Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th December 2009, 16:27   #361
Senior - BHPian

Nairsab, by the time you get a replacement of the device, you will be familiar with all the major routes, so try for a refund than anything else. We can spend that money on a decent ICE.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 16:37   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Nairsab, by the time you get a replacement of the device, you will be familiar with all the major routes, so try for a refund than anything else. We can spend that money on a decent ICE.
+
Yes, I know - even refund also will take time.
Prior to that they may try to repair it. MMI willing to replace the LCD screen for which the expense will be around Rs.3500/-. So, I think they will try for this repair instead of refunding. Refund will be more easy if the parcel not recieved within the time limit or not recieved at all. Here the acknowledgement slip of speed post signed by me is already with the seller. So straightaway refund may not be that easy and quick?.
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 21:39   #363
BHPian

Official Garmin India Map for download at 99.99 USD. I think it is a Navteq map. Refer my post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1637043-post71.html

In comparison, MMI map at INR 7K looks way too much.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 22:34   #364
Senior - BHPian

These Maps are from Navteq.

It covers smaller number of cities, but accuracy is FAR batter than Mapmyindia or Satguide.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 01:07   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at the online map at NAVTEQ Maps and Traffic, the coverage seems spectacularly unimpressive. Chennai coverage stops at a line drawn through Tambaram. Not even the East Coast Road is shown. Whilst it hardly needs GPS to find it, I can imagine a visitor to the area not being very impressed by getting no help driving to Mahabs!

In this highly confusing market, where I am nowhere near making a decision, at least I've now eliminated one company from my list! Apart from the size of the screen, It looks like I might just as well stick to my Nokia phone, with its free maps, than end up with this Navteq stuff.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 01:45   #366
Senior - BHPian

Nokia is owner of Naqteq. In next few days, Nokia maps is going to be updated to latest version of Navteq Maps.

So, if you have a Nokia phone, no need to buy maps frm Navteq.
Old 17th December 2009, 12:05   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

My Nokia phone gets me unlost, when I've taken a few wrong turnings and lost sense of direction, in Chennai --- but it is a case of putting on the reading glasses and squinting at it!

My wish is for something with as big a screen as possible that I can see while driving.

I say "wish", desire would be a better word: GPS has been on the Want-one list for years, but not quite on the buy-one-now list.
Old 17th December 2009, 12:24   #368
Senior - BHPian

Yes, turn by turn directions is a paid feature in Nokia. With that, I don't need to look at screen most of times.

With newer phones, that have 3 inch screens (nokia 5800) this problem has reduced to some extent.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:29   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes, turn by turn directions is a paid feature in Nokia. With that, I don't need to look at screen most of times.

With newer phones, that have 3 inch screens (nokia 5800) this problem has reduced to some extent.
I was using HTC touch with MMI before, and its visibility was as good as any GPS devices if not better.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 16:02   #370
Senior - BHPian

what was the screen size of that phone?
Old 17th December 2009, 16:23   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

The screen is clear on my N-82, just not big enough.

Anyone who needs reading glasses cannot see the screen at a glance. Even with digital cameras, I use one with viewfinder, as I find that much more comfortable than the LCD display. I think that my GPS, if and when, will have to be four inches or more.
Old 17th December 2009, 17:17   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I was using HTC touch with MMI before, and its visibility was as good as any GPS devices if not better.
Same here used MMI, Garmin etc on a HTC HD and a HTC Diamond without any problems.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 18:27   #373
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
what was the screen size of that phone?
Mine is a HTC P3400i. The screen size is 3 inhes diagonal.

Name:  sshot002.bmp
Views: 506
Size:  225.1 KB

This is a screen shot.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 00:10   #374
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

To day I could find the Navigation in my E75 with BSNL 3 G connection. Yes I understand that it consumes much battery. Another big question is Do the service provoder (I meanwhether BSNL )will bill for GPS? Can anyone clarify me this. If they bill I want to give up. Any locking facility for GPS.,
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 08:47   #375
Senior - BHPian

There is no bill from BSNL, unless you are using Google maps that needs to stay online for navigation.

Packages like Nokia Maps, Garmin, Satguide, MapmyIndia do not require online connectivity. You might be charged up to 1 rupee while starting the GPS since that uses online connectivity (if available) to speed up initial fix.