Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:08   #1336
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

Thanks for the help guys.
The APN crack on cydia works
the APN for airtel live is : airtelfun.com

Cheers
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:37   #1337
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
By that logic, I can also sue Merc or Audi saying that their cars are priced cheaper in the UK.
Not about price but being locked to Airtel or Vodafone despite paying full price and no subsidy from operator. Apple can price in India at 1 L if they want but unless operator pays subsidy they has no business to lock to operator.This is against MRTP laws in India and also in US

AT&T price also factor in 2 years contract and then lock in.

You can sue Audi and Merc if they force you to drive on particular toll highway

By the way in France only open iPhone is being sold as it is against anti-monopoly laws to restrict sale to particular operator. What we are seeing in India is consumer pays full price and gets locked to either Airtel or Vodafone.

Last edited by amitk26 : 23rd February 2009 at 23:43.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 01:16   #1338
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
What the hell is an APN fix? I've been using different APNs on my 3G with no issues so far. I've used Airtel, Idea, my service provider here, the competitor here and various operators in Europe.

This is just as Jaggu explained.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 09:53   #1339
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,567
Thanked: 7,028 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
By the way in France only open iPhone is being sold as it is against anti-monopoly laws to restrict sale to particular operator. What we are seeing in India is consumer pays full price and gets locked to either Airtel or Vodafone.
Nope handsets are locked, you can unlock by requesting for the code and paying up a penalty of 100 Euro.

Italy is selling unlocked though.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 11:12   #1340
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,881
Thanked: 15,526 Times
Default

You can lock handset only if you are subsidizing the phone and want to recover costs through usage. However selling a phone at full price and then "locking" may attract MRPTC if the case is reported
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 12:33   #1341
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I dont think you will be able to run the Airtel plan on the iphone since it is 2g.
Not sure though.
Also the iphone 3g has no navigation or sound. Useless IMO.
Not true. I have the airtel Mobile office prepaid (Rs.99 per week, unlimited) and works like a charm. Yes, it is on a 2g.

For the speeds I get, I had posted a screen shot on BB thread.. check this link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1178554

Regarding the APN settings, Apple has put in the APN settings for Airtel and Vodafone India when they upgraded to 2.0 and that is the reason you don't see the option to change the APN setting under Settings-> General. I just restarted the phone after subscribing to the MO package and I was good to go.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 12:42   #1342
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Regarding the APN settings, Apple has put in the APN settings for Airtel and Vodafone India when they upgraded to 2.0 and that is the reason you don't see the option to change the APN setting under Settings-> General. I just restarted the phone after subscribing to the MO package and I was good to go.

Very Strange - but this did not work for me on my 2G cracked iPhone. I had to manually add the APN for this to work. (Vodafone though)
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 12:52   #1343
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Kb100,

I am not quite sure. Coz that is the main reason why you don't see it in the list. If you put in any other sim card, the option shows up again. Also, now a days whenever I connect to iTunes, a message pops up for a Carrier update.

The apple knowledge base has to say this about the update...
"iTunes 7.7 and later has the ability to update the carrier specific settings on iPhone with iPhone 2.0 software or later. Carrier settings updates are small files (about 10k) that are downloaded from iTunes to be installed on your iPhone. The carrier settings can include updates to the default APN (how iPhone accesses the carrier's cellular data network), special dialing codes at Settings > Phone > [Carrier] Services, default settings for Stocks, Maps, Weather, and other items."


Does anyone have new places where I can get the apps? Appulo seems to be hosting a lot of dead links.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 14:42   #1344
BHPian
 
srijit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 594
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You can lock handset only if you are subsidizing the phone and want to recover costs through usage. However selling a phone at full price and then "locking" may attract MRPTC if the case is reported
Cant Airtel or Vodafone just claim that it costs them 40K per handset and they are subsidizing it and locking people to their network?
Also just because an iPhone costs XX$, does it mean that we can just apply a currency conversion to get equivalent Indian price? I think not.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 14:44   #1345
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,881
Thanked: 15,526 Times
Default

Yes companies can claim anything. To prevent companies from claiming anything we have the MRPTC. All over the world companies will try to claim a lot of things, and regulation exists to stop them from doing so.
If Airtel/vodaphone are actually subsidizing the iphone, they have to prove it in front of MRPTC. But I am sure this won't come to that, as corporate governance laws in India still belong to british raj.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 14:59   #1346
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes companies can claim anything. To prevent companies from claiming anything we have the MRPTC. All over the world companies will try to claim a lot of things, and regulation exists to stop them from doing so.
If Airtel/vodaphone are actually subsidizing the iphone, they have to prove it in front of MRPTC. But I am sure this won't come to that, as corporate governance laws in India still belong to british raj.
TSK laws are lame duck here in other countries monopoly commissions appointed by government take suo-moto notice. Apple thinks it is important to follow french law but in India they flout shamelessly.

being in handset industry for last 11 years I can say that there Mac fans created initial hysteria for iPhone, but in country like India where there is no mac presence of hysteria the craze is unwarranted there are better touchscreen phones available fully unlocked in market.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 16:11   #1347
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Kb100,

I am not quite sure. Coz that is the main reason why you don't see it in the list. If you put in any other sim card, the option shows up again. Also, now a days whenever I connect to iTunes, a message pops up for a Carrier update.
On 7th Feb, Apple has pushed some network/carrier update, if you are receiving message after that, its probably that only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post

Does anyone have new places where I can get the apps? Appulo seems to be hosting a lot of dead links.
I am also looking out for other source, can somebody provide it ?
Thanks.
saurabh159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 19:51   #1348
BHPian
 
srijit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 594
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You can lock handset only if you are subsidizing the phone and want to recover costs through usage. However selling a phone at full price and then "locking" may attract MRPTC if the case is reported
Tanveer, take a look at this wiki link. It even mentions the iPhone.

SIM lock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also gives a list of countries and their stand on sim locking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In France, SIM locks are not prohibited.
More at that link above.

Last edited by srijit : 25th February 2009 at 19:52.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 11:02   #1349
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 384
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

News report in Hindi Eco Times Website that Apple is planning to retail Iphone soon at around Rs. 15000/-
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 11:25   #1350
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Tanveer, take a look at this wiki link. It even mentions the iPhone.

SIM lock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also gives a list of countries and their stand on sim locking.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In France, SIM locks are not prohibited.

More at that link above.
though Wiki is not most authentic source but read the lines below each heading as well

Quoting from same Wiki link

In France, SIM locks are not prohibited. However, the mobile operator must inform the consumer of the existence of a SIM lock. The subscriber has the right to request that the SIM lock be removed at any time. No later than 6 months prior to the conclusion of the contract, the mobile operator must "systematically and free of charge" provide the subscriber with a procedure to deactivate the SIM lock.[8] Operators may charge a fee for removing the SIM lock prior to the 6-month deadline.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone - now $100 since Iphone 3G S (speed) launched D-Man Gadgets, Computers & Software 32 14th February 2010 18:11
Apple iPhone Launched!!! OMG, OMG!!! (EDIT: Feb 5th - New memory sizes) hydrashok Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 21st August 2008 14:33
this is completely insane - Guy waiting in line for iPhone for 5 days in NYC whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 20 1st July 2007 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks