Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 13th January 2009, 15:55   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Sorry to post a dumb question (I am totally non-technical) - what makes an external hard drive "really good". That is, how do you judge its goodness. I recently bought a 160 gb WD. How do I know if it's good or bad or average? I mean what are the parameters that one should check? Also, how does one find out the crash-proofness of a hard drive?
Sorry if this is a dumb question.
I have a WD 160GB drive brought 2+ ~ years back and it is still doing everyday duty. Now run most of my VPC images off it, so there is a considerable amount of hard disk activity all the time.

And how do u know a HD is good or not, well, if it performs its read and write operation well, it is good. But then, all HD will be good! It is the time for which this performance is maintained, that is important.

... All this means, I have no idea what the right answer is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
...I have a Pdf file to make you understand this however i am not able to figure out how to post it here. Any help ?
Did you try putting it up as an attachement? Go to advance reply or quote function and attach the document.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 16:15   #107
BHPian

Hi. Does any one have problems like me with a WD Passport Drive.

I have a 250 GB model, bought it 5 months back. It used to work earlier and i transferred lots of stuff onto it. But now it keeps coming up as USB device not recognised.

I have tried all sorts of things like uninstalling the device driver etc. but it still does not work. Meanwhile my friends who bought 160 GB passports are all happy as they work fine.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 16:42   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I have a WD 160GB drive brought 2+ ~ years back and it is still doing everyday duty. Now run most of my VPC images off it, so there is a considerable amount of hard disk activity all the time.

And how do u know a HD is good or not, well, if it performs its read and write operation well, it is good. But then, all HD will be good! It is the time for which this performance is maintained, that is important.

... All this means, I have no idea what the right answer is!

Did you try putting it up as an attachement? Go to advance reply or quote function and attach the document.
Thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Sorry to post a dumb question (I am totally non-technical) - what makes an external hard drive "really good". That is, how do you judge its goodness. I recently bought a 160 gb WD. How do I know if it's good or bad or average? I mean what are the parameters that one should check? Also, how does one find out the crash-proofness of a hard drive?
Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Attaching the file.
It meets all of the criteria's stated in the file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf olixir-art1.pdf (253.4 KB, 360 views)
harry10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 10:25   #109
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Harry for taking all the trouble to educate me. But going through the document I realised that one can't really pass a judgement on the quality without using it for some time and hence brand image is important here. WD incidentally has a three year warranty, though it will be useless if important data is lost through a crash.
I couldn't find out the sub-brand written anywhere on the drive that I bought. Could it have been written on the cardboard box? I threw it away. So now how do I know if it's a Passport or not?
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 11:35   #110
BHPian

I am getting a 1TB External HDD from Maxtor @6000 INR. Is this a good deal or do we have any better deals in Pune? I am getting this from www.deltapage.com, 5800 + 200 (for courier).
Ferrari1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 12:49   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Harry for taking all the trouble to educate me. But going through the document I realised that one can't really pass a judgement on the quality without using it for some time and hence brand image is important here. WD incidentally has a three year warranty, though it will be useless if important data is lost through a crash.
I couldn't find out the sub-brand written anywhere on the drive that I bought. Could it have been written on the cardboard box? I threw it away. So now how do I know if it's a Passport or not?
If you run into issues like the below then your HD is not really good otherwise it is :-) Simple isn't?

Quote:
I have a 250 GB model, bought it 5 months back. It used to work earlier and i transferred lots of stuff onto it. But now it keeps coming up as USB device not recognised.

I have tried all sorts of things like uninstalling the device driver etc. but it still does not work. Meanwhile my friends who bought 160 GB passports are all happy as they work fine.
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 12:56   #112
Senior - BHPian

Yeah. So it's like a haircut. You learn that the barber doesn't know his job only after he has goofed up with your hair.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 13:17   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah. So it's like a haircut. You learn that the barber doesn't know his job only after he has goofed up with your hair.
EXACTLY!

Now Sudipto, you are enlightened!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 16:10   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pleasure always.
Passport is the one which has no power adapter attached to it.
Will just explain in reference to the document about Seagate i bought-
1.- Fast data transfer is there
2.- Reliable and Durable.
3.- Easy to use.
4.- Very compact.
5.- Warranty of 5 years.
6.- Not expensive- Bought 320gb for 4925 INR.

Had researched before buying like i always do for any product. My bro whose been to US a few times and has better knowledge in such stuff told me the following order if we consider brand wise-
1.- Seagate
2.- WD
3.- Maxtor
and so on.

WD is quiet reliable and good as many friends of mine are using it so you need not worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
I am getting a 1TB External HDD from Maxtor @6000 INR. Is this a good deal or do we have any better deals in Pune? I am getting this from www.deltapage.com, 5800 + 200 (for courier).
Here in Delhi i was getting that for 5300. Didn't bought cos it had a power adaptor and big in size as well.

Quote:
That got me in splits. Well we can be a bit cautious and get to know the reputation of the barber beforehand by sources and same applies in buying a new product.
Old 14th January 2009, 18:07   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
I have the same, picked it up from Bangalore for 6k.
So far no problems with it. Very silent and efficient.
Transfer is a bit slow, but fast enough to stream music/videos off it.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 18:19   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I have the same, picked it up from Bangalore for 6k.
So far no problems with it. Very silent and efficient.
Transfer is a bit slow, but fast enough to stream music/videos off it.

Are these USB powered or do you need a separate power supply?
cruiser_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 20:59   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
Are these USB powered or do you need a separate power supply?
Yes you need a seperate power supply for these.
Old 21st May 2009, 10:17   #118
F50
Senior - BHPian

Need a 500gb Portable with firewire. Which one is best and cost?
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 11:04   #119
Team-BHP Support

If you want a HDD without need of external power supply, the max you can go to is 500GB currently.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 13:48   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Need a 500gb Portable with firewire. Which one is best and cost?
Seagate and WD has portable 500gb currently.
Cost is between 7-8k