Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th February 2008, 14:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question S Video cable

I have an LG LCD TV with an S Video port. Now I have got tons of DVD rips of movies on my laptop, which I wish to view on my TV. Till now, I have been burning CDs and doing that. However, it is proving to be a tedious, time consuming process. Also, many a times, the CD gets stuck or if burnt in Disc-at-Once mode, doesnt allow FFW or RW functions.

So I was thinking of getting an S Video cable to directly hook up my laptop and LCD. However, the salesperson at Vijay sales (Mumbai) told me that video and audio quality gets sacrificed using the S Video cable. Any comments?

Any other way that I can hook up my laptop to LCD? I have a Pioneer Home Theater System as well.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 14:31   #2
BHPian

Options:
- HDMI, that is if your comp has HDMI out.
- D-Sub connector, if your TV has one.
- S-video. If you only intend to watch movies, it should be ok. If you want crystal clear text, this is not a good option.
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 14:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Options:
- HDMI, that is if your comp has HDMI out.
- D-Sub connector, if your TV has one.
- S-video. If you only intend to watch movies, it should be ok. If you want crystal clear text, this is not a good option.
- HDMI - not an option. Laptop is 2004 model Compaq (pre merger). I believe that time HDMI wasnt launched. So it doesnt have HDMI port

- D-Sub connector - Whats that please? Im sure LG should be having it as its 6 months old and recently launched model

Another question - an S Video cable would carry only video. So how do I manage the audio part? Or do you think it would be better to connect laptop with DVD player/Home theater through S Vid cable and routing that to LCD (for better sound through HT speakers and better video quality through HT speakers?)
Old 15th February 2008, 14:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

I have a LG LCD. It has the port which Computer monitors have. So just get yourself a monitor cable.
As for audio, if it has Audio in(L R), just use a simple converter cable(Available easily) which turns the stereo out pins of laptop to the dual line out used me amplifiers, and also LCD tvs.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 15:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have a laptop (Qosmio) with all kinds of IN/OUT stuff but keeping a laptop next to the TV is such a cumbersome thing.

Buy a DVD player with HDMI and USB port. And play your movies off USB flash memory/HDDs.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...d-reading.html (DVD player with HDMI and SD card reading)
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 15:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I have a laptop (Qosmio) with all kinds of IN/OUT stuff but keeping a laptop next to the TV is such a cumbersome thing.

Buy a DVD player with HDMI and USB port. And play your movies off USB flash memory/HDDs.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...d-reading.html (DVD player with HDMI and SD card reading)
Dude I have a DVD player with HDMI and USB connectivity (Pioneer, bought recently as part of the Home Theater system). However, the fine print in the user manual states that *.avi files cannot be played directly from USB flash drive

And all my DVD rips are *.avi or divx. Hence the dilemma
Old 15th February 2008, 16:30   #7
BHPian

D-sub = 15-pin PC Monitor cable
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 16:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

So I was thinking of getting an S Video cable to directly hook up my laptop and LCD. However, the salesperson at Vijay sales (Mumbai) told me that video and audio quality gets sacrificed using the S Video cable. Any comments?
Why will audio suffer when you are using S-video cable. Audio has nothing to do with S-video.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 16:36   #9
BHPian

S-Video Cable quality is good.I usally watch movies from my laptop using S-video cable only.It won't be good enough as comp or HDMI but till descent for most of the DVD-RIP or AVI.
S-Video won't carry audio so u have to use a Y-Splitter(LR).

S-Video cable revolutionised my movie habits.
Now it is like download-watch
manziee_crusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 17:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Why will audio suffer when you are using S-video cable. Audio has nothing to do with S-video.
Because S Video will carry only video signal. That leaves the audio to be played out from the laptop speakers, since my source video file is on it. And laptop speaker audio quality is pretty bad, even compared to LCD speaker quality
Old 15th February 2008, 17:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Because S Video will carry only video signal. That leaves the audio to be played out from the laptop speakers, since my source video file is on it. And laptop speaker audio quality is pretty bad, even compared to LCD speaker quality
You can connect the line out (audio) of laptop to line in at LCD to get audio from LCD speakers.
Old 15th February 2008, 17:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
You can connect the line out (audio) of laptop to line in at LCD to get audio from LCD speakers.
Either that, or connect the audio out from the laptop to his Pioneer home theater system.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 17:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Get a stereo to RCA connection cable and use it to connect the laptop stereo headphone jack to your HT aux in or even LCD audio in.
alto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 17:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Either that, or connect the audio out from the laptop to his Pioneer home theater system.
Oh I forgot this part. If there is a option of digital out you can connect the laptop and Pioneer home theater to get 5.1 through single wire.
Old 15th February 2008, 19:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude I have a DVD player with HDMI and USB connectivity (Pioneer, bought recently as part of the Home Theater system). However, the fine print in the user manual states that *.avi files cannot be played directly from USB flash drive

And all my DVD rips are *.avi or divx. Hence the dilemma
oops i am shopping for one USB'ed DVD player as we speak.. and what you say worries me. I heard if it is USB 2.0 (and not 1.1) it can play movies, too. Anyways I am not buying one unless that sales person can demo that it can play movies off flash memory.

What I find painful is, sales guys don't like people getting too technical/hands-on.

i still feel somehow u have to find the USB flash memory solution. everything else is cumbersome. these days it is flash memory + USB everywhere. cars, mobiles, cameras and so on.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote