to be genuine and Mac compatible.
If there is a discount coupon on the online website that will be great too.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote