Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 23rd January 2013, 20:10   #2896
BHPian

Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Iam using Sygic 11.2.6 with MMI maps on my android device. Is there anything significantly better in sygic v12.1.3 or above, that i should upgrade to? Or can i stay back at 11.2.6 without missing anything?
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 10:34   #2897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Iam using Sygic 11.2.6 with MMI maps on my android device. Is there anything significantly better in sygic v12.1.3 or above, that i should upgrade to? Or can i stay back at 11.2.6 without missing anything?
Mine is 12.2.1.

One new feature is that it gives multiple routes at the top of the screen to select.

But I did not find any difference for basic navigation.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 08:55   #2898
BHPian

Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I use a Garmin Nuvi that I bought while in South Africa. I updated the maps to India maps (from Garmin) about two years back. I can say that for Bangalore, the maps suck. I am always guided through the busiest of roads - meat market, shivaji nagar and some important roads are missing. I now see that Garmin has updated the maps and also read the some on these forums use maps from Map my India.

Questions:

(1) Should I upgrade to the new maps from Garmin or use MMI maps on my Garmin unit?
(2) The software on Garmin can also be changed to the one from MMI. Personally, I am used to the interface on Garmin and do not really want to change for the heck of it unless there is a compelling reason.
(3) How much do the maps cost and how easy is it to put on a Garmin unit?

Thanks a ton in advance. Good day!
areddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 17:13   #2899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Sygic is a lot stable in 12.x than it used to be in 11.x.

Perhaps that is a good enough reason.

Is anyone discussing this on Team-BHP?
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/18382204.cms
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 22:54   #2900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sygic is a lot stable in 12.x than it used to be in 11.x.
It still has issues on Def+. I don't know if it still freezes on getting calls while navigating, but just pressing the home button males the phone unusable.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 22:59   #2901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It still has issues on Def+. I don't know if it still freezes on getting calls while navigating, but just pressing the home button males the phone unusable.
I have the same issue with my Defy+. One solution which worked for me was uninstall, clean up the Sygic folder from my SD Card and then reinstall everything and download the maps. It worked well for few weeks, and again the same issue started coming back.
rknair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 08:52   #2902
Team-BHP Support

Google Mapathon 2013. Google invites India to improve their maps. Nice way to get lots of info/data.

https://www.google.com/mapmaker/mapathon/india2013/
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 12:14   #2903
BHPian

You have mapmyindia maps for Garmin Units. Basically format is same. It should cost approx 7k I guess. just put that sd card in and you are good to use it

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
I use a Garmin Nuvi that I bought while in South Africa. I updated the maps to India maps (from Garmin) about two years back. I can say that for Bangalore, the maps suck. I am always guided through the busiest of roads - meat market, shivaji nagar and some important roads are missing. I now see that Garmin has updated the maps and also read the some on these forums use maps from Map my India.

Questions:

(1) Should I upgrade to the new maps from Garmin or use MMI maps on my Garmin unit?
(2) The software on Garmin can also be changed to the one from MMI. Personally, I am used to the interface on Garmin and do not really want to change for the heck of it unless there is a compelling reason.
(3) How much do the maps cost and how easy is it to put on a Garmin unit?

Thanks a ton in advance. Good day!
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 18:56   #2904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
...(2) The software on Garmin can also be changed to the one from MMI. Personally, I am used to the interface on Garmin and do not really want to change for the heck of it unless there is a compelling reason ...
No, one can't change the software / UI in a Garmin unit. Only maps can be changed, as long as they are in Garmin format.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 20:59   #2905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
You have mapmyindia maps for Garmin Units. Basically format is same. It should cost approx 7k I guess. just put that sd card in and you are good to use it
Thanks! 7K for maps is really expensive. Garmin probably costs about 3K. Is it really worth it?

also is it true that the whole unit of MMI costs about 10k or even less? http://www.fabmart.com/collections/gps

So why 7K for just the maps?
areddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 18:34   #2906
Senior - BHPian

Just came across an offer for Garmin Nuvi 215 with MMI 7.1 maps preloaded.
Price: Rs. 7500.

I think it is a good deal, considering maps are included.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/garm...nner_Car%20GPS

Have fun navigating.
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:30   #2907
Distinguished - BHPian

@S_U_N; Obviously a non-India version of Nüvi so it is a one time map?!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 14:43   #2908
BHPian

I have a Garmin Nuvi 215 PND and I downloaded the new India map (1240_Type1593264.exe) from the link mentioned in this thread. But it doesn't load into my Garmin saying the map is unlocked.
Ampere Jee said that he was successful in installing the map in his 215. What do I need to install the new map ?

I would be grateful for any insight.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 12:13   #2909
BHPian

If you want to use a map on any garmin unit, it must have the file format gmapsupp.img

I dont know the file you have mentionend, but normally img files are zip files when decompressed, it gives you a .img file.

The decompresses .img file can be locked or unlocked.

If it is locked, you have to unlock it using Garmin Unlocker utilities.

The latest garmin maps from City nav or Mapmyindia, are roughly 320 MB when decompressed.

Google for Garmin Mapmyindia maps or City nav India 2012.4 maps. You would find some luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I have a Garmin Nuvi 215 PND and I downloaded the new India map (1240_Type1593264.exe) from the link mentioned in this thread. But it doesn't load into my Garmin saying the map is unlocked.
Ampere Jee said that he was successful in installing the map in his 215. What do I need to install the new map ?

I would be grateful for any insight.
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 14:10   #2910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@S_U_N; Obviously a non-India version of Nüvi so it is a one time map?!
Possibly.
I never thought why they are giving MMI maps on the Garmin device in this offer.

Perhaps we need to factor in additional expense of Rs. 1750 for 2 year update plan from MMI in that case.