Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 16:39   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,867 Times
Default Re: LCD tv troubleshooting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
... 2 year old Sony Bravia BX420 40" LCD has started giving trouble since last few days. It was seen by the Sony technician and he asked me to send it to the service center. Now they informed me that the display has gone kaput and requires replacement, charges of around 20k. ...
This is not a problem with the display at all - the display panel is just fine. The problem is with the signal route. Could be anywhere from STB internals to connecting cable to TV internal path on board for signal.

First, take out and reconnect the cable connecting the STB to the TV. If that is fine, if you have another TV, or can borrow a small one from somewhere, check if the STB is giving a problem. Last resort, call Sony service again and tell them the problem is with signal intermittence on the board.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 20:36   #17
BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MFP
Posts: 898
Thanked: 1,259 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
This is not a problem with the display at all - the display panel is just fine. The problem is with the signal route. Could be anywhere from STB internals to connecting cable to TV internal path on board for signal.

First, take out and reconnect the cable connecting the STB to the TV. If that is fine, if you have another TV, or can borrow a small one from somewhere, check if the STB is giving a problem. Last resort, call Sony service again and tell them the problem is with signal intermittence on the board.
I came back from service center with the TV without getting it repaired. They have quoted a price of 25k for replacement of whole LCD panel. When I asked them whats the exact fault, to which he replied that it could be a fault with one of the connectors. So next obvious question was, where exactly and his answer was, we dont have that much expertise to find small faults. So we'll replace the panel.
This left me wondering that even if the charge for fixing that fault might be ₹500 but since they can't find it, they'll make the customer pay 25k for the same! As it is, the TV is out of warranty so will ask local Repairman to check. Lets hope for the best.
BoneCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 23:02   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Currently, New Delhi
Posts: 423
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: LCD tv troubleshooting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I came back from service center with the TV without getting it repaired.
It is most probably in the TV decoding circuit that outs the video for the display. If your display was gone, the menu and no signal message would also blink with the blue flashes, wouldn't they?

Try the old composite cables to see if analog input works. Try with other HDMI inputs (if equipped) on your TV.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 07:14   #19
BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MFP
Posts: 898
Thanked: 1,259 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post

It is most probably in the TV decoding circuit that outs the video for the display. If your display was gone, the menu and no signal message would also blink with the blue flashes, wouldn't they?

Try the old composite cables to see if analog input works. Try with other HDMI inputs (if equipped) on your TV.
If you watch the video, you'll see that I had switched off the input (TataSKY) but the problem was still persisiting. Lets see what's the exact fault today. Will keep updating here.
BoneCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 06:41   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Hatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,568
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: LCD tv troubleshooting!!!

There was a problem with my Samsung 40". Samsung gives me a quote for Rs 9000, in which "labour" is 6000 just because the TV was imported! Technician tells me if the same model was bought from here it would work out to 1200 labour charge!

Nevertheless, gave it to a guy I knew who fixed the power unit and its working fine now.. all for 3000
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 06:59   #21
BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MFP
Posts: 898
Thanked: 1,259 Times
Default

Final diagnosis on my Sony Bravia BX42 40" LCD is that the panel is gone. I complained to higher ups in Sony through Facebook and Twitter and they contacted me yesterday. Lets see where it leads to now. If they don't give me a reasonable option, i'll not get it repaired. It'll be good to add ₹5000/- to their estimate of ₹25K and buy a new television set rather than sticking with a repaired set.
BoneCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 08:22   #22
BHPian
 
Automaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 244
Thanked: 180 Times
Default

Hi

I had a control unit blow, for the second time, on my Samsung 46" LCD.
Searched the net and it's a common fault across brands. The heat sinks give up after a year, which is just out of warranty. The metal plate covering the control unit only helps in the overheating process.

The first was replaced by Samsung for about Rs 4000 approx. (Part + service charge)

The second time it blew after another year or so. Seems like an annual feature.

Samsung said:
1. We are looking for part
2. It's Diwali so technicians are not there (fair).
3. Part not available (more than a month has passed)
4. Change the entire LCD panel for Rs 35000 since it comes as one unit instead of separate components.
5. We have announced a cash back scheme. We will pay your money back since we can't find the part.
6. Oh since your TV is 3+ years old we can offer 45% of bill value.
7. We are looking for parts but looks impossible.
8. That's the best offer, sorry.

So I took down the part number printed on the control board and googled it.

Found a manufacturer in China, Aoi, who still makes it. Figured that they deliver through Ali Express and ordered 2 boards. Rs 8200 including shipping and customs.

One I got a Samsung tech to replace (service charge Rs 1200 approx)

The other is safe as a backup.

Prepared for the annual blow out because of overheating and due to bad design.

And I refuse to spend Rs 1 Lakh or more, every 3 years because that's how long the LCDs or LEDs are 'supposed' to last.
Automaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 20:04   #23
BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MFP
Posts: 898
Thanked: 1,259 Times
Default Re: LCD tv troubleshooting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
This is not a problem with the display at all - the display panel is just fine. The problem is with the signal route. Could be anywhere from STB internals to connecting cable to TV internal path on board for signal.

First, take out and reconnect the cable connecting the STB to the TV. If that is fine, if you have another TV, or can borrow a small one from somewhere, check if the STB is giving a problem. Last resort, call Sony service again and tell them the problem is with signal intermittence on the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
It is most probably in the TV decoding circuit that outs the video for the display. If your display was gone, the menu and no signal message would also blink with the blue flashes, wouldn't they?

Try the old composite cables to see if analog input works. Try with other HDMI inputs (if equipped) on your TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
If you watch the video, you'll see that I had switched off the input (TataSKY) but the problem was still persisiting. Lets see what's the exact fault today. Will keep updating here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Final diagnosis on my Sony Bravia BX42 40" LCD is that the panel is gone. I complained to higher ups in Sony through Facebook and Twitter and they contacted me yesterday. Lets see where it leads to now. If they don't give me a reasonable option, i'll not get it repaired. It'll be good to add ₹5000/- to their estimate of ₹25K and buy a new television set rather than sticking with a repaired set.
I had persued this matter with higher ups at Sony India through Facebook and Twitter and they contacted me after a few days of venting my ire. After hearing me out and my issues, they reduced the price of repair to INR6500 for the whole panel. I was happy considering it was at a much reduced price.
As posted here, my TV was sent for repairs at a reduced price quoted by their East zone head. After about a week of giving my TV at service center, I got a call from regional head stating that they will not be able to repair my set as the spare parts are not available but in return, they would exchange my LCD with the next possible upgrade that happens to be a LED. I had deposited a DD of the said repair amount and today, I got a brand new replacement TV. Sony India does know how to keep its customers happy.
BoneCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:38   #24
BHPian
 
vindrider2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 119
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: LCD tv troubleshooting!!!

M samsung 46 inch lcd which is only 3 years old ,is having horizontal lines which are not too clear, fully across the panel.Could it be anything wrong with the panel itself or something related to the cables?If anyone can throw some light into this it would be most welcome.
vindrider2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 00:29   #25
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 348
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: LCD tv troubleshooting!!!

Just watching the World-cup Opening ceremony and you know what I realized, there is no sound. And that's ruining the whole fun. The TV has to be on mute, as everyone at home is sleeping . How can one watch Fifa World-cup muted?

Now, I have a set of blue-tooth headphones, which I use with my phone for music. My tv is a Sony EX500, which is not blue-tooth enabled. Is there any way I can make it blue-tooth enabled, so that I can use my headphones?

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 01:15   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,044
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Just watching the World-cup Opening ceremony and you know what I realized, there is no sound. And that's ruining the whole fun. The TV has to be on mute, as everyone at home is sleeping . How can one watch Fifa World-cup muted?

Now, I have a set of blue-tooth headphones, which I use with my phone for music. My tv is a Sony EX500, which is not blue-tooth enabled. Is there any way I can make it blue-tooth enabled, so that I can use my headphones?

MaSh
What I have done after my son was born, I've connected an FM transmitter bought off eBay to the headphone jack. I tune my phone in, nothing to bother anybody.
Total cost, about 500 bucks, phone not included...
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 02:10   #27
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 348
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Yes that's one option. Saw one on eBay costing a grand. How's the sound quality?
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 14:20   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,044
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Yes that's one option. Saw one on eBay costing a grand. How's the sound quality?
About as well as what you get from FM.... Stay within 10 or so metres, all good.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33
ICE Troubleshooting - No sound from speakers. uttamc In-Car Entertainment 17 19th June 2007 14:22
Basic Car Troubleshooting Psycho Technical Stuff 10 27th May 2005 18:01
Drinkers' Troubleshooting Guide milindbajekal Shifting gears 3 1st July 2004 19:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks