Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 7th March 2008, 16:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Yesterday was at Reliance Digital Retail, Vashi and the assistants were telling me that Philips has introduced a new model with HDMI and USB , which they had brought to demonstrate for Reliance this week. They said price was sub 4K. After reading your thread I assume it must be the same one which you purchased, though you mentioned a price of 4K+.
Philips has FOUR models currently with the USB feature... Namely

DVP3166/94
DVP3166X/94 @ 4499/-

DVP3256/94 @ ???

DVP5965K/96 @ 4999/-

DVP5986K/98 @ 5499/-

All prices are MRP, one might typically be able get at least 1k off this price. The last two come with HDMI connection and upscaling as well

Last edited by kb100 : 7th March 2008 at 16:21.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread, andro. But since your purpose seems to be solved, just a question. What format do you rip the DVDs into? I assume avi. However, if it a foreign language DVD, is it possible to rip it with an english subtitle (assuming it is available in the orginal DVD) into avi?
Try Magic DVD Ripper. I recently ripped 'Cidade De Deus' along with English subtitles. Nice print and great audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Here is what I finally ended up buying (for the benefit of people with similar requirements):

Model:
Philips DVP5986K/98

Price:
Rs4,700. Along with a Rs.600 HDMI cable from the same shop.

Shop:
Philips Arena
296/D, 9th Main Rd, 38th Cross,
Jayanagar 5th Block, (Near Telephone Exchange)
Bangalore-560 041.
Tel : (080) 41502100 / 01
Contact person: Mr Jay (Very helpful)

Experience:
+ve:
I am able to play lot of downloaded movies (with size up to 1.5GB) off my 8-GB pen drive. My 8-GB pen drive is of some unknown el cheapo brand and it is mighty slow even with computer. So the DVD player is taking some time (3 minutes?) to start the movie - but no problems once the movie starts. I noticed it is much faster with a 2-GB pen drive.
USB support is a must for me because even when I rent DVDs, i usually rip them and watch it leisurely as I hate watching today just so I can return it tomorrow :-)

-ve:
1. My digital camera (casio) video codecs are not supported by this DVD player. So I can see my camera videos only with TV out, and not directly using the DVD player off an SD card reader (to save camera battery). Too bad, but I can live with it.
2. User interface/remote is so-so. I could not adjust the slide show duration.

Conclusion: One of the few (if not the only) DVD players with HDMI and "good" USB support.
Andro - which all video formats does your DVD player support?
Could you please check if you can play the following off a USB flash disk?
1 - .avi
2 - .divx
3 - .vob
4 - .wmv
5 - .flv
6 - .mkv

Also, have you tried connecting an external USB drive directly to the DVD player?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Philips has FOUR models currently with the USB feature... Namely

DVP3166/94
DVP3166X/94 @ 4499/-

DVP3256/94 @ ???

DVP5965K/96 @ 4999/-

DVP5986K/98 @ 5499/-

All prices are MRP, one might typically be able get at least 1k off this price. The last two come with HDMI connection and upscaling as well
Do all models play video files (especially .avi) through a USB flash disk?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:19   #18
BHPian

avi is top level container which can contain various formats inside it from DAT to MPPEG4. So avi playing capacity is dependent upon the codec used for encoding not just the file extension.

The Philips will play AVI including the DIVX and XVID but will not play MKV , flash files.

Philips will also not play any HD / HD ready divx/ xvid files. It will also not play mp4 audio files(ipod compatible ) but can play mp4 video files.
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
avi is top level container which can contain various formats inside it from DAT to MPPEG4. So avi playing capacity is dependent upon the codec used for encoding not just the file extension.

The Philips will play AVI including the DIVX and XVID but will not play MKV , flash files.

Philips will also not play any HD / HD ready divx/ xvid files. It will also not play mp4 audio files(ipod compatible ) but can play mp4 video files.
But then how do I determine which DVD player to buy? Whatever movies I donwload or rip from DVDs, are in .avi extension. My limited knowledge tells me that I have XVID codec also installed since I downloaded AVI containing XVID also.

What else do I need to check? I would prefer to carry a USB flash drive with different file formats, as well as CDRW and DVDRW to the demo room.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:39   #20
BHPian

When you are downloading (torrents), chk the release notes. Many times it is mentioned that they are standalone dvd player compatible. When ripping use Divx / xvid standard profiles. The philips have divx ultra certification so it will play files rippied in standard profiles format.

I don't think there is any standard dvd player in india which can play HD divx and mkv. so not much to choose from. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
But then how do I determine which DVD player to buy? Whatever movies I donwload or rip from DVDs, are in .avi extension. My limited knowledge tells me that I have XVID codec also installed since I downloaded AVI containing XVID also.

What else do I need to check? I would prefer to carry a USB flash drive with different file formats, as well as CDRW and DVDRW to the demo room.
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote