Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 08:51   #4096
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r

I was updating one of the games over 3G that I originally downloaded on wifi.
IMHO this limit is absurd, if you want to view/download Audio/Video content over 3G more than 20mb that's not allowed either. Now for people who are away from Wifi and have 3G should be able to spend their quota however they want, guess Apple knows something which we don't.

Battery will be sucked but the limit also applies for iPad with a bigger battery pack.
But that's one of the joys of owning an apple though isn't it? They decide what apps we get, what the OS will support, how we use our 3G limit..

I've never faced a problem with videos though. Are these videos from YouTube?
vinod332002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 11:13   #4097
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002

I've never faced a problem with videos though. Are these videos from YouTube?
I was downloading some time warp from discovery channel on iTunes and some videos on iTunes University.
As for creating jailed experience, Apple knows best
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 12:20   #4098
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 372 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
Just read that hotspot over wifi works on iPhone 4 and newer only


Apple doesn't allow downloads of over 20 MB over 3G. If you absolutely have to download it over 3G, you'd need a jailbreak, or just hook up to a wifi (or if you have an iphone4 just set up hotspot on it and connect the iPad to the iPhone.)

Ps: Downloading 20Mb over hotspot will suck a lot out of the iPhone battery.

Mods: Please merge with my earlier reply. Thanks.
This is becuase in the initial days operators in US sweetened the deal for Apple by offering unlimited 3G plans , Now the number of smartphones have gone up and 3G networks are getting saturated so they do not have more bandwidth to offer.

Apple is still far from LTE and returning the favor by putting limits from last few releases.

Also Operators particularly AT&T on their part are "randomly" throttling the usage of high data users who are still on these initial unlimited plans citing network congestion and forcing them to ditch the unlimited plans by subtle suggestions from customer care.

It is funny that in a country like US operators can go back on the unlimited deal they sold but if a customer wants to break the deal and unlock the network he needs to pay.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 12:39   #4099
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
AFAIK, your carrier (Aircel) has to allow tethering for it to show up in the menus. Not sure if Aircel (or perhaps your plan) allows that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
No need for an app.
Confirm with Aircel if they allow tethering and if they say yes, reset your iPhone. You could sync it first to iTunes so you save data.
Source:https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
is it because the phone is network locked that the service provider can disable the Personal Hotspot thingy?
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 23:58   #4100
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,861
Thanked: 2,397 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
Just read that hotspot over wifi works on iPhone 4 and newer only

Apple doesn't allow downloads of over 20 MB over 3G. If you absolutely have to download it over 3G, you'd need a jailbreak, or just hook up to a wifi (or if you have an iphone4 just set up hotspot on it and connect the iPad to the iPhone.)

Ps: Downloading 20Mb over hotspot will suck a lot out of the iPhone battery.

Mods: Please merge with my earlier reply. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I was updating one of the games over 3G that I originally downloaded on wifi.
IMHO this limit is absurd, if you want to view/download Audio/Video content over 3G more than 20mb that's not allowed either. Now for people who are away from Wifi and have 3G should be able to spend their quota however they want, guess Apple knows something which we don't.

Battery will be sucked but the limit also applies for iPad with a bigger battery pack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
But that's one of the joys of owning an apple though isn't it? They decide what apps we get, what the OS will support, how we use our 3G limit..

I've never faced a problem with videos though. Are these videos from YouTube?
Nothing specific to Apple, Amazon Market Place for Android too doesn't allow any update or new purchase download if its more than 20 MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
This is becuase in the initial days operators in US sweetened the deal for Apple by offering unlimited 3G plans , Now the number of smartphones have gone up and 3G networks are getting saturated so they do not have more bandwidth to offer.

Apple is still far from LTE and returning the favor by putting limits from last few releases.

Also Operators particularly AT&T on their part are "randomly" throttling the usage of high data users who are still on these initial unlimited plans citing network congestion and forcing them to ditch the unlimited plans by subtle suggestions from customer care.

It is funny that in a country like US operators can go back on the unlimited deal they sold but if a customer wants to break the deal and unlock the network he needs to pay.
Not sure about the timeline, but atleast since last two years there has never been an unlimited plan by AT&T which was the sole seller of iPhones. Even today Sprint, Verizon & T-mobile are the only big players which allow unlimited Data Plan which again as actually caped at 2GB, 4GB & 5GB etc.

AT&T charges its customers for WiFI Tethering while T-Mobile doesn't. Its only people who are on grandfather unlimited data plans on AT&T still have those plans though, that too those who have concisely made that choice
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 00:41   #4101
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 372 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Nothing specific to Apple, Amazon Market Place for Android too doesn't allow any update or new purchase download if its more than 20 MB.

Not sure about the timeline, but atleast since last two years there has never been an unlimited plan by AT&T which was the sole seller of iPhones. Even today Sprint, Verizon & T-mobile are the only big players which allow unlimited Data Plan which again as actually caped at 2GB, 4GB & 5GB etc.

AT&T charges its customers for WiFI Tethering while T-Mobile doesn't. Its only people who are on grandfather unlimited data plans on AT&T still have those plans though, that too those who have concisely made that choice
The genesis is in the operators insistence I guess , Actually all congestions are not alike what they mostly worry about is peak traffic in the cells with maximum users. So lets say there are a a lot of users with 5GB plan in a dense urban area like central business district and suppose 80% of them start 1GB file transfer at any point then this will cause performance issues.

Apple is not the only one Sony also faced similar issues from AT&T

AT&T caps North American PlayStation Vita download limit at 20MB | MyCE – My Consumer Electronics

20MB downloads may make AT&T's network even worse | ZDNet

The network of some other biggie's is lot better and should not have this issue, But may be in the name of uniformity of user experience, cutting developmental effort or for some secret sweetening deal Apple imposes this limit on all iPhones.

Solving these kind of operator specific issues and catering to each operator's requirements require huge manpower and a number of versions.
To give you an idea Samsung Galaxy S2 has more then 11 North American versions at the time of it's release. On other hand Apple caters all of them with single Phone and maintain 40% operating margin which is highest in industry.

Secondly large data transfers on sustained basis on mobile sometimes cause many tests to fail ( on handset side) but I think solving those kind off issues should not be a big deal for company like Apple or may be I am overestimating them

Last edited by amitk26 : 22nd February 2012 at 00:58.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:31   #4102
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,777
Thanked: 1,301 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP App for your iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this is weird indeed. i've not encountered this, yet. does it happen always?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Wait! What!! Reboot?
Doesn't 'killing' the app from the open apps list work for you?
This happens always. 100%! Let me know the solution.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:49   #4103
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 1.37N 103.92E
Posts: 83
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute

This happens always. 100%! Let me know the solution.
I don't know why your phone is missing a beat. Have you tried re-installing the app? Restoring your phone?

Rebooting just seems an extreme step. I've noticed that if, on startup, the app does not connect then you need to kill the app. That's what I was suggesting.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:53   #4104
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,777
Thanked: 1,301 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP App for your iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
I don't know why your phone is missing a beat. Have you tried re-installing the app? Restoring your phone?

Rebooting just seems an extreme step. I've noticed that if, on startup, the app does not connect then you need to kill the app. That's what I was suggesting.
Stupid and basic question: HOW DO I KILL THE APP? That probably might work as you say.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:00   #4105
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 1.37N 103.92E
Posts: 83
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute

Stupid and basic question: HOW DO I KILL THE APP? That probably might work as you say.
Double tap home button. Long press icon the navigation bar that opens up bottom of the screen. Click on X when the icons start jiggling.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:21   #4106
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP App for your iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch

another stupid question: the icons that show up at the bottom after the double tap are the ones currently running?
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:52   #4107
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,562
Thanked: 6,028 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
I am using one from Kensington for my iPhone 3GS for an year. Never faced any issues, got it from US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Am using Capdase 2 x 1 which i picked up from apple reseller in india. Pricey at 1500 but holds two devices, sturdy and great finish.
Ordered one from Griffin via ebay US. Should get it by March when my colleague hand carries it with him. Costed me about Rs. 810/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.0.1, the hotspot options are USB or Bluetooth. Please check the screenshot attached.
Is your 3GS Jailbroken with ios 5.0.1? If yes, what's a good resource to do it myself? I have a 3GS with iOS 4.0.1 and would love to upgrade flawlessly.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:25   #4108
BHPian
 
dar3dev|l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hannover, DE
Posts: 293
Thanked: 87 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Good News, iPhone 4S can now be unlocked by Gevey Ultra S Sim


GEVEY Ultra S: Unlock iPhone 4S Baseband 1.0.13, 1.0.14, 1.0.11 without Jailbreak [5.0 / 5.0.1] | Cydia Blog


dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 21:13   #4109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

iPhone Guys,

I have been an Android user for almost 3 years and now considering to make the switch to iPhone. I would like to know from you iPhone 4S users, does the device have a good battery life? Would there be a new iPhone release this year? Would you guys recommend to go for the iPhone 4S?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 21:23   #4110
BHPian
 
lazybrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore/Mangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 91 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
iPhone Guys,Would there be a new iPhone release this year? Would you guys recommend to go for the iPhone 4S?
There are speculations around that iPhone 5 is due to launch before September this year. So if you can afford to wait, please wait.

If you are used to Android you will get irritated using iOS since without jailbreaking your phone you cant tweak your iphone. Though Jailbreak is an easy procedure, catch here is you need to wait for jailbreak community for new release every time apple release new version of iOS.

But then iphone is an iphone , i realized the value of it only after i bought one. Cant really compare with android since i never owned one. But compared to my previous phones (HTC - Windows mobile and Nokia - slimy Symbian) iPhone is leagues ahead
lazybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone - now $100 since Iphone 3G S (speed) launched D-Man Gadgets, Computers & Software 32 14th February 2010 18:11
Apple iPhone Launched!!! OMG, OMG!!! (EDIT: Feb 5th - New memory sizes) hydrashok Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 21st August 2008 14:33
this is completely insane - Guy waiting in line for iPhone for 5 days in NYC whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 20 1st July 2007 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks