Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th March 2009, 17:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Try Imgburn to copy the VCD to another one, thats fairly simple. Unless you already have got scratches and the sectors cannot be read, try with Liteon drives if scratched.

@Proxima, the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 is the Aspect ratio which is shown while playing on TV, the black bars on the top/ bottom are to keep the AR for eg. people showing tooo long or short during the playback. The software you are using for conversion is not doing a good job, check the settings.

PS: I know Proxima posted long time back.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 17:58   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Guys,

I have another problem. My DVD Player supports DivX and XVid Compression. When I burn an DivX or XVid format AVI file onto a Data CD it plays the movie without any problem. But when I burn multiple such AVI files on a Data DVD, the player is not able to play them. Can you suggest some solution? I don't want to convert all those files into DVD format.
Try using Toast (Mac) or similar software in Windows to burn multiple videos to single DVD. These softwares would basically create a logical menu system to allow movement from one file to other when played on DVD player.

You must understand that DVD player behaves in a different way to a computer so a simple copy of movies as Data DVD will not always work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Thanks everyone for the help. I am using CyberLink DVD suite which is very easy friendly. Had it on my comp.

A couple of questions:

What is the difference between 4:3 and 16:9? I tried burning "The Sting" which is an AVI file which plays on my PC as a widescreen movie. I have a ViewSonic 19 inch screen. I tried burning it on 16:9 format but when I play it on the DVD player, it seems to be a 4:3. (No black gap on top and below, also the screen seems to be cut to fit the screen) I tried 2 times with 2 blank DVDs. Same result.

Also, it takes a loooooooooong time to burn a DVD. Is this normal? I have a dual core, decent config comp.
I think the trouble is not with your movie but the TV Screen. 16:9 is essentially a widescreen format which would play without border on widescreen but with borders on conventional screens. On the other hand, 4:3 is conventional TV screen size.

It does take some time burn a DVD especially if you are converting from one format to other. Also while CD burns at speeds upto 48x, most DVD players only burn 2x or maximum 4x and considering the size difference (4.7 GB vs 700 MB), you can calculate why it takes more time to burn DVD.

In case you want to boost your DVD burn, try upgrading RAM which will not affect the speed of data burn but will certainly boost the speed at which AVI file is converted to DVD format.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 20:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

have you tried the defacto copy program. 'Nero'
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 21:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
have you tried the defacto copy program. 'Nero'
Is it downloadable? Can you please share the link?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 22:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Try using Toast (Mac) or similar software in Windows to burn multiple videos to single DVD. These softwares would basically create a logical menu system to allow movement from one file to other when played on DVD player.

You must understand that DVD player behaves in a different way to a computer so a simple copy of movies as Data DVD will not always work.
Thanks Buddy, this problem was sorted long back. The issue was the Blank DVD's I was trying out earlier were of higher speed, Now I use max 16X DVD's and they work like a charm.

Cheers!!!
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 22:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the basic version is free and comes free with every DVD writer that is sold in the market.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 09:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try downloading the latest version from Mininova : The ultimate BitTorrent source!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 09:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Try Imgburn to copy the VCD to another one, thats fairly simple. Unless you already have got scratches and the sectors cannot be read, try with Liteon drives if scratched.
Thanks dadu it worked but not for every VCD. For some VCD's it does not recognize the VCD contents though contents are there.Is there any other VCD ripper to make a VCD or DVD

Last edited by aka_iitd : 5th March 2009 at 09:55.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 10:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

My wife uses Pinnacle Studio 11 Plus. It does HD and AVCHD files to. Even converts from AVCHD to DVD. Other less expensive options are Sony's Vegas (uses less hardware than Pinnacle but less powerful too) and Apple's Toast (for Mac).

For Studio 11 Plus or Studio 12 and AVCHD you need a Quad core with 8GB of RAM otherwise the process will try your patience.

Last edited by navin : 5th March 2009 at 10:08.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 12:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Thanks dadu it worked but not for every VCD. For some VCD's it does not recognize the VCD contents though contents are there.Is there any other VCD ripper to make a VCD or DVD
If it cant read the VCD due to scratches its bad luck.

Try making an Image file for it and then copy that image file onto the blank VCD. The benefit, if the VCD has some protection, it will get copied too without any issues.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 23:04   #26
BHPian

Has anyone had luck converting MKV files to DVD? I have a few 8GB files that I would like to burn to a DL DVD as well as a few 4.7 GB files that I would like to burn to a regular DVD-/+R so I can just play these through my DVD player and TV but none of the software that I have can do it - ConvertX to DVD and DVD Fab Platinum.

Any software and process suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 08:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

VLC Player should be able to convert MKV files to AVI / MPEG.

From that point onwards, any DVD creation program can pick up the job.

Details:

Transcode - VideoLAN Wiki

EDIT : MKV is listed as fully supported :
VLC - Features

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 24th March 2009 at 08:52.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 10:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
VLC Player should be able to convert MKV files to AVI / MPEG.

From that point onwards, any DVD creation program can pick up the job.

Details:

Transcode - VideoLAN Wiki

EDIT : MKV is listed as fully supported :
VLC - Features
While I use VLC on my laptop for video playback of these MKV files, I am not sure how I can convert them to AVI and then burn them to a video DVD? AFAIK VLC does not have a conversion output feature, but please correct me if I am wrong.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 10:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

VLC is both, A player and a converter (a.k.a Trans coder)

This thing would involve two steps:

1. Using VLC, convert to AVI or MPEG 2
2. Convert to DVD with any DVD authoring program (some are free)
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 18:50   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting stuff, but I do find the abbreviations and the many standards to be utterly confusing. I've downloaded SUPER as something that I am sure will be useful one day, thankyou.

I love players like VLC and foobar (for audio). I see no reason why a video/audio player should need to look like an arcade game!

By the way... last week I tried to upgrade my OEM Nero to the full version to get the burning tools. Yes there is a reduced-price upgrade --- but guess what: this product is not available in this country!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote