Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 7th June 2015, 13:44   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Can anyone link me to a good online deal for a 1 tb portable drive for my Mac.
I need it to be genuine and Mac compatible.
If there is a discount coupon on the online website that will be great too.

Just pickup any drive WD is recommended all they need is a correct formatting hfs/ext3/ext4/hfs.

If you have a windows machine as well any drive reformatted in the above formats will work
babhishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 13:57   #227
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: All about external (backup) hard disks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Been keeping away from External Hard Drives since then. Far too susceptible to data loss in my opinion. Unless SSDs become economically pragmatic, I guess I will have to stick to internal HDDs.
Remember no hardware is fail proof. All drives whether internal or external SSD or mechanical will eventually fail. Not a question of If, but a question of when.

My longest lasting drives have been the WD Green models used in internal & external (USB Drive) duty. Plus I learned 9 years back never to touch a Seagate. I stay far away from them. WD drives also fail but their failure rates are far lower in my experience.

I've had SSDs, external drives and internal drives failing on me. Maybe I am jinxed My solution? 3 backups (internal, external USB with RAID + NAS with RAID) + cloud based. With this level of redundancy I don't care too much should a drive conk off.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:50   #228
Senior - BHPian

Any worthwile Cloud storage options? Which are safe and have some kind of encryption option?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 23:08   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Any worthwile Cloud storage options? Which are safe and have some kind of encryption option?
I use Crashplan. There are several other alternatives are Backblaze, Carbonite, Mozy etc. Do your research and a trial run before signing up for a contract. My other backup (mostly for my mobile phone and sundry files) is Dropbox. I am not too comfortable with Google Drive given the company's snoopy nature and MS OneDrive which I believe is not as popular as the others.
Old 26th June 2015, 20:40   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Remember no hardware is fail proof. All drives whether internal or external SSD or mechanical will eventually fail. Not a question of If, but a question of when.

My longest lasting drives have been the WD Green models used in internal & external (USB Drive) duty. Plus I learned 9 years back never to touch a Seagate. I stay far away from them. WD drives also fail but their failure rates are far lower in my experience.

I've had SSDs, external drives and internal drives failing on me. Maybe I am jinxed My solution? 3 backups (internal, external USB with RAID + NAS with RAID) + cloud based. With this level of redundancy I don't care too much should a drive conk off.
Seagate has deteriorated as of late, but my 8 year old Seagate 750GB SATA disks are still going strong on my desktop (though 2 160 GB have failed after 12 years of service).

Now a days I buy WD when ever needed - 2TB internal or 1TB external.
Aroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 21:39   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Seagate has deteriorated as of late, but my 8 year old Seagate 750GB SATA disks are still going strong on my desktop (though 2 160 GB have failed after 12 years of service).

Now a days I buy WD when ever needed - 2TB internal or 1TB external.

This may be of interest to you.

Backblaze, the cloud backup service I refered to below reports on failures based on their experience with 1000s of drives from major manufacturers i.e. Hitachi, WD & Seagate.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...le-hard-drives

Seagate fares far worse than the others (WD & Hitachi). This has mirrored my findings. Seagate hasn't really improved its quality over the years. Though my PCs don't run 24x7 they do run about 10-14 hours a day and more over the weekend. Which IMO is probably more than an average home user.

There are more statistics should you be interested.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th June 2015 at 21:40.
Old 27th June 2015, 18:27   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Seagate fares far worse than the others (WD & Hitachi). This has mirrored my findings. Seagate hasn't really improved its quality over the years. Though my PCs don't run 24x7 they do run about 10-14 hours a day and more over the weekend. Which IMO is probably more than an average home user.
Some models of HDD turn out to be failures. One cannot generalize the brand because of a particular model. Even in the backblaze study the emphasis is on Seagate 3TB. 4TB and 6TB have on the other hand performed well.
I have used all makes of drives since 1990 and have personally experienced this. Some models of each manufacturer failed miserably while another model performed admirably. Even Aroy has Seagate drives that are performing for 12 years!!
All drive makers have evolved over the years but sometimes lemon models do roll out with each brand.

Last edited by techiecal : 27th June 2015 at 18:42.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 19:17   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Some models of HDD turn out to be failures. One cannot generalize the brand because of a particular model. Even in the backblaze study the emphasis is on Seagate 3TB. 4TB and 6TB have on the other hand performed well.
I have used all makes of drives since 1990 and have personally experienced this. Some models of each manufacturer failed miserably while another model performed admirably. Even Aroy has Seagate drives that are performing for 12 years!!
All drive makers have evolved over the years but sometimes lemon models do roll out with each brand.
I've too been using Seagate (and other brands like Quantum, IBM, Maxtor, Hitachi etc) starting from the early 90s and never had problems with Seagate till the mid 2000 models.

The report is there and it is for each reader to reach his own set of conclusions and decide whether to purchase or not to purchase current Seagate products.

Also, I am of the opinion the larger the drive the more data you stand to lose when it dies..so when 3, 4 & 6 TB drives are shown as comparatively unreliable, as a customer I would be more inclined to buying products with lower failure rates i.e. Hitachi & WD.
Old 23rd July 2015, 18:19   #234
BHPian

Dear Experts,

Don't know if this might be the right place to post but found this thread on external hard disk. So here it goes:

Yesterday, me and my office colleague were together for transferring data from the external hard disk to the PC when the hard disk fell down on floor after it slipped from my colleague's hand. Since then, the PC is not recognizing the disk and there is very low noise coming out once it is plugged into the computer. The disk was of Seagate 1 TB and data of 400 GB was there which is very important and some of the documents are confidential too.

We have never come across such situation and looking for possible solutions out of the below:
1. Either get the hard disk rectified
2. Extract and retrieve the data from the disk

Anyone here can help regarding reliable source in Delhi and how much time it will require to rectify or retrieve the data from the disk? What could be the expenses involved?

Called Seagate service centre and they flatly refused to retrieve or repair the disk.

An urgent and early response would be HIGHLY appreciated since the hard disk either gets fixed else data needs to be retrieved at the earliest.

Thank you!
metropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 18:55   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
Dear Experts,

Don't know if this might be the right place to post but found this thread on external hard disk. So here it goes:

Yesterday, me and my office colleague were together for transferring data from the external hard disk to the PC when the hard disk fell down on floor after it slipped from my colleague's hand. Since then, the PC is not recognizing the disk and there is very low noise coming out once it is plugged into the computer. The disk was of Seagate 1 TB and data of 400 GB was there which is very important and some of the documents are confidential too.

We have never come across such situation and looking for possible solutions out of the below:
1. Either get the hard disk rectified
2. Extract and retrieve the data from the disk

Anyone here can help regarding reliable source in Delhi and how much time it will require to rectify or retrieve the data from the disk? What could be the expenses involved?

Called Seagate service centre and they flatly refused to retrieve or repair the disk.

An urgent and early response would be HIGHLY appreciated since the hard disk either gets fixed else data needs to be retrieved at the earliest.

Thank you!
You may have either a loose/broken connection at the best and a damaged platter at the worst. I suspect connection as the disk is not recognized.

1. If you can open up the case, you can check if any connector is loose/broken. Just open up the connectors and reinsert them.

2. If it is a SATA HDD and the above does not help, you can connect it to a desktop SATA connector and see if it is recognized. What ever you do, DO NOT let Windows go into the CHKDSK routine.

If neither of these help, then you may have damaged the platters. In that case you have to go for specialized data recovery service which is extremely expensive. You may PM me if nothing works.
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:05   #236
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 29th February 2016 at 14:24.
metropolis is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 23rd July 2015, 23:00   #237
BHPian

My WD Passport 1 TB external hard disk gave away last week. It came online couple of times and that was only time i could do all the data copy.

I did loose some of the data :( . Since the drive is still in warranty, WD is sending me a replacement. But not sure how long that is going to last since the one got faulty is just 2 years old.

Is it a known issue with WD Passport drives??
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 20:09   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
My WD Passport 1 TB external hard disk gave away last week. It came online couple of times and that was only time i could do all the data copy.

I did loose some of the data :( . Since the drive is still in warranty, WD is sending me a replacement. But not sure how long that is going to last since the one got faulty is just 2 years old.

All drives fail, and most of the failures are either within first few week (manufacturing defects?) or after 5 years. When 320GB WD drives first came, I bought one. It packed up withing 6 months. As the 320GB drive was phased out, I got a 750GB as a replacement. That has been going strong for last 4 years.

If data is important and irreplaceable, then I suggest using two drives for archiving; I have the older 750GB and a newer 1TB; for critical data.
Old 7th August 2015, 13:03   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
By definition the cloud is not safe. But if you really want a provider with focus on security you can try Spider Oak. Even Edward Snowden recommends it.
RocketRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 15:11   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post

I've been very unlucky with Seagate though. Very bad failures. But WD has been great - have had an external for more than 5 years now - 1TB without any issues. And internal - 2 2TB drives. Touch wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
By definition the cloud is not safe. But if you really want a provider with focus on security you can try Spider Oak. Even Edward Snowden recommends it.
Hehehe, then I need to check it out. Oh I am sure the NSA is in there too
naveenroy is online now   Reply With Quote