Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2012, 17:41   #4306
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Is Viber the same as Skype? If yes, what good it offers that Skype does not?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 17:57   #4307
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,440
Thanked: 4,042 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Is Viber the same as Skype? If yes, what good it offers that Skype does not?
Viber isn't same as Skype. Skype is an IM, where as viber, I guess is an VOIP like app, that lets you make free calls and SMS's to the phone number.

Functionally, as viber lets you dial and call to the same phone number, its more convenient. More over, you can send free SMS's over the net. The interface is exactly like the iphone, unlike Skype, which has its own interface.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 20:41   #4308
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 956
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread : some basic queries

>>>

A couple of queries re. the 4S :

1. How can one 'arrange/select' the icons on the home screen once you press the home button? Once you press the home button and slide your finger from left to right to unlock, you get all the icons. What if I want a less cluttered look with just those icons that I use most of the time- such as Messages, Phone, Music and so on?

2. Can I move the Contact icon to my home screen from Utilities? Currently I have to swipe the screen to go to the next screen, tap on Utilities to get access to Contact

3. Is there a voice recording mechanism in the 4S? If I have to record someone talking how do I do that?

4. More of a remark really, I find the placement of the cursor a bit fiddly, when you have to correct a word written earlier and which is a few words to the left on the screen to where the cursor is... any resolution?

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 22:42   #4309
BHPian
 
cruiser@0523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 191
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread : some basic queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

A couple of queries re. the 4S :

1. How can one 'arrange/select' the icons on the home screen once you press the home button? Once you press the home button and slide your finger from left to right to unlock, you get all the icons. What if I want a less cluttered look with just those icons that I use most of the time- such as Messages, Phone, Music and so on?

2. Can I move the Contact icon to my home screen from Utilities? Currently I have to swipe the screen to go to the next screen, tap on Utilities to get access to Contact

3. Is there a voice recording mechanism in the 4S? If I have to record someone talking how do I do that?

4. More of a remark really, I find the placement of the cursor a bit fiddly, when you have to correct a word written earlier and which is a few words to the left on the screen to where the cursor is... any resolution?

Regards

Hold down any icon, they will start to wiggle, then you can delete, arrange, group whatever you want to do across the springboard.
cruiser@0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 07:37   #4310
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis
>>>

A couple of queries re. the 4S :

1. How can one 'arrange/select' the icons on the home screen once you press the home button? Once you press the home button and slide your finger from left to right to unlock, you get all the icons. What if I want a less cluttered look with just those icons that I use most of the time- such as Messages, Phone, Music and so on?

2. Can I move the Contact icon to my home screen from Utilities? Currently I have to swipe the screen to go to the next screen, tap on Utilities to get access to Contact

3. Is there a voice recording mechanism in the 4S? If I have to record someone talking how do I do that?

4. More of a remark really, I find the placement of the cursor a bit fiddly, when you have to correct a word written earlier and which is a few words to the left on the screen to where the cursor is... any resolution?

Regards
To add to the above point that explains your query 1 and 2.
Yes you can make folders or similar apps by dropping them over each other. I have segregated each screen to different genre of work mood, one screen for games, another for books, news so on and so forth.

3. There is an inbuilt app for voice recorder, I haven't tried if it captures the telephonic call.

4. If you hold the fingure to text the magnifier bubble comes up and it simplifies things, movement is smooth, you will get pro with time,
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 09:35   #4311
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 255
Thanked: 205 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11
Hi all

I just got a iPhone 4S in delhi. I have a vodafone corporate post paid connection. What dataplan do you guys recommend. I am vary of 3g due to billing issues i have heard about. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Elito
I have iphone4 with corporate connection. I opted for 3gb plan for 800 rupees on vodafone. Enjoying it.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 10:38   #4312
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 956
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Hold down any icon, they will start to wiggle, then you can delete, arrange, group whatever you want to do across the springboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
To add to the above point that explains your query 1 and 2.
Yes you can make folders or similar apps by dropping them over each other. I have segregated each screen to different genre of work mood, one screen for games, another for books, news so on and so forth.

3. There is an inbuilt app for voice recorder, I haven't tried if it captures the telephonic call.

4. If you hold the fingure to text the magnifier bubble comes up and it simplifies things, movement is smooth, you will get pro with time,
>>>

Thank you gentlemen.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 12:00   #4313
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Viber isn't same as Skype. Skype is an IM, where as viber, I guess is an VOIP like app, that lets you make free calls and SMS's to the phone number.

Functionally, as viber lets you dial and call to the same phone number, its more convenient. More over, you can send free SMS's over the net. The interface is exactly like the iphone, unlike Skype, which has its own interface.
Thanks for the information. I guess the number that I'm calling should also have Viber installed. Correct me if I'm wrong? Does it also need a ata plan when making calls? Since you have mentioned that it oes nothing more than a VOIP, it requires an internet connection to be available in order to make calls.

I've already installed Viber. I have not yet tried calling anyone yet.

Last edited by joe1980 : 18th March 2012 at 12:02.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 12:16   #4314
BHPian
 
nkg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Trivandrum, Kerala
Posts: 227
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980

Thanks for the information. I guess the number that I'm calling should also have Viber installed. Correct me if I'm wrong? Does it also need a ata plan when making calls? Since you have mentioned that it oes nothing more than a VOIP, it requires an internet connection to be available in order to make calls.

I've already installed Viber. I have not yet tried calling anyone yet.
Yes the number you are calling should have Viber installed. Infact from the Viber you can see which all contacts has Viber installed. You need to have data/wifi for Viber to work.
nkg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 18:04   #4315
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 956
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread : Sygic related

>>>

I want to know about Sygic, for India. How effective is Sygic for Indian cities, for long distance drives, for locating key points such as hospitals, police stations, shortest distances by time ( due to factors such as updates on road conditions) and so on.

Are periodic updates available easily? Is it downloadable on a 3G connexion easily and so on and so forth.

Inputs and advice much appreciated.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 19:16   #4316
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 956
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread : small points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Thank you gentlemen.

Regards
>>>

cruiser@0523,sn1p3r,

Although I have rationalised the icons on the screen based on my convenience and ease of use, I see a couple of strange 'aberrations', are these normal in the iPhone or is my cell acting up? This wasn't there before I rationalised the icons.

i. One icon (just one icon), for example the mail icon does not display although its label does; when I moved it to the utilities folder, one of the many icons there - there are currently 12 icons there- just one icon doesn't show, for example it was the apple store a minute ago. Now when I opened the cell the calculator icon is not showing although the label is

ii. To go from screen #1 to #2 to #3 either I swipe or I tap on the small dots below; however if I want to return tapping on the dots doesn't work, the only way is to swipe back

iii. Re. voice recorder, my query was to find out if I could capture a conversation and not necessarily a voice call - I will have to check this app

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 18th March 2012 at 19:17.
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 20:20   #4317
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis



i. One icon (just one icon), for example the mail icon does not display although its label does....

I think this seems a UI issue for you. Did you try restarting the iPhone?

ii. ... return tapping on the dots doesn't work, the only way is to swipe back

Did you try tapping on the small magnifying glass? That seems to work on me.

iii. Re. voice recorder, my query was to find out if I could capture a conversation and not necessarily a voice call - I will have to check this app

I think it records your voice as well as your callers voice. Do correct me if I'm wrong after you've had a chance to check.

Regards
Hi, comments inline.
vinod332002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 20:21   #4318
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,859
Thanked: 1,096 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread : Sygic related

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

I want to know about Sygic, for India. How effective is Sygic for Indian cities, for long distance drives, for locating key points such as hospitals, police stations, shortest distances by time ( due to factors such as updates on road conditions) and so on.

Are periodic updates available easily? Is it downloadable on a 3G connexion easily and so on and so forth.

Inputs and advice much appreciated.

Regards
I use Sygic on my IP4s and Android - it's the best you can get. Sygic uses MMI maps which is great for POI and inter state/inter city travel. They last updated the app a month ago, not sure if the map got a delta update as well. MMI is now out with ver 7. Google maps is very good as well but you need to be in coverage areas with fast preferably 3G connectivity all the time for a seamless experience.

Regards,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 21:08   #4319
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis

iii. Re. voice recorder, my query was to find out if I could capture a conversation and not necessarily a voice call - I will have to check this app

Regards
I agree with Vinod. You need to simply reset I.e., press power + home button for 10 sec and then it auto resets. You can do all that you stated as earlier. I never tried, let us know while you play along on a call to your dear service provider helpline
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 21:21   #4320
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 956
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread : small points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

cruiser@0523,sn1p3r,

Although I have rationalised the icons on the screen based on my convenience and ease of use, I see a couple of strange 'aberrations', are these normal in the iPhone or is my cell acting up? This wasn't there before I rationalised the icons.
>>>

Re. point i. the calculator icon is not showing despite switching off and powering on the cell four -five times.

Regards

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2012 at 13:28. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone - now $100 since Iphone 3G S (speed) launched D-Man Gadgets, Computers & Software 32 14th February 2010 18:11
Apple iPhone Launched!!! OMG, OMG!!! (EDIT: Feb 5th - New memory sizes) hydrashok Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 21st August 2008 14:33
this is completely insane - Guy waiting in line for iPhone for 5 days in NYC whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 20 1st July 2007 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks