Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th February 2008, 12:16   #16
Team-BHP Support

I once overclocked my AMD system.
I bought thermal paste from market, a newer heatsink and a bigger CPU fan+ some case fans.
It worked, nothing got roasted, but compiles would break in between, i.e. gcc would crash just like that, sometimes games would crash.
I ran a detailed CPU accuracy test and found errors.
So with the additional clock speed. I was pushing the chip beyond its tolerances, and I was actually losing or corrupting data.
This would happen only after the CPU had run for some time.
After that lots of non overclocking things led to my screwing up the motherboard and processor completely, with a screwdriver, and I was in possession of a sparkling new AMD 64 and a Asus motherboard.
I never tried overclocking after that, even though I was tempted.
Now I am tempted to overclock my Dell laptop(I don't care 2 hoots about battery life as its a desktop for me), but I resist.
So I have turned to software solutions. Don't install it if you don't need it, and I run 3 operating systems simultaniously on my system without appreciable performance hits.

Keeping the disk clean and free of malware goes a long way. but if you really want it to run fast, buy Nike trail running shoes
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote