Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:12   #3481
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 544
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

@sheetumanu
No offense meant, but try using your phone with and without the scratch guard, you will feel the difference. And the gorilla glass is smudge free too.
Read the post above by @aks_karthik
Even the scratch guard I tried came free with the case I bought for my iPod Touch. I still have one more lying unattended.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:30   #3482
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 178
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
@sheetumanu
No offense meant, but try using your phone with and without the scratch guard, you will feel the difference. And the gorilla glass is smudge free too.
Read the post above by @aks_karthik
Even the scratch guard I tried came free with the case I bought for my iPod Touch. I still have one more lying unattended.
None taken

All right I'll get rid of the protector and give "Gorilla" a shot. However, proximity sensor issue is something that needs to be addressed first and foremost.
sheetumanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:11   #3483
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 742
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Additionally on the iPhone 4, the gorilla glass is oleophobic (repels oil from hands) so the smudges are minimal. I was not convinced of this earlier and specially ordered an 'oleophobic' screen protector. A few days back, the protector came off and I am using the bare screen now. I've realized this is much better and has lesser smudges than the special protector I was using earlier!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:44   #3484
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,874 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Cut a hole in the screen protector over proximity sensor, no luck ...
Proximity sensor is not visible, so cutting the screen protector is of no use.

If there is no cure readily available, try the N8 trick: when you take the call, lock the screen (power button on iPhone; N8 has a neat switch on the side for locking screen manually). My N8 was in love with my cheek, and would do funny things during the call because it wouldn't lock the screen automatically during the call. If the same is happening with your iPhone, locking the screen manually is the cheapest sure-fire remedy.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:24   #3485
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 178
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Proximity sensor is not visible, so cutting the screen protector is of no use.

If there is no cure readily available, try the N8 trick: when you take the call, lock the screen (power button on iPhone; N8 has a neat switch on the side for locking screen manually). My N8 was in love with my cheek, and would do funny things during the call because it wouldn't lock the screen automatically during the call. If the same is happening with your iPhone, locking the screen manually is the cheapest sure-fire remedy.
I tried that only to find out that power button ends the call rather than locking the screen
sheetumanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:40   #3486
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,874 Times
Default

Eh? No, short press on the Power button (the one at the top) doesn't end the call, it locks the phone. It works that way on my iPhone4, and I haven't seen any setting to change that. I have to lock the phone when I make a call in the car over BT - otherwise I risk the 'no proximity' problem as I am not holding the phone to my ear.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:15   #3487
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 178
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Eh? No, short press on the Power button (the one at the top) doesn't end the call, it locks the phone. It works that way on my iPhone4, and I haven't seen any setting to change that. I have to lock the phone when I make a call in the car over BT - otherwise I risk the 'no proximity' problem as I am not holding the phone to my ear.
I tried both, short press and long press, it ends the call; it locks the phone only when the phone is connected to a headset.
sheetumanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:35   #3488
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,874 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu

I tried both, short press and long press, it ends the call; it locks the phone only when the phone is connected to a headset.
Hmmm... Possibly it works for me since the BT connection to HU must be headset profile.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:12   #3489
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Gentlemen

Does anyone make an i-phone4 charging dock that also has an aux-out cable that I can plug into a music player like Soundsticks III ? (in addition to charging)

This is so that the Soundsticks can effectively be made into a docking player.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:50   #3490
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 1.37N 103.92E
Posts: 71
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Gentlemen

Does anyone make an i-phone4 charging dock that also has an aux-out cable that I can plug into a music player like Soundsticks III ? (in addition to charging).
How about the iPhone dock station. See http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC596ZM/B

Cheers.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:48   #3491
BHPian
 
akshaymahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 482
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Is somebody here using a Verizon iphone 4 on a CDMA prepaid network here? Is it possible?
And if yes any issues with the same, except for the no data plan part?
akshaymahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 12:20   #3492
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 544
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

iOS5 beta 3 users, have you tried the OTA update of iOS beta 4?? If not please try, it completes in flat 15 minutes and there is no need of a restore or headache of syncing it with iTunes. All data will be intact including messages and call history. And there is no need for you download the whole firmware which is a whopping 700MB. This OTA is a delta update, only the changes in the code gets downloaded.

Its a pure bliss!!! I am loving it.

Last edited by dre@ms : 5th August 2011 at 12:21.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 12:47   #3493
BHPian
 
dar3dev|l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hannover, DE
Posts: 290
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

First Clear Photo of the iPhone 5 Leaked Online?

iClarified - Apple News - First Clear Photo of the iPhone 5 Leaked Online?


May be rumour, may be not
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 13:38   #3494
BHPian
 
Gautam Misra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bhubaneshwar
Posts: 220
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Is somebody here using a Verizon iphone 4 on a CDMA prepaid network here? Is it possible?
And if yes any issues with the same, except for the no data plan part?
Yes it is very much possible. Go to Cellwala - CDMA Redefined > Home or check out "cellwalla" on Facebook.

Saddik is absolutely helpful whenever you call him. However speak to Saddik and not his brother Zayed.
Gautam Misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 10:52   #3495
Senior - BHPian
 
jesal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,322
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

how does one use face time exactly ? mine wont work on edge nor on 3g. does that mean one can only use in on wifi ? if thats true that sucks since in india wifi is not free everywhere.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone - now $100 since Iphone 3G S (speed) launched D-Man Gadgets, Computers & Software 32 14th February 2010 18:11
Apple iPhone Launched!!! OMG, OMG!!! (EDIT: Feb 5th - New memory sizes) hydrashok Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 21st August 2008 14:33
this is completely insane - Guy waiting in line for iPhone for 5 days in NYC whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 20 1st July 2007 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks