Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 15:15   #7951
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 430
Thanked: 718 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Dunno about fellow iPhone owners here, but my 2 year old iPhone 5S feels much slower & extremely laggy with iOS 9. I can see the difference while opening the Music & WhatsAp apps. It just takes a second or two longer than it used to. Plus, the multi tasking effect just looks terribly jittery & stutter-y.

I've tried lotsa stuff like restarting, killing old apps, formatting, but nothing seems to help.

Anyone else using iOS 9 on their 5S? Or am I the only poor boy out here with a 2 year old Apple
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 15:42   #7952
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 401
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Dunno about fellow iPhone owners here, but my 2 year old iPhone 5S feels much slower & extremely laggy with iOS 9. I can see the difference while opening the Music & WhatsAp apps. It just takes a second or two longer than it used to. Plus, the multi tasking effect just looks terribly jittery & stutter-y.

I've tried lotsa stuff like restarting, killing old apps, formatting, but nothing seems to help.

Anyone else using iOS 9 on their 5S? Or am I the only poor boy out here with a 2 year old Apple
Am having a 5S with ios 9 on it. It was laggy after the upgrade. Then I did a complete reset and set it up as a new phone. Its smooth as before now.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 15:49   #7953
BHPian
 
woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 126
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

I too have a 5s. It is working lag free post ios9 upgrade. Not faced any issue so far.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 16:16   #7954
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,191
Thanked: 824 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Am having a 5S with ios 9 on it. It was laggy after the upgrade. Then I did a complete reset and set it up as a new phone. Its smooth as before now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Dunno about fellow iPhone owners here, but my 2 year old iPhone 5S feels much slower & extremely laggy with iOS 9. I can see the difference while opening the Music & WhatsAp apps. It just takes a second or two longer than it used to. Plus, the multi tasking effect just looks terribly jittery & stutter-y.

I've tried lotsa stuff like restarting, killing old apps, formatting, but nothing seems to help.

Anyone else using iOS 9 on their 5S? Or am I the only poor boy out here with a 2 year old Apple
I am facing the same problem though I have an even older Apple, a 2.5 yr old 5 . I am also facing reduced volume from speakers which was not the case before the upgrade.
Did you upgrade to iOS 9 directly from the phone or did you do it through iTunes on your PC? The last time I faced issues after an upgrade, I was advised by Apple Support to restore the device using iTunes. It did work for me last time. Since then I had been following the same process. This time I forgot and upgraded from the phone directly. Seems like a restore is on cards for my phone, again .

Any body else noticed a reduction in speaker output (both for rings as well as music player) after the update to 9?
ashis89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 16:36   #7955
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 401
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I am facing the same problem though I have an even older Apple, a 2.5 yr old 5 . I am also facing reduced volume from speakers which was not the case before the upgrade.
Did you upgrade to iOS 9 directly from the phone or did you do it through iTunes on your PC? The last time I faced issues after an upgrade, I was advised by Apple Support to restore the device using iTunes. It did work for me last time. Since then I had been following the same process. This time I forgot and upgraded from the phone directly. Seems like a restore is on cards for my phone, again .

Any body else noticed a reduction in speaker output (both for rings as well as music player) after the update to 9?
I updated from phone itself. But it was laggy after upgrade. I immediately reset everything. Not used to see lag on iDevices. Same was the case with my iPad air. Laggy and was overheating. Reset fixed that as well. However, my wife's iPhone 6 is facing horrible battery drain after the update. Even reset didn't help in this case.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 16:45   #7956
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 602
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Guys, I have been a BB & android user all along. Lately I am exploring the possibilities of going the apple way. Honestly I do not want to splurge money on the 5s, 6s. Is it worthwhile to go with the dated 4s? I personally think it is very sleek and does the job. Opinions please
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 16:53   #7957
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 430
Thanked: 718 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Thanks for the suggestions fellas! I did an OTA upgrade to iOS 9. Guessing that's the reason for the laggy behavior. So, seems like a full erase-&-restore is back on the menu boys ! But it does raise the question, why does it feel laggy with an OTA update, and not with an update through iTunes? Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Guys.... Is it worthwhile to go with the dated 4s? I personally think it is very sleek and does the job. Opinions please
Err, yes it is sleek, but it is running on ancient hardware, any way you look at it! So, please don't splurge any cash on the 4S. Get a 5S/6 when the new 6S models launch in a month or two. That would be my recommendation.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 21st September 2015 at 16:55.
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 17:03   #7958
BHPian
 
csnanjappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 49 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Guys, I have been a BB & android user all along. Lately I am exploring the possibilities of going the apple way. Honestly I do not want to splurge money on the 5s, 6s. Is it worthwhile to go with the dated 4s? I personally think it is very sleek and does the job. Opinions please

Please dont' buy 4S , it's too old phone to use . Try to get a good deal on 5s - its very sleek and performance is good to .
csnanjappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 19:02   #7959
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,597
Thanked: 3,527 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions fellas! I did an OTA upgrade to iOS 9. Guessing that's the reason for the laggy behavior. So, seems like a full erase-&-restore is back on the menu boys ! But it does raise the question, why does it feel laggy with an OTA update, and not with an update through iTunes? Any thoughts?
I did an OTA update for the 5S and did not have any lag issues. Phone works perfectly.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 23:46   #7960
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,505
Thanked: 3,522 Times
Default

5S here too, no issues so far but seems a bit laggy once in a while randomly. Maybe I'll do a reset and see if anything improves.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:26   #7961
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 251
Thanked: 193 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

I updated my 5 to iOS 9. It is bit laggy but not to the level of uncomfort.
My phone is physically in very bad condition as my son used it to the core causing lots of dents cracks etc.
I never use any protective case as i somehow don't like them.
Just waiting for Iphone 6s to be launched and will go with 128gb option.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:42   #7962
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,505
Thanked: 3,522 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
5S here too, no issues so far but seems a bit laggy once in a while randomly. Maybe I'll do a reset and see if anything improves.
ok, reset the phone and still laggy. a colleague of mine has 9.1 beta installed on his 6 and says the patch fixes the problem. now, i wait.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:44   #7963
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 401
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
ok, reset the phone and still laggy. a colleague of mine has 9.1 beta installed on his 6 and says the patch fixes the problem. now, i wait.
Seems more problems. My 5s started overheating for no reason yesterday. Hard reset it by Power + Home button and issue was resolved for some 4-5 hours. Now the issue is back again
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:50   #7964
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,505
Thanked: 3,522 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Seems more problems. My 5s started overheating for no reason yesterday. Hard reset it by Power + Home button and issue was resolved for some 4-5 hours. Now the issue is back again
whoa! i don't have that problem as of now; only the laggy thingy. the battery life has increased, which is good because i'm using LTE.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:57   #7965
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 401
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
whoa! i don't have that problem as of now; only the laggy thingy. the battery life has increased, which is good because i'm using LTE.
Battery life was same as before on LTE for me. On a side note, my good old 4S is holding up on a single charge for the past 7 days. It is registered on mobile network and connected to WiFi. I just check it once a day to see if its dead Wife's iPhone 6 is off to service center. Overnight drain of around 40% with no actual usage. Tried erasing completely, but no result.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone - now $100 since Iphone 3G S (speed) launched D-Man Gadgets, Computers & Software 32 14th February 2010 18:11
Apple iPhone Launched!!! OMG, OMG!!! (EDIT: Feb 5th - New memory sizes) hydrashok Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 21st August 2008 14:33
this is completely insane - Guy waiting in line for iPhone for 5 days in NYC whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 20 1st July 2007 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks