Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2015, 23:53   #7621
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 34
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I am planning to upgrade my iPhone and iPad. I already got rid of my old iPad. I Presently have a iPhone 4S and I love the build quality, the 5S was a planned upgrade but since its an upgrade why not the latest. My concerns are the build quality of the 6 and 6Plus. can some one using the above phones tell me about their build quality, are they scratch prone. I have dropped my phone couple of times, will the 6/6Plus survive an accidental drop?



Now coming to my iPad usage, I mainly used to use it for facebook youtube and some online reading including tbhp. I don't play games and I listen to songs through sawaan, so hdd size should not be a constraint. I don't want to spend a bomb for this but would definitely like to have one since I used to enjoy the large screen, Hence mini is ruled out. I can shell out something in the early twenties or may be less



Please suggest.



Pramod

Me too was in the same dilemma about iPhone. Anyway, went forward and bought the iPhone 6. To tell the truth, it is never as easy as using 4s . Many a times I wish I had bought a 5s. One handed operations are impossible in 6. Build quality, responsiveness and all are same, no complaints there. 6 was so slippery without a cover/ case that I bought one on the same day after a few hours use ( actual plan was to buy online). Please don't think that reading will be easier in 6, it is no iPad. I think 5s is more user friendly and more convenient to carry. 5s fits in almost all shirt pockets, where as 6 doesn't in most.
Regarding iPad , used iPad 3 and above can be obtained for really cheap prices. If you are not comfortable with used ones, iPad Air 16 GB will be the cheapest. I don't feel much difference in performance of iPad 3 compared to air. Given your use, 3 will be the best option if you could procure one. No need at all to go for air 2.

BTW, one question: is there some app for Volkswagen car radio in iPhone ? I have seen the service app and remote app, is there anything else useful?
shasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 06:44   #7622
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Help!

People.
Ive been happily using an iPhone 4S 32 GB for nearly 3 years now.
I've upgraded to 8.2.3 iOS.
There seem to be some occasional issues of call drop etc.
Further I ve dropped this poor phone several times and it has taken quite a beating with regular and sustained use over time. Else it is a perfect phone. Excellent size and very user friendly. Ideal for mail and whatsapp and all the rest of it.
I am now thinking of the iPhone 6 64GB because I would like to move forward a bit. Not to the latest latest, so Im not really waiting to blow big bucks on the new upcoming 6S or 7 or whatever.
Am quite happy to buy these end-of-lifecycle-yet-relevant models which is why Im thinking of the 6.
The prices seem to be hovering around 56-62K right now on the online web commerce stores.
Is this price likely to drop?
If so when?
I don't want to wait until the last minute because true to apple's strategy they will pull out the 6 64GB variant from the markets just before they launch the new 6S or 7.
So when is a good time to buy? And should I wait around for another month or so before buying?

Any input will be appreciated!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 06:59   #7623
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,579
Thanked: 3,479 Times
Default Re: Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So when is a good time to buy? And should I wait around for another month or so before buying?

Any input will be appreciated!
I assume the next model release should be in September that is still a few months away. Being an iPhone, I don’t think the price will drop, and actually this is pretty good time to get one (we’re planning to get a 6 in April).

I would say, get it now
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 10:25   #7624
BHPian
 
2500cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 660
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
People.
Ive been happily using an iPhone 4S 32 GB for nearly 3 years now.
I've upgraded to 8.2.3 iOS.
There seem to be some occasional issues of call drop etc.
Further I ve dropped this poor phone several times and it has taken quite a beating with regular and sustained use over time. Else it is a perfect phone. Excellent size and very user friendly. Ideal for mail and whatsapp and all the rest of it.
I am now thinking of the iPhone 6 64GB because I would like to move forward a bit. Not to the latest latest, so Im not really waiting to blow big bucks on the new upcoming 6S or 7 or whatever.
Am quite happy to buy these end-of-lifecycle-yet-relevant models which is why Im thinking of the 6.
The prices seem to be hovering around 56-62K right now on the online web commerce stores.
Is this price likely to drop?
If so when?
I don't want to wait until the last minute because true to apple's strategy they will pull out the 6 64GB variant from the markets just before they launch the new 6S or 7.
So when is a good time to buy? And should I wait around for another month or so before buying?

Any input will be appreciated!
Hi Sankar,
Along with the cost, check the size of the phone, make sure you are happy holding 6 in your hand. If yes, go ahead. The prices wont come down drastically in the next 3-4 months. Check for some good offers online and buy it.

If you are not happy with the size, try 5S. Amazon has 32GB for 41K.

Many people I spoke to, who are used to 4s and 5s are not happy with the big screened 6 and 6+, hence this suggestion.

Cheers,
Rajesh
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 10:40   #7625
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,242 Times
Default Re: Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is this price likely to drop?
If so when?
I don't want to wait until the last minute because true to apple's strategy they will pull out the 6 64GB variant from the markets just before they launch the new 6S or 7.
So when is a good time to buy? And should I wait around for another month or so before buying?

Any input will be appreciated!
I had a ditto same strategy (but didnt buy in the end) - the prices really fell around September a week or two after the launch of the 6
http://www.mysmartprice.com/product/...ther#tab_graph
http://www.mysmartprice.com/product/...ther#tab_graph
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 10:52   #7626
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cochin
Posts: 63
Thanked: Once
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

My old buddy iPhone 3GS battery getting weaker and weaker.

Has anyone bought battery recently online or offline ( Cochin / TVM )

Please let me know
icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 19:43   #7627
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Thank you Vb
Will probably take your advice because I ve never been good at waiting for something I want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I assume the next model release should be in September that is still a few months away. Being an iPhone, I don’t think the price will drop, and actually this is pretty good time to get one (we’re planning to get a 6 in April).

I would say, get it now


Thank you 2500 CC
I am comfortable with the Size of the plain old 6. The shut off button on the side could pose irritation at the outset but Im sure not for too long.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hi Sankar,
Along with the cost, check the size of the phone, make sure you are happy holding 6 in your hand. If yes, go ahead. The prices wont come down drastically in the next 3-4 months. Check for some good offers online and buy it.

If you are not happy with the size, try 5S. Amazon has 32GB for 41K.

Many people I spoke to, who are used to 4s and 5s are not happy with the big screened 6 and 6+, hence this suggestion.

Cheers,
Rajesh


Thanks mate.
I guess I will consider it in April...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I had a ditto same strategy (but didnt buy in the end) - the prices really fell around September a week or two after the launch of the 6
http://www.mysmartprice.com/product/...ther#tab_graph
http://www.mysmartprice.com/product/...ther#tab_graph
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 00:15   #7628
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 928
Thanked: 315 Times
Smile Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I have a 'bought-in-India' iPhone 5 which has also developed the 'bulging' battery issue !
And it's also got the non-functioning 'Home' button problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
I agree, the parts doesn't seem to be as reliable as earlier.
But am still happy with the response I got for my problems even though the device is no longer under warranty.
So you should be able to get the battery replaced for free since the device was purchased here.
Hey thanks & I guess Apple does take care of it's own
Gave my iPhone to Apple Care here in Chennai Thursday evening, got a replacement iPhone today evening (Saturday).
Not only was my original phone out of warranty, it wasn't showing up under the battery recall program either.
When I'd dropped off the phone they told me that I'd have to pay 23K for the battery replacement.
But apparently, the 'bulging battery' issue's still covered & they gave me a replacement phone today.

The only other positive experience I've had when it comes to replacements is with Microsoft.
They replaced my X-Box 360, twice in 4 years - delivered home each time too !
-
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 00:57   #7629
BHPian
 
kkkkkaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 160
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post





So when is a good time to buy? And should I wait around for another month or so before buying?



Any input will be appreciated!

There is no expectation for any sort of drop in price. In fact, april onwards the price will go up thanks to the tax increase on import.
Official price for the 64gb will go to 63500. So expect online price to hover around 59. If you do find something for around 56-57, do not hesitate in buying it.
Ive also upgraded to the iphone 6, beginning of this month, and im pretty happy with it overall.
kkkkkaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 05:05   #7630
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 248
Thanked: 110 Times
Default The iPhone Thread

Did anyone else lose your Safari bookmarks with 8.2?
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 05:30   #7631
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

I can also vouch for Apple customer care. There is no other company ever that I had a better experience with, outside or inside India. That their products are good also helps. I would not think twice before putting my money on Apple products.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 08:25   #7632
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Did anyone else lose your Safari bookmarks with 8.2?

Nope. I still got my bookmarks in Safari.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 20:41   #7633
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 466
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hey thanks & I guess Apple does take care of it's own
Gave my iPhone to Apple Care here in Chennai Thursday evening, got a replacement iPhone today evening (Saturday).
-
Nice!

Btw, did they mention why they are replacing the entire phone?
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 06:34   #7634
BHPian
 
RiGOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 150
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
When I'd dropped off the phone they told me that I'd have to pay 23K for the battery replacement.
23K for replacing the battery alone?
RiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 07:34   #7635
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
23K for replacing the battery alone?

Nope; Apple does not believe in repair, 23K is for a replacement phone after you return the broken/damaged one.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone - now $100 since Iphone 3G S (speed) launched D-Man Gadgets, Computers & Software 32 14th February 2010 18:11
Apple iPhone Launched!!! OMG, OMG!!! (EDIT: Feb 5th - New memory sizes) hydrashok Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 21st August 2008 14:33
this is completely insane - Guy waiting in line for iPhone for 5 days in NYC whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 20 1st July 2007 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:50.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks