Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 10th May 2010, 23:20   #856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks for the feedback Atul. How accurate is the positioning of the device? Also, given that it is an old model, how good is the refresh rate?
Refresh rate is pretty good. If you "disobey" the GPS and take a wrong turn it checks your new orientation and recalculates the route after your wrong turn and tells you within a few seconds.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 23:43   #857
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulmuley View Post
Another thing I would like to mention:

When the courier was delivered I was asked to shell out for octroi of Rs: 495/-.

On contacting MMI and telling then that this was not mentioned as an expense to be borne by the customer, I was assured that they would refund this amount if I courier them the octroi charges receipt. I have yet to do that.

Did any of you have to pay for the octroi?
Maharashtra is one state where most cities, one needs to pay octroi unless it's clearly declared as a gift. It's good that MMI is refunding the octroi you've paid.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 11:13   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Refresh rate is pretty good. If you "disobey" the GPS and take a wrong turn it checks your new orientation and recalculates the route after your wrong turn and tells you within a few seconds.
Sounds good. How about the positioning? I have heard some instances where some MMI navigators show your location on a 'nearby' street/road most of the time.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 12:46   #859

Quote:
Sounds good. How about the positioning? I have heard some instances where some MMI navigators show your location on a 'nearby' street/road most of the time.
cool_dude,

This does happen when waiting under tree cover. This is because the device does not get clear view of the GPS satellites. I was told this during the demo I had taken from MMI before buying the device.

Its perfect when traveling.

-Atul.
atulmuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 20:43   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes they do and its to do with poor mapping. I used GPSed to record waypoints as well as running MMI (Mireo). Several times the location shown was not on the actual road etc. When I uploaded the waypoints and viewed them in google maps the actual points were on the road. This proved the mapping was poor as opposed to there being a lack of signal etc.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 00:03   #861
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes it gets confused between the main road and the service lane, or whether you're on the flyover or on the slip road going parallel just below it. These are minor issues. Also don't expect to have every U-turn mapped on it. Many a times, it makes you take 3 rights and a left because a certain free U-turn is not marked. These are traffic dependant issues.

Also, I have learnt that if you take the "shortest" route option, it can take you to narrow congested roads, so I stick to "fastest" and "optimal".

I have mapped my drives on Google Earth and sometimes it shows you on the divider when you were on the right most lane, but these minor variations apart it even pinpoints where you did those lane changing manoeuvres quite accurately.

Remember, I have been using the GPS on the roads which I know like the back of my hand, so I have been thoroughly testing it. Where it has helped is that it has helped me choose between three different routes on the basis of distance / average speed / time taken / variation in speed which I have been able to decipher from the graphs of the GPS logs. A bit of savings every day adds up a lot to my fuel savings and car-life.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 00:52   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Yes they do and its to do with poor mapping
Which means that I'd face this issue even if I run MMI maps on a Garmin device, right?
Old 12th May 2010, 09:44   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which means that I'd face this issue even if I run MMI maps on a Garmin device, right?
I use MMI with garmin on my nokia N82. The mapping is really rreally poor. it often shows my house in nearby street though the POI is in large number . It is because of this now i have switched over to satnav which was way better and also acurate.

Only problem with satnav was street names .street names are not present on all roads in india in satnav.

So if you use garmin i sincerely suggest you to use satnav. It is way better

Last edited by geeash : 12th May 2010 at 09:46.
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 11:14   #864
Senior - BHPian

With reference to the issues posted here on the GPS showing the car on side roads / medians etc, I have been facing the same issue. Several times, I suddenly find that the red arrow (which indicates my car on the map), in a completely different location, say off the road I am supposed to be on, but after a few seconds or maybe a minute, it comes back on track.

For instance, once I was travelling on a road which had a lake next to it, all of a sudden, not sure, but probably I went under an overpass, but it showed that I was driving over the lake. It always gets rectified quickly though. Is this normal, or do I need to get it checked

Also, at times, the voice tells me to take a left, when clearly the map shows take a right. What could be the cause here?

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 12th May 2010 at 11:15. Reason: some issue with font
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 11:23   #865
Senior - BHPian

Guys who have used Satnav sd card, does it come loaded with application softwares too like destinator etc or it just comes with Maps? Please educate.
wanderernomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 12:43   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I use MMI with garmin on my nokia N82...
... So if you use garmin i sincerely suggest you to use satnav. It is way better
Not sure what you mean by Garmin on Nokia! Are you saying that your Nokia is running Garmin s/w? In either case, I do not intend to use MMI on my Garmin 'device' since their maps are way to expensive compared to SatNav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
With reference to the issues posted here on the GPS showing the car on side roads / medians etc, I have been facing the same issue.
Which device/map combo are you using?
Old 12th May 2010, 13:29   #867
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guys who have used Satnav sd card, does it come loaded with application softwares too like destinator etc or it just comes with Maps? Please educate.
The SD Card just comes with the map. If you purchase, Garmin compatible map, you will get a binary file which contains the map and an unlock code.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 13:59   #868
evo
BHPian

Oh MMI, please dont mess the courier up for the third time !
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 14:40   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The SD Card just comes with the map. If you purchase, Garmin compatible map, you will get a binary file which contains the map and an unlock code.
If thats so then what programme does it use to read that file? I mean if I put in that SD card then the moment I switch on the device it will automatically read the file on sd card and not the preloaded maps that it came with?

Presently I have a mio digiwalker c230, that reads the US maps when I switch it on. I need to pull out and then insert the sd card for it to read. Thereafter it shows me the list of installed programmes and after I click on destinator7 that the actual india maps are read and shown. If i purchase the sd card from satnav then what happens, since the destinator is loaded on this sd card, from where do I start to use the maps?
wanderernomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 14:56   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How does the unlock code work? Asking bcos I received my SD card last week (and there was no additional documentation with it) and I should be getting my Garmin this weekend.
Do I need to get the unlock code from Satnav?
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote