Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 19th November 2011, 21:59   #61
BHPian

Hi, I have not done it but I remember GK vale in malleswaram does servicing. Call and check with them if possible
aravind84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 10:40   #62
BHPian

There is a thread dedicated to telescopes and binos, requesting mods to merge this thread.

Unlike Palika Bazar optical dealers in New Delhi, I have not come across anyone in Bangalore repairing the binos, let alone finding a good pair is rather Herculean task. There is a wonderful google group dedicated to astronomy, called Bangalore Astronomical Society(BAS). They will definitely be able to assist you, do a search in google to find them.
doxinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 13:48   #63
BHPian

Default re: Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?

Hi Stargazing BHPians! Bumping an old thread for some new info!

We're on the lookout for buying our first telescope basically for night sky watching and have zeroed in on "Orion SkyScanner 100 mm TableTop Reflector" as it seems to be good for someone who's new to this hobby, besides being compact and easy to use and store.

We've checked the website of Tejraj & Co where this model is listed out and wanted to know from some of you who have bought telescopes and other items from Tejraj about your experience generally how good is this dealer and do the items arrive without any delays/issues?

Thanks in advance!
SuperSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 14:51   #64
Senior - BHPian

Default The Binoculars guide

I am planning to gift my dad a good binocular.

He had this wish for a very long time to own one but did not acquire it for no particular reason.

Really confused about buying the right one since I m a complete novice on this. Hence please help me choose the right one.

Specifications-

1. Which make / model? Good basic model with standard features (for a first time user for bird/ nature watching. Checked out a few brands but not sure)

2. Where to buy? (India or abroad, online or store - checked out few options both sides - flipkart, argos. If abroad US or UK, can ask some one to bring it along)

3. At what price for the above two points?

Any guidance on this would be really helpful. Planning to gift him on his birthday in July if possible.

Last edited by girishglg : 18th June 2012 at 15:06. Reason: Mods please review the post placement
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 15:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg
I am planning to gift my dad a good binocular.

He had this wish for a very long time to own one but did not acquire it for no particular reason.

Really confused about buying the right one since I m a complete novice on this. Hence please help me choose the right one.

Specifications-

1. Which make / model? Good basic model with standard features (for a first time user for bird/ nature watching. Checked out a few brands but not sure)

2. Where to buy? (India or abroad, online or store - checked out few options both sides - flipkart, argos. If abroad US or UK, can ask some one to bring it along)

3. At what price for the above two points?

Any guidance on this would be really helpful. Planning to gift him on his birthday in July if possible.
Visit forum. There is that Whizz photography shop there. He has some excellent binocs. I bought a pair of excellent Nikons there a few years ago.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 07:01   #66
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?

Just some fun with my Binoculars.

This building is 6 kms away. Straight line distance.
My Binoculars are 7*35.
My Camera is a old and trusty Olympus D-580.

Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?-lanco.jpg
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 21:08   #67
Senior - BHPian

Guys, planning to gift this binoculars to a friend. If any of you own this, please do post a review of the model. Intended for casual observation, nothing in specific.

http://www.flipkart.com/celestron-7-...7-a143193a0749

I am unable to figure out whether this belongs to the upclose series, but have been unsuccessful so far. Flipkart customer care has no clue about the model/series. The only info I could get from them was the prism used is BAK-4 prisms. Also, judging by the size, I am assuming it is a porro prism and not roof mounted.

Any help would be appreciated, need to buy it ASAP.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 16:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Hi Stargazing BHPians! Bumping an old thread for some new info!

We're on the lookout for buying our first telescope basically for night sky watching and have zeroed in on "Orion SkyScanner 100 mm TableTop Reflector" as it seems to be good for someone who's new to this hobby, besides being compact and easy to use and store.

We've checked the website of Tejraj & Co where this model is listed out and wanted to know from some of you who have bought telescopes and other items from Tejraj about your experience generally how good is this dealer and do the items arrive without any delays/issues?

Thanks in advance!
I have purchased one from them long back and it arrived in an excellent condition. It has been with me for almost 10 years now but the mirror needs some work and calibrations. Not finding anyone to do it here so need help. Anyone knows who can set my telescope right in and around Chandigarh?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 15:27   #69
BHPian

Hi,

I want to buy my first binocular, and have finalized Celestron UpClose G2 10x50, available in online stores 3-3.5K. any pointers for best prices is appreciated.

the intended use is general nature, wildlife etc on trips. may give try at stars!

Query: is a tripod really required for normal viewing ? a quick response is appreciated, need to buy this week itself.

thanks,
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 15:38   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi,

Query: is a tripod really required for normal viewing ? a quick response is appreciated, need to buy this week itself.

thanks,
A binocular would ideally not need a Tripod.

Your eyes will be easily able to adapt to slight body movements. Just hold them firmly and stand straight with feet slightly apart.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 15:58   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A binocular would ideally not need a Tripod.

Your eyes will be easily able to adapt to slight body movements. Just hold them firmly and stand straight with feet slightly apart.
thanks for the lightening fast response! I would update this thread upon my buy.
Old 9th October 2012, 14:33   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi,

I want to buy my first binocular, and have finalized Celestron UpClose G2 10x50, available in online stores 3-3.5K. any pointers for best prices is appreciated.

the intended use is general nature, wildlife etc on trips. may give try at stars!

thanks,
Hi:

I am not sure if you are familiar with a 10x50. It can be bulky both in size and weight. This can lead to a shaky view and discomfort while holding for an extended period of time. Generally, 7x35 or 8x40 are recommended for nature and wildlife.

I would reccommend that you try out the sizes at a local store before finalizing your purchase. If you are comfortable with the 10x50 size, sure go ahead with it.
chaudhrysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 20:59   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
Hi:

I am not sure if you are familiar with a 10x50. It can be bulky both in size and weight. This can lead to a shaky view and discomfort while holding for an extended period of time. Generally, 7x35 or 8x40 are recommended for nature and wildlife.

I would reccommend that you try out the sizes at a local store before finalizing your purchase. If you are comfortable with the 10x50 size, sure go ahead with it.
this weekend had to travel Vadodara for some sudden personal work and afternoon slot was empty. Went to a store and checked few 7x35, 8x40, 12x50 by Nikon and Olympus. Gazing over the crowded road, I was impressed with the higher magnification one. The idea was just to understand the size and comfort of 10x, though the test was limited to few minutes only.
Price-wise Celestron 10x50 would be VFM for a starter like me , keeping aside the granular specs of optics within.

thanks,
Old 7th November 2012, 09:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

In a recent exhibition I came across Nikon stall with binoculars in sale. The basic one costed some where around 4k.

Which model / specification in Nikon would you suggest considering it for a novice using occassionally since I have no clue about binoculars.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:08   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Friends,

Will like to share an image that I took quite some time back. The subject is the moon and my telescope is a Celestron 114 EQ. Has pretty good magnification & the quality of optics is really good. Images are sharp.

The image is clicked at moderate magnification level of 45X. The optimal level can go upto 225-250X. The max I can attain is 675X, but would work well with only brighter subjects. 225X is good for planets.

Camera used for taking the image is a Canon EOS 400D.

Regards,
Saket
Attached Thumbnails
Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?-sakets.jpg  

saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote