Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 04:19   #511
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 34
Thanked: Once
Default Will TomTom work?

Folks, I am moving to Bangalore from London and have a Tom Tom XL. I am planning to sell it here unless you guys suggest that I can load MMI maps and make it work in India too. Please let me know.
manupriyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 05:01   #512
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,060
Thanked: 288 Times
Default

Guys, I bought a Garmin 265T last week from Amazon for $126. Its really VFM for that price, considering that it has bluetooth.

Just an opinion on the trend of GPS buying here, it would be better that you buy the 3.5 inch once since, it uncovers more of the glass area. I'm kinda used to my friend's 205.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 08:11   #513
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Guys, I bought a Garmin 265T last week from Amazon for $126. Its really VFM for that price, considering that it has bluetooth.

Just an opinion on the trend of GPS buying here, it would be better that you buy the 3.5 inch once since, it uncovers more of the glass area. I'm kinda used to my friend's 205.
I did not understand your comment (highlighted). I have the 205W which is also real VFM. PLUS its price dipped to 90$ in Amazon in Dec end, when some of friends got it.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 08:59   #514
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thanks Jassi, just saw 265W. That one coming to be about 11K and seems to have excellent reviews......
Gift price for 265W is INR 10811 which seems pretty good as well.

What do u say ? 260 or 265?

265 comes with bluetooth, which is missing in the 260.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
....
Based on the reviews, I like the 265W.
There is the 285WT also which seems to have the exact same features as 265W and is cheaper on the same site.

Now, on Gramins website, 285WT is listed as discontinued..


Garmin nüvi 285W/285WT 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic < GPS & Navigation < Car Electronics < Electronics : Electronics - Shop in the US from India @ 20North

Can anyone here confirm about this 285WT model as being same/ok in terms of capabilities (from an Indian perspective)? Looking at discussions here, even I am tempted to buy one

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th February 2010 at 09:02.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 09:23   #515
Sha
BHPian
 
Sha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canberra
Posts: 539
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Can anyone here confirm about this 285WT model as being same/ok in terms of capabilities (from an Indian perspective)? Looking at discussions here, even I am tempted to buy one
Garmin Nuvi 760 is also good. I use in australia its good but with aussie map.
There are specific GPS device for offroading also but too costly I have seen those device.
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 10:50   #516
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 1,023
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

How about the newly launched ZX150 of mmi, it is 5" inch model with fm transmitter and video play as well, whats say technos
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 12:22   #517
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 1,023
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

But amazon do not operate in india, i tried purchasing but they denied.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 12:40   #518
BHPian
 
viper_711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

I had ordered a Garmin 265WT from the US last month and just got my MMI SD card today. I will start using the device from tomorrow and will update about my user experience periodically.
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 12:48   #519
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
I had ordered a Garmin 265WT from the US last month and just got my MMI SD card today. I will start using the device from tomorrow and will update about my user experience periodically.

Friend, how much did you pay for the MMI SD card ?
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 16:50   #520
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
How do you rate the 265W in comparison to 260? Worth the 2K difference?
What do u say ? 260 or 265?
Yes 265WT is worth extra cost. It has two important features.
  1. Predictive calculations for satellite location (Ephemeris data). Basically it would be faster in locating current position.
  2. Bluetooth
You can not select "Gift" option if cost is more than 10000. Gist are free from Customs duty only if value is less than 6000.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 16:52   #521
BHPian
 
genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 764
Thanked: 288 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
There is the 285WT also which seems to have the exact same features as 265W and is cheaper on the same site.

Now, on Gramins website, 285WT is listed as discontinued..

Can anyone here confirm about this 285WT model as being same/ok in terms of capabilities (from an Indian perspective)? Looking at discussions here, even I am tempted to buy one
Here is some clarification on terms.
The W at the end of Garmin models means that it is a WideScreen version of 4.3 inches...which is a newer one from the old 3.5 inches. So you are fine.

The T means it has traffic functionality, which is valid only in SOME areas of the US, where it warns you of heavy traffic by picking up some radio. Absolutely not needed and will not work in India.

Other than that there is the bluetooth functionality which you can use for hands free communication if that rocks your boat.

So the 285WT is more than enough for needs in India.

Hope that helps!
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 16:55   #522
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
There is the 285WT also which seems to have the exact same features as 265W and is cheaper on the same site.

Looking at discussions here, even I am tempted to buy one
Lol , Khan bhai I dont think I will ever be able to buy one at this rate. I planned for a 260, Jassi recommended the 265 which is better and now you bring up the 285 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes 265WT is worth extra cost. It has two important features.
  1. Predictive calculations for satellite location (Ephemeris data). Basically it would be faster in locating current position.
  2. Bluetooth
You can not select "Gift" option if cost is more than 10000. Gist are free from Customs duty only if value is less than 6000.

@Netfreak -- thanks for the clarification bro. So the gift thing is useless for me then.
Anyways, I guess I will be deferring my decision to June as someone is coming from the US for a few days. Will get the device delivered to them and ask them to get it for me.

Last edited by sammyboy : 7th February 2010 at 16:57.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 17:03   #523
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

^^^ That is the most painless way of getting it.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 17:24   #524
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Lol , Khan bhai I dont think I will ever be able to buy one at this rate. I planned for a 260, Jassi recommended the 265 which is better and now you bring up the 285 .
afaik 265wt is the latest - as mentioned above you don't need the T functionality - so just get the 265w. 285wt seems to be an older model which is now end of sale. Anything else is a waste as you won't be needing the add-on services https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

All this can change by June :-D
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 23:46   #525
BHPian
 
viper_711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Friend, how much did you pay for the MMI SD card ?
7K as per their website pricing. Delivery was prompt - I received in 2 days!
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sygic Maps Vs MMI maps, what's the difference? rkbharat Gadgets, Computers & Software 38 1st July 2014 07:43
Thoughts on Dedicated Bus, Cycle, Autorickshaw lanes etc carjinx The Indian Car Scene 21 3rd July 2012 12:30
Satnav Launches GPS Navigation Software navdeep Modifications & Accessories 119 16th November 2010 15:48
MapMyIndia vs SatGuide - Best Dedicated GPS Solution lynx Route / Travel Queries 2 20th February 2009 18:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:38.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks