Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2008, 20:08   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 10 Times
Default PS2 to USB adapter

Hi aaggoswami,

This is from another post of yours.

> There will be people who will give you one adapter where you will have One
> usb plug that goes into laptop, and the two other plugs from which PS/2
> keyboard and mouse are attached. STAY AWAY FROM THIS.

Any particular reason for the above?

We have been using it since more than 18 months with our laptops. So far have not faced any problems.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 20:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,315
Thanked: 3,656 Times
Default

@trrk, which thread was this post in ? What was the context ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 20:45   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 6,084 Times
Default

i think instead of making a post hes made a new thread.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 22:43   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default We did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi aaggoswami,

This is from another post of yours.

> There will be people who will give you one adapter where you will have One
> usb plug that goes into laptop, and the two other plugs from which PS/2
> keyboard and mouse are attached. STAY AWAY FROM THIS.

Any particular reason for the above?

We have been using it since more than 18 months with our laptops. So far have not faced any problems.

We did face this problem on LG FD-224QA2 laptop and thats why I asked the person to avoid this set up. I have also mentioned that I had four USB ports that proved to be luxury while doing this. If someone is really comfortable and does not face problems, then its fine, but I did and so did a couple of my friends who have HP laptops ( remember that I have mentioned more than once that I am from computer realated field and so almost all my mates have 2 computers, i.e one laptop and one desktop and some desktops involve me as assembler ).

This post was not to target someone directly. I just had mentioned what I felt was best learning curve from my expeirence. We have 4 desktops and one laptop. Laptop and one desktop have intel hardware and 2 desktops are AMD and one is Cyrix with Windows 98.

Please note that I never pinpointed this to any other user.

Nowadays, we can easily plug USB keyboard and mouse ( our lab has all keyboards and mouse as USB in 120 desktops running with E6600) into desktops and use them and so we can do with PS/2 also. So USB is not a bad option.

I hope that I have made it very clear.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 11:19   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi,

> @trrk, which thread was this post in ? What was the context ?[/quote]

@condor, this was taken from the thread regarding a heating up LG laptop. Since I wanted to ask about the using of PS2 adapters and did not want a ram from the moderators for taking off on an unrelated to the original topic matter, made a new post.

> i think instead of making a post hes made a new thread.

@akshay1234, I hope the above makes it clear.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 11:29   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi aaggoswami,

> This post was not to target someone directly. I just had mentioned what I
> felt was best learning curve from my expeirence.

I think you mistook my query.

> I hope that I have made it very clear.

Sorry. All I wanted to now was about your warning about not using the USB adapter with two PS2 inputs on the other side. I am using such adapters for the 4 laptops that I use. Is there any relation to this adapter and heating up of the laptop.

In my purely user's experience, my LG and Sahara Laptops (both 14.1" screens and of square shape) heat up and I keep a watch on the temperature with an utility called mobile meter. They obviously don't like DOS applications and my inventory software is DOS based and has to be used.

Though I don't have a widescreen laptop of the above brands, Acer's 14.1 and 15.4" widescreen laptops don't have any problems of overheating as I use 2 of the former and one of the latter.

As I type my LG is showing a processor temperature of 75degree C and HDD is at 37 degree C.

I still want to know about the twin PS2 USB adapter about which you have talked.

Once again, sorry for misleading you.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 23:36   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi aaggoswami,

> This post was not to target someone directly. I just had mentioned what I
> felt was best learning curve from my expeirence.

I think you mistook my query.

> I hope that I have made it very clear.

Sorry. All I wanted to now was about your warning about not using the USB adapter with two PS2 inputs on the other side. I am using such adapters for the 4 laptops that I use. Is there any relation to this adapter and heating up of the laptop.

In my purely user's experience, my LG and Sahara Laptops (both 14.1" screens and of square shape) heat up and I keep a watch on the temperature with an utility called mobile meter. They obviously don't like DOS applications and my inventory software is DOS based and has to be used.

Though I don't have a widescreen laptop of the above brands, Acer's 14.1 and 15.4" widescreen laptops don't have any problems of overheating as I use 2 of the former and one of the latter.

As I type my LG is showing a processor temperature of 75degree C and HDD is at 37 degree C.

I still want to know about the twin PS2 USB adapter about which you have talked.

Once again, sorry for misleading you.
NO, there is no realtion to the heating up of laptop with the adapter.
Overheating is generally caused be insufficient/improper ventilation.
Insufficient/Improper ventilation apart from poor quality of parts used and poor design are the major factors for overheating.
LG ( lower end models) laptops have tendency to heat up, and we are facing that.

Well, about the adapter, it goes like this. Its basically Y shaped, On one end you have USB port that goes into the USB port of laptop that happens to be the base of Y. The two upper points of Y are for PS/2 keyboard and mouse to be plugged in. It is pretty cheap and will cost about 20-30rs. i.e. the street price. The quality is a question also. Generally, they are from China with the worst possible build quality. This is also one of the reasons why avoid them. Getting this adapter with high quality is difficult.

Hope I am able to explain properly.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 19:20   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi,

> Hope I am able to explain properly.

I can understand about the quality. But apart from quality does it have any other ill effects?

I have been using it since more than 18 months in multiple laptops with no visible ill effects.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 09:37   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

> Hope I am able to explain properly.

I can understand about the quality. But apart from quality does it have any other ill effects?

I have been using it since more than 18 months in multiple laptops with no visible ill effects.
There are no ill effects at all. Its all about quality of the adapter. If the adapter quality is not good then there might be connection problems which, frankly speaking, are irritating. And apart from that the reliability is also not good. Thats why going in for the USB keyboard and USB mouse will help as there wont be any connection problems or reliability issues.

The one I had got was of not good quality, but the next three were also bad, so went on to purchase USB that are now working very fine.

Again: THERE WONT BE ANY ISSUES IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THE LAPTOPS LIKE OVERHEATING.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 20:08   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi,

> THERE WONT BE ANY ISSUES IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THE LAPTOPS LIKE
> OVERHEATING.

Thats fine enough. I can live with the occasional trouble (they are not giving any trouble now) rather than waste all those PS2 keyboards and mice that I had from the desktops.

Last edited by trrk : 18th May 2008 at 20:09. Reason: Spelling correction
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 20:15   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

> THERE WONT BE ANY ISSUES IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THE LAPTOPS LIKE
> OVERHEATING.

Thats fine enough. I can live with the occasional trouble (they are not giving any trouble now) rather than waste all those PS2 keyboards and mice that I had from the desktops.

Yes, if you have any PS/2 keyboards or mouse, then this adapter is worth spending 20-30rs. We had one TVS-Gold keyboard from desktop ( that CPU was being repaired ) so thought that lets try this adapter. It did not work realiably and it was working well again with that desktop. So Went for USB. In your case what you have done is nothing to fault with.

What's more, its working fine so no need to worry.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB Adapter / Connector for the Maruti Wagon R (Nippon System) GTO In-Car Entertainment 1 8th September 2016 20:45
USB adapter hacks for pioneer 6950ib overdose14 In-Car Entertainment 3 17th April 2007 11:15
USB GPS adapter for sale vivekiny2k Shifting gears 6 21st May 2006 03:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks