Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th February 2008, 20:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default how to make your computer run faster

Here are some sensible tips i found on net to increase performance of a computer. I was already using some of these.

How to make your computer faster

experts, please comment if you have any suggestions over these.

others, use at your own risk. do not attempt if you do not know what you are doing.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 23:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Overclocking! I've found AMD processors to respond better than Intels in this regard (I have an overclocked AMD server pumping out 25% higher performance than before at office)
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 23:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Overclocking! I've found AMD processors to respond better than Intels in this regard (I have an overclocked AMD server pumping out 25% higher performance than before at office)
Now only if you could guide me to the menu options where i could check "overclocking" box.

These diections for us mortals with lap/desktops with small fans for cooling.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 00:44   #4
TDR

Lightbulb

Now we're entering my speciality!

Aside from "the MAG's" suggestion for overclocking, (which I support, btw)
there are a few tricks to speed up your computer, swiftly.

Check this out;
Hitman Pro | Alles-in-1 oplossing tegen spyware - Home

Don't worry, it's all in English. In short... spyware, malware etc, harmful or not, they can really slow down your computer. So, just get rid of them!

An other word of advice, lot's of "resident" programs and services added to your computer, over your Operating System, can really be a mayor system hog. So carefully look over programs and services added to your computer, over your Operating System. You might want to disable some and /or replace them.

One example I can give you; I used to use Norton Antivirus, which was a terrible system hog. Replaced it by Nod32, what a difference!

Ane last advice... don't be reluctant, use the "defrag" option of your OS from time to time. It helps!

TDR
TDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 01:08   #5
BHPian

Nice compilation. There are many registry tweaks, you can shut off unneccesary services,ensure that you RAM's are in dual channel mode etc. basically a lot of Comuter R&D. However in recent days the software improvement techniques have become too repetetive, hope to see some new techniques in this thread. Ok here's one tip from my side

Step 1 Open Notepad Copy and paste the following
shutdown.exe -s -t 1 save this file with a .bat extension for eg.ak.bat

Step 2 Open registry editor by START>RUN>REGEDIT and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Run add a new string value by File>Edit>New>String Value by the name speed and then again right click on this and select modify in the window that appears put the address of the bat file created earlier into the value data and there you go, voila now your computer is faster than ever before.

Disclaimer:Registry editing can be harmful if not done properly, if anything goes wrong while doing the above, please restart the computer in safe mode, go to START>RUN>MSCONFIG>Startup and uncheck the checkbox in front of speed .

Last edited by revvedup : 27th February 2008 at 01:19. Reason: Disclaimer added
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 01:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

NOS, anyone?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 01:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
NOS, anyone?
Not NOS, but yes Liquid Nitrogen is used in some exotic overclocking setups.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 01:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Not NOS, but yes Liquid Nitrogen is used in some exotic overclocking setups.
I was about to suggest a Pete's box, then I read your post. I shall pick up a tank on the morrow!
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 02:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The scenario is quite different now with the Core 2 Duos and Quads. Most intels will do atleast 50% overclock or more if you can tame the thermals.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 02:26   #10
BHPian

Guys, i've seen many using upgrades like vista inspirats and softwares of such sort. Even though it gives a visual pleasure,its sure to make your system hog. Another tip is, not to put in too many files and icons in the desktop. This also makes the system slow.
wischvuanaudh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 05:44   #11
BHPian

ccleaner
advanced windows care
diskeeper [ one of the best defrag softwares ]

google and download them

and YES ! anti malware , spyware , virus - Are VERY important
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 06:40   #12
BHPian

just run as light as possible.
i never use any anti virus lately.. all system resource hogs. Just use common sense and very tight active x controls . The last anti virus i used was norton anti-virus 2003 edition. haven't run anything since.
keep the programs in your start-up (next to the clock) light.
make sure that you have your system priority set to background tasks.
to do this right click on my computer and then click on theh Advanced Tab.

Also set the minimum value of your pageing file to the TOTAL AMOUNT OF RAM in your system. Set the Maximum Page file vale as double the TOTAL AMOUNT OF RAM in your system.
here is a pic below to help you guys out.

Also Xp click here below for this utility called Tweak UI Xp from Microsoft.

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Makes your startup much easier to manage and also you can make your Start->programs window open up much faster. Tons more features too and its FREE !!

Hope this helped
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 09:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Nice compilation. There are many registry tweaks, you can shut off unneccesary services,ensure that you RAM's are in dual channel mode etc. basically a lot of Comuter R&D. However in recent days the software improvement techniques have become too repetetive, hope to see some new techniques in this thread. Ok here's one tip from my side

Step 1 Open Notepad Copy and paste the following
shutdown.exe -s -t 1 save this file with a .bat extension for eg.ak.bat

Step 2 Open registry editor by START>RUN>REGEDIT and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Run add a new string value by File>Edit>New>String Value by the name speed and then again right click on this and select modify in the window that appears put the address of the bat file created earlier into the value data and there you go, voila now your computer is faster than ever before.

Disclaimer:Registry editing can be harmful if not done properly, if anything goes wrong while doing the above, please restart the computer in safe mode, go to START>RUN>MSCONFIG>Startup and uncheck the checkbox in front of speed .
Good One. But can you explain me what are you trying to do with the shutdown.exe ? Trying to figure it out being a mech guy
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 11:21   #14
Team-BHP Support

You can buy Nike trail running shoes for your computer. On Indian footpaths, there are lots of obstructions like pebbles etc., which can affect running speed.
Nike trail running shoes help cushion the impact and you can get better speed.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 12:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Overclocking is good only if your cooling system is good enough to cope with extra heat, as Dual core processors are known for generating extra heat which was sorted out in C2D processors, my suggesation is keep desktop clean, dont install unwanted softwares, keep free space in C Drive, use good antivirus, reguler disc defragment, keep cleaning temp files, reguler patch updates will helps a lot to make machine faster.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote