Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 29th April 2008, 09:20   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the computer running on the "+" setting or "++"?
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 09:52   #17
BANNED

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Samerbhai,

it is on ++ setting.

Viper

PS the snap shot is saved as a word file which Tbhp does not allow to be uploaded. How do i convert it to a allowed format so that it can be displayed.

Last edited by viper : 29th April 2008 at 09:53.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 10:07   #18
Team-BHP Support

am posting the screenshots on behalf of viper -

Help with Hard disc space management & Itunes-zzzzzzzzzzzzz1.jpg

Name:  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz2.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  zzzzzzzzzzzzz3.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  54.8 KB
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 10:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Forget D and F drives as they are one a different drive.

see E drive is your system partition(the one with Vista OS) and C drive is the boot partition(the one with Vista boot manager file).You cannot delete any of those partitions.I'm not sure vista allows to resize the system partition(i:e E drive),But I'll check that out.

Temporarily you can goto C drive partition properties in Explorer->click cleanup->select remove system error memory dump files.

Who installed this OS? Its not a very good way of doing it.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 29th April 2008 at 10:29.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 11:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

This may be slightly off-topic, but it is related to iTunes and the process of managing the space occupied by music files.

I have roughly 14 GB of music. However, I am finding it difficult to manage this on account of the following factors:

1. My music was initially maintained on my Windows laptop (Dell 700m running XP Prof), where I had carried forward the filing system I used before - I had created my own music folder and saved music into different folders based on genres including sub-folders for artistes and albums. I was initially using musicmatch jukebox and then moved on to Cowan's Jet Audio.

2. Subsequently I bought a Mac for home use (MacMini) and copied the entire music folder onto the Mac's hard disk for use on the Mac. BIG MISTAKE - the Mac uses iTunes which creates its own library, so my 14 GB probably ended up as 28 GB. And my happy world of organized music was shattered by iTunes own filing system. I found that despite my very organized filing system earlier, the tags on all my MP3s were not organized as meticulously - so I had difficulty finding tracks. On Sam's advice, I bought Tag It, but it didnt solve the problem.

3. The third problem came up when I wanted to ensure that both libraries were synchronized. There was no other way but to use iTunes on both the PC and the Mac and copy the iTunes library from one to the other. This was fine, but my only organized music folder was still the older windows filing system - NOT the iTunes library.

So I ended up with about 28 GB on my PC too.

This is a total waste of disk space and a management nightmare.

I now have a 3rd computer at home, the Latitude D420 which is currently running Vista (will shift back to XP prof soon). I DO NOT want to end up with 3 copies of 28 GB, all of which are thoroughly disorganized on iTunes.

I have the following requirements:

1. More than anything else, I want ONE central library where music will be stored, regardless of which PC is used to rip CDs or download music online (bought legally). Preferably, all the PCs (and the Mac) should be able to synchronize with this one library. Is this possible?

2. I need to find a method of organizing my music using iTunes, but in the same structure I used earlier with my windows file folder (My Music > English > Blues > JJ Cale > 8 > Money Talks.mp3)

OR find a better way of organizing it in a manner that I can recall tracks quickly.

3. I want just one copy of my music on each PC at the most - it would be better if all the music was stored on the Mac but accessed over the network by the 2 laptops, but this would be a problem when I travel. So I will have to live with 14 GB of music on each PC/Mac, but no copies thereof.

This is a really complicated requirement, I know. However I really need to spend a few days in sorting out my music or I will go nuts every time I keep looking for a track that I want to listen to.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 11:07   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
This is a really complicated requirement, I know. However I really need to spend a few days in sorting out my music or I will go nuts every time I keep looking for a track that I want to listen to.

Hey,

Welcome to the world of hell called Itunes. I already went thru the exact same agony when I bought an Ipod and installed I tunes. I had 60GB of music organized in various folders exactly the way I wanted till I tunes took over and organized the music on its own.

Till date I am unable to find most of music and organising 60GB will take me a lifetime.

Whenever you do find a solution pl let me know.

Viper

PS- I don't mind paying someone to help organize the library the way I want.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 11:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Whenever you do find a solution pl let me know.

Viper

PS- I don't mind paying someone to help organize the library the way I want.
I bought an ebook recently on "Making sense of iTunes and iPhoto" - I still havent had time to sit and read through it.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Use Winamp and it's ipod utility to manage music on your iPod. Uninstall iTunes. :d

How to use Winamp to manage your iPod - Simplehelp
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 13:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Uninstall iTunes. :d
Cannot! I need iTunes to stream music through the airport express to my HiFi. Or I need to relocate the MacMini...
Old 29th April 2008, 13:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cannot! I need iTunes to stream music through the airport express to my HiFi. Or I need to relocate the MacMini...
Whoops - I forgot that. But yes the winamp plug in works fine - the only grouse being the transfer takes more time than itunes.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 16:29   #26

Quote:
Hi Guys,

In continuation to my earlier problem mentioned in posts 13 & 18 of below thread it has just gotten worse. "C" drive is still full & "E" drive is now missing not getting detected. I had luckily backed up my "E" drive data.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...nt-itunes.html (Help with Hard disc space management & Itunes)

I now need someone who can do the following for me at my place only

Option I - Solve existing problem and expand "c" drive space
Option II - format disk if required and re organise partition

Help me with Itunes management as currently Itunes cannot find most files saying the directory has changed.

Would appreciate it if someone could provide me with references or contact nos of someone who is good at his job and can attend to the issue on priority.

Viper 9821421948
Looks like your drive partition information has corrupted.
Anand_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 16:32   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In continuation to my earlier problem mentioned in posts 13 & 18 of below thread it has just gotten worse. "C" drive is still full & "E" drive is now missing not getting detected. I had luckily backed up my "E" drive data.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...nt-itunes.html (Help with Hard disc space management & Itunes)

Option I - Solve existing problem and expand "c" drive space
Option II - format disk if required and re organise partition
from what I understand your drive is partiioned (logical) as follows
"I have 2 Hard Disks
Disc 1 - 120 GB divided as "C" - 30GB & "E" 90 GB
Disc 2 - 300 GB divided as "D" 120 GB & "F" 180 GB"
"
to repartition it try
Change or Resize Partition (NTFS, FAT or FAT32) Size in Windows Vista My Digital Life

How to resize a partition in Windows Vista | Vista Rewired

first strighten out your drives. then worry about itunes.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 16:57   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. My music was initially maintained on my Windows laptop (Dell 700m running XP Prof), where I had carried forward the filing system I used before

2. Subsequently I bought a Mac for home use (MacMini) and copied the entire music folder onto the Mac's hard disk for use on the Mac.

3. The third problem came up when I wanted to ensure that both libraries were synchronized.
It's been years (ok months but I am senile so it might as well be years) since I organised my MP3 collection so I have forgotten a lot. I'll detail what I remember and hope some of it helps.

My MP3 collection was created before Album art and ID3V2 formats were available so I had to rework my files to add this info.

My MP3 collection is organised as follows:
...\MP3\Artist\Album\song-title.mp3
the rest of the ID3 tag info (gnere, language, album art, etc..) is inside the Id3 tag hence this info will show on the ipod. if genre/language are part of your directory structure and not in your ID3 tag it wont show oyou ipod (but you know all this dont ya).

1. I think itunes allows you to delete duplicate files I forget how but I think it does (unless I used a different utility to do so).
2. Ituens allows you to set your music library (see /Preferences/Advanced tag)
3. the one tool I have NOT understood is the consolidate library tool and since it cannot be undone I do not recommend using it.
4. to organise and find ID3 tag info (such as album art) you have to use specifc tools like Albumart (I used ver 1.6), AlbumArtDonloader (I used ver 0.4), Tag and rename (I used ver 3.4), mp3tag (I used ver 2.39). Each one of these managed to get me some info and together I managed to get all ID3 tag info incl Album art.

5. other ipod based utilities I have found on my hard disk are
a) FixTUnes (v 4.6)
b) Media Monkey (ver 3.0.1.1127)
c) Album Art Aggregator
d) Ipod wizard (ver 1.3)
I am sure I have used all of these at one time or another for a particular task. All I know is that no one tool does everything.

Viper, I know you know more than me about this stuff. I am sure Steeroid does too. I am pretty much zero when it comes to computers so I am sorry if I did not offer any solution just a list of stuff you guys probably already have done.

Last edited by navin : 6th May 2008 at 17:04.
Old 6th May 2008, 17:05   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
hey Ihave a vista laptop too what is the ++ stuff.
Old 6th May 2008, 17:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Viper, I know you know more than me about this stuff. I am sure Steeroid does too. I am pretty much zero when it comes to computers so I am sorry if I did not offer any solution just a list of stuff you guys probably already have done.
Thanks Navin. I'll try out the tools you mentioned and see how it goes. However, more than any tools it requires time and effort - I really need to spend time on this stuff.

One of these days...