Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 14th January 2012, 13:01   #2401
BHPian

Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Hi guys,

I am a newbie when it comes to GPS and I do not know how to achieve what I am looking for on my iPhone.

I like to "follow" a track on google maps while touring. At home, before leaving and using wifi, I make a route map on Google Maps on my iPhone and after I start off, I want it to show me the route and my current position on that route with the GPS without using GPRS connection. Is that possible? I think I am trying to replicate what the Garmin's and MMI dedicated GPS systems can do on my iPhone.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 12:38   #2402
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Didn't find this in any thread, hence sharing here. Certainly a possibility:

Quote:
GPS - Don't Program Your Home Address

A couple of weeks ago a friend told me that someone she knew had their car broken into while they were at a football game. Their car was parked on the green which was adjacent to the football stadium and specially allotted to football fans. Things stolen from the car included a garage door remote control, some money and a GPS which had been prominently mounted on the dashboard.

When the victims got home, they found that their house had been ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen. The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, and they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish, so they knew how much time they had to clean out the house. It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents.

Something to consider if you have a GPS - don't put your home address in it... Put a nearby address (like a store or gas station) so you can still find your way home if you need to, but no one else would know where you live if your GPS were stolen.
Source: Risk Factors: GPS & Mobile Phone Safety: Avoid Helping Thieves
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 14:06   #2403
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I am wondering whether the new SatGuide maps for Garmin are out. I wrote to them in September 2011 and got this reply,
The latest version of the Garmin is as of May 2011 .We are yet to release the new map .The update of the Garmin maps is possible on old 1 Gb micro Sd card .Only the new Garmin software which are purchased now comes in 2 GB micro SD card
We will definitely call /email you whenever we release the new update

Never got the information. I wrote again last week and it was not even acknowledged. What is the status? My maps are April 2010. I do not mind buying a new MicroSD either.

Last edited by sgiitk : 14th February 2012 at 14:07.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 15:25   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way to download Google maps to phone or SD card so that it will work even without network?
I know Map My India maps are available on memory card but that is a paid service.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 19:05   #2405
BHPian

Post Pre-cache google maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Is there any way to download Google maps to phone or SD card so that it will work even without network?
Yes in a limited way.
'Menu/Settings/Labs/Pre-Cache map area' - check this on.

Now long-press the area you are interested in.
Click the bubble and click 'Pre-cache map area'.
An area of a few kms around that bubble gets stored on the memory-card.

Now you can use in that area without network, however routing and getting extra information on the move requires the network.
Also the area saved is limited to ten numbers.

(This is on an Android).
manim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 22:30   #2406
BHPian

Guys, need help.

If I buy a Garmin unit from USA which has a free lifetime traffic and maps update feature, will it continue receiving updates after I come back to India? Also please suggest which model number is a good buy, thee are too many options available.
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 09:51   #2407
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got a reply for SatGuide. The latest they have is May 2011, but are promising February 2011 real soon.

@cyclops; Check whether you will get the lifetime maps for India as well.
Old 15th February 2012, 21:30   #2408
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Satguide used to be extremely prompt in following up leads/ returning calls. Not any longer. And their site does not work properly.

Do checkout Garmin's meaning of lifetime.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 23:21   #2409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Guys, need help.

If I buy a Garmin unit from USA which has a free lifetime traffic and maps update feature, will it continue receiving updates after I come back to India? Also please suggest which model number is a good buy, thee are too many options available.

Lifetime maps are for the country and region of purchase. If you buy it in the US then you get free map updates for USA and possibly Canada and Puerto Rico. Hence I would recommend buying the PND here. Which model depends on your budget.

You cannot go wrong with a Garmin. MMI PND hardware sucks big time. They look like cheapo Chinese made models..which they are and I have heard complaints from users including some of my friends on satellite lock times and signal issues. That said, MMI maps are the best IMHO.

Cheers!
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 09:43   #2410
BHPian

I recently bought mapmyindia india maps on a SD memory card to use on my Garmin device. The card works fine. But when I copy the data on another card and insert that card, I get a message 'maps locked'.
Any suggestions/cpmments?!
I want to keep another copy as the cards do get corrupted sometime.
Thanks
rkap01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 09:52   #2411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
I recently bought mapmyindia india maps on a SD memory card to use on my Garmin device. The card works fine. But when I copy the data on another card and insert that card, I get a message 'maps locked'.
Thanks
The maps are locked to the card so this is normal. I do keep a copy on my PC. Hopefully, will never need it, or at least the card will survive a disaster.
Old 16th February 2012, 22:54   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Which version did you get? 5.0 or 6.0 and do the maps have house number navigation for cities such as Chandigarh, Delhi etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
Thanks
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 09:03   #2413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The maps are locked to the card so this is normal. I do keep a copy on my PC. Hopefully, will never need it, or at least the card will survive a disaster.

True. But when you will have to use this backup date, you will need to copy it on a SD card! Then it would not work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Which version did you get? 5.0 or 6.0 and do the maps have house number navigation for cities such as Chandigarh, Delhi etc.
6.0 and updated to 6.1

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th February 2012 at 09:19.
rkap01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 15:41   #2414
BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering whether the new SatGuide maps for Garmin are out. I wrote to them in September 2011 and got this reply,
The latest version of the Garmin is as of May 2011 .We are yet to release the new map .The update of the Garmin maps is possible on old 1 Gb micro Sd card .Only the new Garmin software which are purchased now comes in 2 GB micro SD card

Never got the information. I wrote again last week and it was not even acknowledged. What is the status? My maps are April 2010. I do not mind buying a new MicroSD either.

My friend recently bought a SatGuide, just to check few functionalities I had called SatGuide and they had informed me that a new version of map update is going to be out soon. Not sure if I am correct but she either said that update was out in Jan or it is going to be out in Feb end.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 21:42   #2415
Senior - BHPian

I too use Satnavmaps for my Garmin Nuvi 200 and I also wrote to them asking for an upgrade. This is the reply that I got:

-----------------------------------
SatGuide_Sales & Support <satguide@satnavtech.com>
Date:Feb 15, 2012 10:50 AM
To:'B C GURUDUTT'
Cc:satguide@satnavtech.com

Dear Mr.Gurudatt,

Thank you for writing to SatGuide

We are releasing the new version of the map in this February end. We will definitely update you on this once done

We once again thank you for your utmost cooperation and patience.

Regards,
Krishna

Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:54 PM
To: satguide@satnavtech.com
Subject: Re: One Map upgrade

Was checking if any upgrade has been released?

Thanks,
Gurudutt
---------------------------------

Quote:

Quote:
Just got a reply for SatGuide. The latest they have is May 2011, but are promising February 2011 real soon.

@cyclops; Check whether you will get the lifetime maps for India as well.

I also want to know if GoogleMaps can be downloaded & used with the Garmin Nuvi? If yes, then what's the procedure?

Last edited by gd1418 : 21st February 2012 at 21:45.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote