Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 18th February 2018, 00:19   #10981
BHPian

Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I got in touch with iService and they were ready to replace the screen for approx 12k, I'll be calling other authrised apple service centres tomorrow
My experience as an iPhone user since last 8 years now in Bangalore. Go with apple authorised service centre only if u get free replacement under warranty. In your case it is physical damage. Obviously this will not be covered under warranty. When third party is quoting less than half the price go for it. They do a decent job and at the same time either way its a risk. At the most you will get 90 days free replacement warranty for the part replaced from Apple Authorised centre in case you opt for it!
lazybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 00:45   #10982
BHPian

Quote:
However, I wanted to know if there's any harm in going with iService, it costs significantly lower and they say its close to original. Phone is only 4 months old so if need be can get a genuine replacement done since she plans on keeping it for another 3 years atleast, but just wanted to know if third party options have cons other than a slightly inferior display.
I was in the same spot when I dropped my iPhone 6 on the road & cracked the entire screen to bits.
I too found the screen replacement cost from the Apple A.S.C very high, so I went ahead and got the screen replaced by a third party.
Trust me when I say this, but my phone wasn’t the same anymore. The new display was laggy, unresponsive & leaked a lot of light.
I had a tonne of issues with the screen, right from the day it was replaced, to the day I sold off my phone, so I’d highly advise you against going with a third party to replace such a vital part of the phone, especially when your sister plans to retain it for quite a while.
Also, since it’s an iPhone 7 Plus, using an aftermarket screen might result in Touch ID failure.

Last edited by AShubrah : 18th February 2018 at 00:55.
AShubrah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 07:40   #10983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post

USD 149 is cheaper than INR 14000. You should have sailed to US and got it done there.
haha yeah I wish I could control where the ship sailed to. Im just an employee saar (Chief engineer ). Jokes aside , I got a call from the folks at maple and they have said the phone would arrive from Bangalore to Bombay around Tuesday/ Wednesday. After using the alternate android phone (note 5) since 6 months , can't wait to get back to the iPhone and iOS!
vinitbhavi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 11:22   #10984
BHPian

Quote:
However, I wanted to know if there's any harm in going with iService, it costs significantly lower and they say its close to original. Phone is only 4 months old so if need be can get a genuine replacement done since she plans on keeping it for another 3 years atleast, but just wanted to know if third party options have cons other than a slightly inferior display.
The warranty should be for one year on all iPhones. Why would you want to jeopardize your warranty balance of 8 months or so by putting a substandard screen and also since she wants to use the instrument for another 3 years.
Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote