Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 08:22   #1696
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Sorry am travelling so i couldnt demonstrate. But you got it perfectly right there, thats exactly what i meant. It worked for me, so give it a try. Thanks sanagg1 for posting the example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
If you pickup coordinated from google maps for Delhi these will be something like

28.650223,77.227707

By reversing i mean

77.227707, 28.650223

cheers
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 16:26   #1697
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,175
Thanked: 354 Times
Default Map upgrade (for Garmin) from SatGuide

Guys,

I have April 2010 release of SatNav maps running on my Garmin Nuvi 205w. Am planning to buy the upgrade online - Current cost is INR 400. Has anyone tried upgrading their SatNav maps for Garmin? How easy/straightforward is the process? Given that the maps I am currently using are on a mini-SD card, would they send me another mini-SD card for the upgraded maps? Their web-site says that after purchase a link would be provided and I would be required to download a 'file'. I don't think I can get this file onto the mini-SD card I have. Also, there is no point copying this file to my Garmin device I guess.


Thanks in advance!
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 22:37   #1698
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,022
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Confused !

Guys,

I am a newbie to car GPS.
What i am looking at is a basic GPS navigation with street level maps and voice navigation. Don't require any thing more than this.

On the basis of posts here i have shortlisted following products:

Blaupunkt Travelpilot Lucca Gps Navigator With All India Navigation Maps
Cost: 7.5k
and

MapmyIndia Navigator RoadPilot For GPS Navigation | Maps
Cost: 8k

Whats confusing here is that travelpilot lucca has a bigger screen and more features than MMI road-pilot, but is still cheaper. Can't figure out why?

Also, my car does not have a car charger - its a old WagonR LXi with a covered car charging slot - i don't think there is any internal connection at all. Will it be difficult to get the charger installed in the first place?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 23:37   #1699
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,911
Thanked: 15,573 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Car charger is an easy job, You can have it done either directly through car battery, or via a relay with the ignition acting as a switch.
Whatever you do, do not piggyback on any other circuit like Stereo system etc,
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 00:25   #1700
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Also, my car does not have a car charger - its a old WagonR LXi with a covered car charging slot - i don't think there is any internal connection at all. Will it be difficult to get the charger installed in the first place?
Install the cigarette lighter, costs only around 200 bucks.

If you want basic navigation, have you thought of a smartphone instead ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 02:04   #1701
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,729
Thanked: 6,937 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Does anybody know anything about Olive products, both in general, and specifically the OlivePad? Comes with MapMyIndia navigation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 07:04   #1702
BHPian
 
sanagg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: HIMALYAS
Posts: 274
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Does anybody know anything about Olive products, both in general, and specifically the OlivePad? Comes with MapMyIndia navigation.
May like to see
Olivepad (Samsung Galaxy Tab vs OlivePad VT100)

IMO a workable low cost solution

Cheers
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 07:21   #1703
BHPian
 
sanagg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: HIMALYAS
Posts: 274
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Confused !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Guys,

I am a newbie to car GPS.
What i am looking at is a basic GPS navigation with street level maps and voice navigation. Don't require any thing more than this.

On the basis of posts here i have shortlisted following products:

Blaupunkt Travelpilot Lucca Gps Navigator With All India Navigation Maps
Cost: 7.5k
and

MapmyIndia Navigator RoadPilot For GPS Navigation | Maps
Cost: 8k

Whats confusing here is that travelpilot lucca has a bigger screen and more features than MMI road-pilot, but is still cheaper. Can't figure out why?
Roadpilot is Window CE 6.0 with 500 MHz while lucca is window CE5.0 and 400 MHz.
See the tech specs at the link provided by yourself
IMO roadpilot is better product amongst two

Happy hunting
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 10:18   #1704
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,022
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Install the cigarette lighter, costs only around 200 bucks.

If you want basic navigation, have you thought of a smartphone instead ?
I have an unused Belkin car charger.
Belkin : AC Anywhere DC - AC Inverter
Will that do?

Already have a basic smartphone (smsung galaxy 3) with GPS. Still need a dedicated GPS device after having seen a glimpse of what GPS has to offer.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 12:30   #1705
BHPian
 
sanagg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: HIMALYAS
Posts: 274
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I have an unused Belkin car charger.
Belkin : AC Anywhere DC - AC Inverter
Will that do?
Just cross check the fuse ratings on lighter socket to avoid a blown fuse.
For 300W rating DC to AC converter current requirement would be ~25A

Cheers
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 12:58   #1706
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,314 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Thanks v much

One more query:

I bought my Garmin Nuvi 205W in England around 6-7 months back.
It worked perfectly well while I was driving around there and in Ireland etc because it came pre-loaded with UK Maps.

I chose at the time, to buy a device instead of renting one along with the rental car because the rental price for the Satnav and the buy price were more or less the same.

Then when I came back to India I bought and installed the MMI SD Card for India maps. Now its been working beautifully here as well.

I am visiting the UK again sometime soon and intend using my Satnav while Im driving around there - what will I have to do to get the Garmin back onto UK Maps mode? Will I have to remove my MMI SD Card from the device or is there a way of picking and choosing the country one is in and using the device while driving there, while leaving the SD Card as it is?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
SB


Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
If you pickup coordinated from google maps for Delhi these will be something like

28.650223,77.227707

By reversing i mean

77.227707, 28.650223

cheers
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 13:21   #1707
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,175
Thanked: 354 Times
Default Import of route from Google Maps/Google Earth to Garmin

Anyone tried this? Any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 13:23   #1708
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,869 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

If the UK map has not been deleted (unlikely that you would have), it will automatically use that map. Just make sure it is listed under Maps.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 13:26   #1709
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,175
Thanked: 354 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am visiting the UK again sometime soon and intend using my Satnav while Im driving around there - what will I have to do to get the Garmin back onto UK Maps mode? Will I have to remove my MMI SD Card from the device or is there a way of picking and choosing the country one is in and using the device while driving there, while leaving the SD Card as it is?
Option A - Remove the SD card altogether. This would force the unit to refer to the default/internal maps (which I presume are still there in the device).

Option B - Instruct the unit to refer to internal maps only, while retaining the SD card. You need to check/uncheck the relevant options under - 'Settings' -> 'Maps' -> MapInfo

Hope that helps.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 13:33   #1710
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,729
Thanked: 6,937 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
May like to see
Olivepad (Samsung Galaxy Tab vs OlivePad VT100)

IMO a workable low cost solution

Cheers
Thanks for the pointer to that thread.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sygic Maps Vs MMI maps, what's the difference? rkbharat Gadgets, Computers & Software 38 1st July 2014 07:43
Thoughts on Dedicated Bus, Cycle, Autorickshaw lanes etc carjinx The Indian Car Scene 21 3rd July 2012 12:30
Satnav Launches GPS Navigation Software navdeep Modifications & Accessories 119 16th November 2010 15:48
MapMyIndia vs SatGuide - Best Dedicated GPS Solution lynx Route / Travel Queries 2 20th February 2009 18:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks