Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2014, 12:55   #6661
BHPian
 
VishnuNarayanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 117
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Finally frustration got the better of me. I exchanged my iPhone 4 for a Samsung Note 3. Never been happier

Might return to Apple for iPhone 7
Congrats on your Note 3 !
How much did your iphone fetch ?
Expecting a mini review of the note 3 on the android phones thread

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 12th January 2014 at 12:59.
VishnuNarayanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 17:41   #6662
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,971
Thanked: 3,388 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Have a Q- contacts I can back up and restore. What about some other trivial stuff like- sms messages, whatsapp messages, notes, safari favorites, voice memos, some other app data etc. which are possible which are not? Was it a full restore? And if you don't mind what were steps that you personally tried in your process?
If you use iTunes to create a backup onto your computer, the text messages, Safari favourites, notes are all part of the standard backup, in addition to contacts and photos present in Camera Roll on your phone.

Non Apple app data, such as WhatsApp messages are not part of the standard backup, and you will need to look at alternate ways of backup.

Once you have backed up your phone, you can do the restore using iTunes, and then setup the phone as new from the Setup Assistant. Once complete, you can always do a Restore Backup using iTunes to get back the data from the backup you had created.

Hope this helps.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 19:02   #6663
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 742
Thanked: 365 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
What about some other trivial stuff like- sms messages, whatsapp messages, notes, safari favorites, voice memos, some other app data etc. which are possible which are not? Was it a full restore? And if you don't mind what were steps that you personally tried in your process?
Like@benbsb29 has explained, all the system & apple app data will be restored without any issues. You only have to worry about individual apps which do not use any kind of cloud backup.

Create a fresh backup of your phone through iTunes. Re-install iOS 7.0.4 using the "Restore iPhone" button. After the phone boots up and is connected, iTunes will provide an option to configure the phone as a new phone or restore all your settings from the backup ("Restore Backup" button in iTunes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Finally frustration got the better of me. I exchanged my iPhone 4 for a Samsung Note 3. Never been happier
How could you?!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 19:06   #6664
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post

Congrats on your Note 3 !
How much did your iphone fetch ?
Expecting a mini review of the note 3 on the android phones thread
I walked into Univercell and almost bought the Note 3 from there, but they said the maximum buy back they can give is 10.5k. I walked over to Sangeetha next door (CMH road) and they gave me 13k in exchange (had checked with them during an earlier visit).

Calling the Note 3 powerful would be an understatement. Coming from iPhone, I'm still discovering the features of this phone (you should play Real Racing 3 on this, it's awesome!)

One BIG difference I find is that in iOS the user doesn't have to fiddle with a lot of stuff, the phone does this for you. In Android, there is a lot of stuff you get/have to control.

And oh, also the size - it only looks big; it's almost half the weight of the iPhone 4

Last edited by IronH4WK : 12th January 2014 at 19:08.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 21:14   #6665
BHPian
 
VishnuNarayanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 117
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
And oh, also the size - it only looks big; it's almost half the weight of the iPhone 4
Though it weights only less when compared to iphone and those lumia range of phones, Samsung phones are capable of withstanding fair amount of abuse.
Regarding the customisation options available in android OS , you would surely love it especially with the large display and the mighty hardware underneath.

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 12th January 2014 at 21:18.
VishnuNarayanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 22:06   #6666
BHPian
 
HappyRoadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 447
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Guys I am using Iphone 5. I recently updated my Iphone 5 to IOS 7.0.4 via OTA. I am planning to jailbreak it. I read on net that evasion 7 is the software required for jailbreaking. But the problem is that it will not work on Iphone that has been updated to IOS 7.0.4 via OTA. So i want to reinstall IOS 7.0.4 but this time via Itunes. So is it possible to do this? Guys I am new to Iphone so please help.
HappyRoadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 23:27   #6667
BHPian
 
manas27587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 145
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys I am using Iphone 5. I recently updated my Iphone 5 to IOS 7.0.4 via OTA. I am planning to jailbreak it. I read on net that evasion 7 is the software required for jailbreaking. But the problem is that it will not work on Iphone that has been updated to IOS 7.0.4 via OTA. So i want to reinstall IOS 7.0.4 but this time via Itunes. So is it possible to do this? Guys I am new to Iphone so please help.
Do not do an OTA before jailbreaking.
Always do it via itunes.
Also make sure you have the ipsw for your device downloaded before jailbreaking
manas27587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 23:43   #6668
BHPian
 
lazybrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore/Mangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys I am using Iphone 5. I recently updated my Iphone 5 to IOS 7.0.4 via OTA. I am planning to jailbreak it. I read on net that evasion 7 is the software required for jailbreaking. But the problem is that it will not work on Iphone that has been updated to IOS 7.0.4 via OTA. So i want to reinstall IOS 7.0.4 but this time via Itunes. So is it possible to do this? Guys I am new to Iphone so please help.
Connect your iphone to itunes back up all your data and then restore your phone using itunes. Download Evasi0n software for windows. Close itunes with your iphone still connected to your PC. Open Evasi0n software you downloaded, run the jailbreak and follow the instructions!!
lazybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 15:36   #6669
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

i've a query for you folks. i took a backup (did not sync) of my iPhone 4 before i exchanged it for the Note 3. now i remembered there was a recording on the iPhone which i need now, but now the phone is gone.

is there a way i might be able to read the backup and extract that particular recording from it? can i restore the backup into another location instead of the iPhone?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 16th January 2014 at 15:39.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 15:44   #6670
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,971
Thanked: 3,388 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i've a query for you folks. i took a backup (did not sync) of my iPhone 4 before i exchanged it for the Note 3. now i remembered there was a recording on the iPhone which i need now, but now the phone is gone.

is there a way i might be able to read the backup and extract that particular recording from it? can i restore the backup into another location instead of the iPhone?
I have not used this tool, but it says it can recover data from the iTunes backup of your iPhone. It also seems to indicate being able to retrieve recordings.

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

I would suggest creating a copy of the backup files before you attempt any of these. And yes, the statutory warning of "try at your own risk".
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 16:07   #6671
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I have not used this tool, but it says it can recover data from the iTunes backup of your iPhone. It also seems to indicate being able to retrieve recordings.

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

I would suggest creating a copy of the backup files before you attempt any of these. And yes, the statutory warning of "try at your own risk".
gracias señor!

i shall use it and let you know if i screw up.. i mean, am successful
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 20:31   #6672
BHPian
 
Gokrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai and AR
Posts: 287
Thanked: 155 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

I have not used this tool, but it says it can recover data from the iTunes backup of your iPhone. It also seems to indicate being able to retrieve recordings.

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

I would suggest creating a copy of the backup files before you attempt any of these. And yes, the statutory warning of "try at your own risk".
What kind of recording is this? Audio or video? I have tried backup extractor to get copies of my photos and it works and does not alter or damage your iTunes backups.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 03:28   #6673
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,242 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

anyone who has taken the reliance 3000 pm plan? thoughts? considering it.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 11:43   #6674
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
gracias señor!

i shall use it and let you know if i screw up.. i mean, am successful
it works! i was able to the extract the recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
What kind of recording is this? Audio or video? I have tried backup extractor to get copies of my photos and it works and does not alter or damage your iTunes backups.
it was an audio recording. just to be safe, i backed up my iTunes backup before starting the extract. you never know when things go kaput
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 12:14   #6675
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,073
Thanked: 3,667 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Apple is being kind to people who are broke like me. Will be selling the unsold inventory of Iphone 4 in India for about 15K. Agreed that its almost a 4 year model, but if the pricing is to be believed, should be VFM.

However, it will send the resale value of Iphone 4 southwards. But that's no brainer I guess.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone - now $100 since Iphone 3G S (speed) launched D-Man Gadgets, Computers & Software 32 14th February 2010 18:11
Apple iPhone Launched!!! OMG, OMG!!! (EDIT: Feb 5th - New memory sizes) hydrashok Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 21st August 2008 14:33
this is completely insane - Guy waiting in line for iPhone for 5 days in NYC whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 20 1st July 2007 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:20.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks