Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 21:50   #4111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

I'm not too keen on buying an iPhone, but was considering an alternative to Android smartphones. I'm not that satisfied with the battery life of the Android smartphones that I have owned. Just thought of looking at alternatives and obviously iPhone came to my mind.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 21:55   #4112
BHPian
 
cruiser@0523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 191
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I'm not too keen on buying an iPhone, but was considering an alternative to Android smartphones. I'm not that satisfied with the battery life of the Android smartphones that I have owned. Just thought of looking at alternatives and obviously iPhone came to my mind.
Depends on what you want, i chose an iphone because it looks kick-a$$ in white, and you get your apps free,(cydia, installous) and loads of customization options ! for example, i have a turbocharger instead of the traditional slide to unlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
iPhone Guys,

I have been an Android user for almost 3 years and now considering to make the switch to iPhone. I would like to know from you iPhone 4S users, does the device have a good battery life? Would there be a new iPhone release this year? Would you guys recommend to go for the iPhone 4S?
The iphone 4s has nothing substantial for the price difference, addition processing power, not required, Siri wont work in India, 5 mp camera on iphone 4 is great, i dont see a reason why someone would buy it unless he lives in Usa.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd March 2012 at 00:09. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
cruiser@0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 23:10   #4113
BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 714
Thanked: 566 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I'm not too keen on buying an iPhone, but was considering an alternative to Android smartphones. I'm not that satisfied with the battery life of the Android smartphones that I have owned. Just thought of looking at alternatives and obviously iPhone came to my mind.
I'm a 'new' convert to the iPhone league, only when you use it you realise how it shines. I feel the camera does a decent enough job (was using the N8 before). I think its worth it. Here's a pic taken on iPhone 4 with Instagram.
Attached Images
 
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 23:12   #4114
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Is it! I never knew Siri does not work in India. I'm new to Apple and till date I have never owned any Apple products. I wanted to go for an iPhone just for its size. I'm not sure how good the battery in an iPhone lasts. But from my experience with Android smartphones, I have never found a decent phone with a good battery life. So what do you guys suggest? Go for the iPhone 4S?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 23:16   #4115
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
Is it! I never knew Siri does not work in India. I'm new to Apple and till date I have never owned any Apple products. I wanted to go for an iPhone just for its size. I'm not sure how good the battery in an iPhone lasts. But from my experience with Android smartphones, I have never found a decent phone with a good battery life. So what do you guys suggest? Go for the iPhone 4S?
Could someone post a link to confirm that Siri doesn't work in India? Sure it won't have information about restaurants nearby but it should still search the web for you, send replies to texts and schedule appointments.
vinod332002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 23:23   #4116
BHPian
 
Maibaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 278
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002

Could someone post a link to confirm that Siri doesn't work in India? Sure it won't have information about restaurants nearby but it should still search the web for you, send replies to texts and schedule appointments.
I have an iPhone 4S and Siri works very well in India. Of course it cannot find local addresses but otherwise it can set reminders, take notes and search the web for you.
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 23:28   #4117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa

I have an iPhone 4S and Siri works very well in India. Of course it cannot find local addresses but otherwise it can set reminders, take notes and search the web for you.
Btw, I read that UK got a male voice for Siri. What about India?
vinod332002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:11   #4118
BHPian
 
namit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 392
Thanked: 49 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

I switched from Nokia E series to iPhone 4G and its an amazingly smart phone.

Yes, i too agree that considering the price diff. in 4 and 4S, 4 is a better choice / vfm.

Siri has a 70:30 ratio of working with the Indian accent, but that should not be a reason to complain much as thats the case with all voice activation systems (even in case of our automobiles like Mahindra, Ford etc).

on Iphone, my office mails open up very cleanly and fast and even attachments opening of big size is also not an issue.

I am not a gadget freak and new to iPhone so let me know wat should be installed first and from where.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 04:15   #4119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Guys,

Can anyone comment on the ollowing post which was made on this website regarding the iPhone 4S?

25. I agree with you on a lot of things. I love Apple, but I thing the mistake people make a lot is to think that they can use the iphone for business.
It's just not efficient enough.
Do a little experiment and see how many steps it takes before you are in a position to take down someone's phone number.
Next, see if you can add a document to an email. No. You can go to your pictures and send one at a time only.
Send a proposal to a colleague, attach a business card to an existing email string, send your location, edit an existing appointment in your calender and propose a new time. These are all things i do on a daily basis, yet the iphone cannot do these things.
It's a good phone. It revolutionised the industry, but what is REALLY different from the iphone 1? Not a massive amount. It's time to move on. Android is catching up. And Blackberry is still the best business phone out there.

Source: iPhone 4S review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Mobile phones

I would as well be doing most of the tasks that are mentioned as above.

Are there good Navigation apps for iPhone?

Last edited by joe1980 : 2nd March 2012 at 04:45.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:36   #4120
Newbie
 
bharath_ravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
Guys,

Can anyone comment on the ollowing post which was made on this website regarding the iPhone 4S?

25. I agree with you on a lot of things. I love Apple, but I thing the mistake people make a lot is to think that they can use the iphone for business.
It's just not efficient enough.
Do a little experiment and see how many steps it takes before you are in a position to take down someone's phone number.
Next, see if you can add a document to an email. No. You can go to your pictures and send one at a time only.
Send a proposal to a colleague, attach a business card to an existing email string, send your location, edit an existing appointment in your calender and propose a new time. These are all things i do on a daily basis, yet the iphone cannot do these things.
It's a good phone. It revolutionised the industry, but what is REALLY different from the iphone 1? Not a massive amount. It's time to move on. Android is catching up. And Blackberry is still the best business phone out there.

Source: iPhone 4S review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Mobile phones

I would as well be doing most of the tasks that are mentioned as above.

Are there good Navigation apps for iPhone?
You can do all if this and much much more if you jailbreak your iPhone!
bharath_ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:51   #4121
Senior - BHPian
 
aks_karthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,861
Thanked: 213 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Guys,

Can anyone comment on the ollowing post which was made on this website regarding the iPhone 4S?

25. I agree with you on a lot of things. I love Apple, but I thing the mistake people make a lot is to think that they can use the iphone for business.
It's just not efficient enough.
Do a little experiment and see how many steps it takes before you are in a position to take down someone's phone number.
Next, see if you can add a document to an email. No. You can go to your pictures and send one at a time only.
Send a proposal to a colleague, attach a business card to an existing email string, send your location, edit an existing appointment in your calender and propose a new time. These are all things i do on a daily basis, yet the iphone cannot do these things.
It's a good phone. It revolutionised the industry, but what is REALLY different from the iphone 1? Not a massive amount. It's time to move on. Android is catching up. And Blackberry is still the best business phone out there.

Source: iPhone 4S review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Mobile phones

I would as well be doing most of the tasks that are mentioned as above.

Are there good Navigation apps for iPhone?
you can simply copy and paste 'n' No:Of Photos in a mail.
Still Bluetooth transfer of files is exorbitantly missed feature.
aks_karthik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:38   #4122
BHPian
 
nkg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Trivandrum, Kerala
Posts: 227
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik

you can simply copy and paste 'n' No:Of Photos in a mail.
Still Bluetooth transfer of files is exorbitantly missed feature.
It's possible, but you need to jailbreak your phone and install Bluetooth apps from Cydia

Last edited by nkg77 : 2nd March 2012 at 10:39.
nkg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:45   #4123
Senior - BHPian
 
aks_karthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,861
Thanked: 213 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
It's possible, but you need to jailbreak your phone and install Bluetooth apps from Cydia
Yep, that i know. But I am talking about stock Phone.
Again, I am not very much interested in Jailbreak my Phone. Already my Brother had done Jailbreaking his iPhone4 earlier and we had installed almost all apps which is not supported by Stock iPhone4.
aks_karthik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:58   #4124
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,654
Thanked: 7,217 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Do a little experiment and see how many steps it takes before you are in a position to take down someone's phone number.
just one click and take down on notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Next, see if you can add a document to an email. No. You can go to your pictures and send one at a time only.
Doc no, pic you can send upto 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Send a proposal to a colleague, attach a business card to an existing email string, send your location, edit an existing appointment in your calender and propose a new time. These are all things i do on a daily basis, yet the iphone cannot do these things.
Second half can be done, seems like he reviewed older OS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
And Blackberry is still the best business phone out there.[/i]


Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Are there good Navigation apps for iPhone?
Yes, paid aps or like me be happy with google maps, never let me down in India.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:17   #4125
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 688
Thanked: 111 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post


Doc no, pic you can send upto 4
Make that 5 if you directly try sending from the photo album. If you copy-paste, then there is no limit as someone pointed earlier.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone - now $100 since Iphone 3G S (speed) launched D-Man Gadgets, Computers & Software 32 14th February 2010 18:11
Apple iPhone Launched!!! OMG, OMG!!! (EDIT: Feb 5th - New memory sizes) hydrashok Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 21st August 2008 14:33
this is completely insane - Guy waiting in line for iPhone for 5 days in NYC whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 20 1st July 2007 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks