Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 1st May 2008, 13:09   #1
BHPian

Default Is TATA SKY Down

Hi,

Is the TATA SKY network down for the Bangalore viewers since the last 1-2 days ?

I am trying to contact their customer support, but the call never connects to a representative, The usual pre-recorded messages keeps looping forever.

-Fillmore
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 16:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont have any issue so far, as many other tata sky viewers in my society. Probably you could check if your neighbour is getting it. If yes, then get your own dish and cables checked.
shajufx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 17:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Dish right? How can it be down!!!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 18:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Dish right? How can it be down!!!

Unfortunately Harry Potter was trying to show off his new turbo charged broom last night and in his excitement knocked out a couple of satellites.

This might explain why some Sat TV connections went down.

We are working on this problem, you are important to us.
sorry for the indifference.

ha ha ha.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 18:47   #5
BHPian

Working for me in here. In fact never went down.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 19:19   #6
BHPian

Thanks for your responses, The problem is resolved.
The dish had changed its position by a few degrees.

Since 3 other people in the same Building who have TATA Sky had the same issue I thought it was an issue with the satellite link.

Could be due to the rain, Or the local cable operator who might have done this mischief to all the 3 dishes
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 21:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Fillmore: good that your problem got solved. But how did the dish get misaligned?

No complaints whatsoever from my condo here in Gurgaon. Ever since I got it installed, more than a year ago, no problems whatsoever..
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 21:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Tata sky cannot be down only to viewers in Bangalore, since its satellite footprint must be convering a major geographical portion of India...
If it is down, must be down for all.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st May 2008 at 21:41.
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 21:42   #9
BHPian

I too never have had any problems with TataSky ever since I got it installed on 22-10-2006. The dish too has never moved even in heavy typhoon like winds. I must commend TataSky for this. Its been nothing but a great experience.
Old 1st May 2008, 23:13   #10
BHPian

I think I spoke a little too soon . For the first time in 1 and a half years my TataSky went down after a very very heavy downpour. It is probably temporary but this has never happened before. Someone here has cursed my connection
Old 1st May 2008, 23:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

When it rains very hard, which is often in monsoon, I do have 30-60 second outages. Once I almost had 5 minutes outage, that was when the rain was pounding us like an artillery barrage.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 23:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When it rains very hard, which is often in monsoon, I do have 30-60 second outages. Once I almost had 5 minutes outage, that was when the rain was pounding us like an artillery barrage.
Probably that's what's happening in here right now. The rain feels like a barrage of heavy machine gun fire. Its been down for more than 10 minutes now.
Old 1st May 2008, 23:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

In heavy rains both Dish TV & Tata Sky can go down for extended periods of time. Nothing major but that's just a shortcoming this technology has.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 23:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
In heavy rains both Dish TV & Tata Sky can go down for extended periods of time. Nothing major but that's just a shortcoming this technology has.
Actually there is a solution to this problem but only if the service providers are willing to listen. Sky in UK is offering a mesh type antenna for its subscribers as in the UK too the rains are severe.

The mesh dish ensures that water does not accumulate on the dish surface and thus the signal is constant and does not break. We have this loss of signal as the water accumulates on the dish for a short period of time and the signal is not available for that period of time.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...y_minidish.JPG
Attached Images

Old 2nd May 2008, 01:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Actually there is a solution to this problem but only if the service providers are willing to listen. Sky in UK is offering a mesh type antenna for its subscribers as in the UK too the rains are severe.

The mesh dish ensures that water does not accumulate on the dish surface and thus the signal is constant and does not break. We have this loss of signal as the water accumulates on the dish for a short period of time and the signal is not available for that period of time.
Thats right, I have had a mesh desh for years. Got a 60cm with a monoblock 0.2db lnb pointing at 13E and 19.2E. Never had a problem in rain or snow. Also have a small Sky dish which is also fine in rain. Surpised the mesh dish has never caught on in India. 3 LNBs piped via a diseqc switch to my patched technomate receiver. Plenty of free channels and lots of free boxing to watch.

If your dish is correctly alligned and you still have reception problems then you could try a 0.1db LNB.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote