Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2008, 06:29   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
ash_edged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London
Posts: 84
Thanked: Once
Default Advice on Home Theatre Amplifier

Hi guys !

I recently bought a

Sony 46" HD Ready LCD
Sony KDL46S2530U KDL46S2530U

and got surround spekers from US

BOSE Acoustimass 10
Bose Acoustimass 10 Home Theater Speaker System with 5.1 Surround Sound

Now I am in a fix of what amplifier should I buy with these ?

I dont have a clue as to what might be the best option help me out here. My budget for the amp is about about 400
ash_edged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 09:14   #2
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

My 2cents

The options are vast depending on your budget.
You need to checkout the prices in the UK.

Be sure to look for the following in your AVR

- HDMI input and outputs
- At least 1 digital Co-axial and one or more Optical input sources
The more the better because you would want to connect the following

- Your TV
- Your DVD player
- Your Gaming console
- Your CD player if you have a dedicated one for music

- While testing the Amp besides Movie Surroundsound do make sure
you take your own music CD's and check the Stereo ouput.
( Note the AVR needs to be setup right for Stereo to sound good.
I have experience with ONKYO sounding awful with the default setting,
You change this and the same AVR sounds great. )

- Support of the most common decoding of
DTS,DTS/ET,Dolby Digital/ DD EX , Dolby/DTS TrueHD, ProLogic II
THX (This is just a certification not a must, They would have omitted
going for this certification to keep the costs low)

Disks you can use to test your Amp.
Music
- Eagles DTS ver of Farewell tour, or Hell Freezes over
- Any other CD for music based on your preference

(The speakers matter here, No offense to you, but in my opinion Bose is not worth the price. There are other speakers that are far better in the same price range. But this is another topic so leave it )

Movies for surround sound
- 300 (Has awesome surround sound)
- Kill Bill ( Fight sequence )
- Ice Age ( opening shot just prior to the titles)
- Bugs Life (to check for minute sounds like breathing, walking etc.. )
Its also good to buy a DEMO DVD, THX has these DVD's available.

Once you are all set with this check the following Amps, select the model
based on your budget.

- Onkyo ( TX-SR875 is great lower models are also equally good)
- Denon ( hyped up a lot , but good quality)
- Arcam (AVR280 is great, check lower models for your budget)
- Yamaha ( cheap amps )
- Sony ( STR-DA1200ES cheap model)

For a low budget with quality I would recommend Onkyo, though some on
this forum might not agree
cheers:
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 09:30   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,711
Thanked: 1,084 Times
Default

I hate to do this to you , but
intellexual net m k i v
I hope you got them as a gift!
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 11:18   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

I am very sorry to say but why BOSE.

intellexual net m k i v
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 22:01   #5
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
ash_edged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London
Posts: 84
Thanked: Once
Default

Thanks Fillmore !

Finalised on Onkyo ... dont want to take Yamaha or Sony as I have had them earlier. I know I told the same about BOSE to my brother he chose them and got from US as the LCD was my choice. Guess illl have to live with it for the next couple of years !

Cheers guyz !
ash_edged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 23:42   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_edged View Post
Thanks Fillmore !

Finalised on Onkyo ... dont want to take Yamaha or Sony as I have had them earlier. I know I told the same about BOSE to my brother he chose them and got from US as the LCD was my choice. Guess illl have to live with it for the next couple of years !

Cheers guyz !
Chalo it is better than nothing. Enjoy music and movies.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 12:44   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,630
Thanked: 328 Times
Default

Hi ash_edged, Onkyo is a good choice. Bose is not my favourite speaker brand, but as you said, you did not have a choice.
Could you please give details about which model of amplifier/receiver u finalised on? Thanx.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 14:04   #8
BHPian
 
vintagepoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jeddah/Hyd
Posts: 411
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

I am using Bose Acoustimas-6 (5 cube speakers) Bose Woofer connected
to Yamaha Rx640RDS Amplifier with Sony Digital TV. It gives me very good sound effects, specially I tried on movies like Conair, Fast & Furious, Terminator 3. Anyway you already finalized on Onkyo that is also very good Amplifier.

Cheers!
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 14:08   #9
BHPian
 
srasania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Posts: 321
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I have a 46 inch Sharp Aqous D64U series, on which I've attached this Pioneer 5.1 system..and works like a charm..
Pioneer - 860W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System/DVD/CD - HTP-2950DV

I would strongly suggest pioneer...the AV receiver has been good for me..with 2 digital co ax inputs and 1 optical input, along with a few other normal stereo inputs and an ipod input jack on the front too..
plus, according to best buy sales reps, the pioneer dvd upconversion is the best among all the upconverting dvd players (the dvd player included with this system was 1080p upconverting player).
I've connected my HD Set Top Box, PS3, VCR, Pioneer DVD player, Netgear Wireless Media Adapter and CD player to the AV receiver..everything works well..I suggest Pioneer by personal experience..but Onkyo (a bit more expensive) as well as Yamaha(same priced as Pioneer) would be other alternatives..
-sr
srasania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 19:24   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

All AVR's in India are highly expensive compared to the US. If you can get someone to carry it for you then you would save almost 50% on cost.

Get one with HDMI as that's the way to go.

I personally have a Harmon Kardon and its very good. Denon/Pioneer/Onkyo are also excellent. Onkyo in Indian showrooms costs twice as much as in the US !!
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 05:47   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 16
Thanked: 0 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
All AVR's in India are highly expensive compared to the US. If you can get someone to carry it for you then you would save almost 50% on cost.

Get one with HDMI as that's the way to go.

I personally have a Harmon Kardon and its very good. Denon/Pioneer/Onkyo are also excellent. Onkyo in Indian showrooms costs twice as much as in the US !!

Hi - I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic projector that is not yet marketed in India and an Onkyo AVR. I'll be going to USA soon. Do you know whether the warranty for either of the equipments would be valid in India or not? Or would I have to send them back to USA if something goes wrong within the warranty period. Do you know anyone who got similar gadgets from USA? Thanks for your input. Agni.
agnisumita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 08:20   #12
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Advice on Home Theatre Amplifier

If you are going to get a Projector from the US, plan up the entire setup upfront and better to buy all the accessories you will need cause all of these will be cheap in the US when compared to India.

1. I assume you will be mounting it on the ceiling
Purchase the ceiling mount brackets (if it does not come free with the projector)

2. Did you consider where you would be placing your DVD Player?
Placing it on the ceiling would require you to be able to access to the dvd player to insert / remove DVD's + I think the remote has to have a direct line of view to the front panel of the player.

3. If you place it somewhere on a table, measure the length of cable you will need to connect the DVD player to the projector, I guess in the US such long HDMI cables would be available (matters only if your projector is a HD ready projector, Even otherwise you have to do the same for component)

4. If your ceiling is not high and you can place the DVD player near the projector mounted on the ceiling, Consider the Audio co-axial/optical cable you will need to run from DVD player to AVR.

5. Given the cost of the projector / lamps, For usage in India it would be wise to power it via a good quality voltage stabilizer so plan on the electric wiring for that. A direct power point on the ceiling might not serve the purpose here. (don't get this from the US)

6. Might as well buy a screen as well.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 21:13   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 16
Thanked: 0 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
If you are going to get a Projector from the US, plan up the entire setup upfront and better to buy all the accessories you will need cause all of these will be cheap in the US when compared to India.

1. I assume you will be mounting it on the ceiling
Purchase the ceiling mount brackets (if it does not come free with the projector)

2. Did you consider where you would be placing your DVD Player?
Placing it on the ceiling would require you to be able to access to the dvd player to insert / remove DVD's + I think the remote has to have a direct line of view to the front panel of the player.

3. If you place it somewhere on a table, measure the length of cable you will need to connect the DVD player to the projector, I guess in the US such long HDMI cables would be available (matters only if your projector is a HD ready projector, Even otherwise you have to do the same for component)

4. If your ceiling is not high and you can place the DVD player near the projector mounted on the ceiling, Consider the Audio co-axial/optical cable you will need to run from DVD player to AVR.

5. Given the cost of the projector / lamps, For usage in India it would be wise to power it via a good quality voltage stabilizer so plan on the electric wiring for that. A direct power point on the ceiling might not serve the purpose here. (don't get this from the US)

6. Might as well buy a screen as well.
Thanks Fillmore - I'm thinking of going for the new Pany AE 2000 which is 1080P. I'll get the bracket for the ceiling mount from whereever I would end up buying the PJ. But my main concerns are regarding warranty. Anyone having any idea/experience of having to use the warranty for similar gadgets from the US? Thanks.
agnisumita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 00:40   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnisumita View Post
Hi - I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic projector that is not yet marketed in India and an Onkyo AVR. I'll be going to USA soon. Do you know whether the warranty for either of the equipments would be valid in India or not? Or would I have to send them back to USA if something goes wrong within the warranty period. Do you know anyone who got similar gadgets from USA? Thanks for your input. Agni.
You need to get international warranty. Otherwise it is not valid. Some companies provide International warranty free, some for a charge. You have to call and check.

However damage during transit would not be covered !!
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 15:16   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 41
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnisumita View Post
Hi - I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic projector that is not yet marketed in India and an Onkyo AVR. I'll be going to USA soon. Do you know whether the warranty for either of the equipments would be valid in India or not? Or would I have to send them back to USA if something goes wrong within the warranty period. Do you know anyone who got similar gadgets from USA? Thanks for your input. Agni.
Last year I've bought a Onkyo-504 DVD player and a Onkyo-575 receiver from US (onecall.com) and carried to India. Almost 99% of the online dealers and stores (Best buy/Circuit city) will not provide international warranty. But I've checked with the Onkyo service center in Chennai before buying the stuff that they can service these models (for a fee, of course) if something went wrong. So you can follow the same strategy and check with your local service center whether they can be serviced.

Also both my DVD and AVR work only in 110 V. I got a 220 V to 110 V converter fabricated (Rs.3200) locally.
shenbag63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Theatre Projector Samurai Gadgets, Computers & Software 128 28th April 2017 16:22
Designing a Home Theatre System Samurai Gadgets, Computers & Software 47 26th February 2014 12:56
Speaker Wires and RCA for Home Theatre viper Gadgets, Computers & Software 51 13th July 2009 06:48
Sony home theatre chetan Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 9th June 2009 09:23
Advice for Home Theatre viper Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 13th May 2006 09:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks