Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 1st August 2010, 15:34   #1141
Distinguished - BHPian

@Thad: Agreed 100%. Must retain your sang froid when looking at a GPS.

We must realise that nobody (except maybe God Almighty!) can predict water-logging in Mera Bharat Mahan. In Mumbai I have seen Bhulabhai Desai Road knee deep around Breach Candy.

I guess in the west these maps at least mark out the Fjords!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:35   #1142
Team-BHP Support

Check out the new version of online MMI maps:

Mapmyindia :: Beta

Very fast compared to their previous one. Zoom features are like standard google maps.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 03:31   #1143
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh massive fail! --- on my standard Alleppey test.

They have lost the excellent backwater detail present on the current version.

Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 12:55   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I guess the latest one for Satguide is 728 towns.
I purchased satguide a week back, they said they have covered 738 cities.
somu_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 13:16   #1145
BHPian

Thumbs up MMi has more than 800 cities covered

Today i received an SMS that claims MMI has covered more than 803 cities in their latest update, sounds good
somu_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 14:09   #1146
Senior - BHPian

I request both of these companies at-least give us a proper update of existing 1 city which is already in the map instead of bluffing the customers.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 16:35   #1147
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the MMI Roadpilot .Overall a superb buy for people like me who are bad at roads in the city.The maps have been accurate inside the city ,though there have been instances where i was led into areas where there were no roads at all :O
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 21:42   #1148
Senior - BHPian

One good thing is, map prices have become more realistic now. MapmyIndia now charges 2.4 k for Maps + navigation software for mobiles (Sygic).

OTOH, they still charge 7k just for maps (Garmin). This is ridiculous. Maps for US cost way less (3.5k).

I picked up couple of Garmin units to take back to India for gift, and am looking for maps. Satguide get my business again. Garmin maps from satguide cost 1k as compared to 7k from MapmyIndia.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 20:36   #1149
BHPian

Default Need help - Custom Maps

Folks, Need help with Custom maps.
I created custom maps on Google Maps. Then converted the kml file into gpx (using kml2gpx and also GPSBabel) but when I open the converted .gpx map in mapsource,it doesnt throw any error but I dont see anything. Tried this a couple of times with diff maps but same result.

Was wondering what I am doing wrong here.

Kindly advise.

Last edited by f1fan : 10th August 2010 at 20:41.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 00:45   #1150
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Aha. see. I told you that it stopped working for me before I mailed you the kml2gpx convertor to you. I've not yet sat on my net book to find out what the issue is.

This is what worked for me. Brief steps below. Will work this out over the weekend and make a long pending tutorial.
1. Route using google maps.
2. Save as kml
3. convert to gpx using the convertors
4. Open using mapsource
5. Mark the way points to show deviations from routes that exist in mapsource.
6. Export that from mapsource to Garmin device
7. Search for route to destination using garmin and use the way points as via points. Ensure that you choose the off roading option in tools.
Since the roads don't exist in satguide maps, garmin will show them as offroading and they need proper way points to be marked.
The only succesful time I did this was on my trip to Morachi chincholi. I had to re-install mapsource after recklessly moving the files from one directory to another at around 4 am in a delirious state. After that I'm yet to try this. But I do notice that my kml2gpx convertor doesn't show the track when opened with google earth.

BTW when are you planning to drive to Morachi?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 12:47   #1151
BHPian

MS: Find my replies inline:

Quote:
Aha. see. I told you that it stopped working for me before I mailed you the kml2gpx convertor to you. I've not yet sat on my net book to find out what the issue is.

This is what worked for me. Brief steps below. Will work this out over the weekend and make a long pending tutorial.
1. Route using google maps. - Done.
2. Save as kml - Done.
3. convert to gpx using the convertors - Done. Twice, once using kml2gpx and second time using GPSBabel. Both software convert the map without throwing any error.
4. Open using mapsource - This is where things go for a toss. When I open the .gpx file in Mapsource, Mapsource doesnt throw any error but I cannot see anything in there. No route. Nothing . Never reached the below steps.

5. Mark the way points to show deviations from routes that exist in mapsource.
6. Export that from mapsource to Garmin device
7. Search for route to destination using garmin and use the way points as via points. Ensure that you choose the off roading option in tools.
Since the roads don't exist in satguide maps, garmin will show them as offroading and they need proper way points to be marked.
The only succesful time I did this was on my trip to Morachi chincholi. I had to re-install mapsource after recklessly moving the files from one directory to another at around 4 am in a delirious state. After that I'm yet to try this. But I do notice that my kml2gpx convertor doesn't show the track when opened with google earth.

BTW when are you planning to drive to Morachi? - Hopefully during one weekend in this month
If possible, do email me your Morachi .kml file so that I can try creating the necessary .gpx file from my side and see whether I see the same results. This will help me in isolating the issue to some extent.

Last edited by f1fan : 11th August 2010 at 12:55.
Old 11th August 2010, 14:38   #1152
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Step 4 is where it's failing for me. I think that google map / earth has done something at their end due to which the kml that we save doesn't get the track info which can be coverted using these convertors.
So I'm twiddling my thumb too.
I shall search out for the morachi chincholi gpx file I created before my trip and mail you.
Here's another trick you can try.
Search for the map route in google. Clearly mark every turn and get the co-ordinates of those turns (like from nagar road to the local road that leads to malthan junction would be the first co-ordinate), local road to malthan to the place where road splits and goes to morachi (instead of going to malthan) can be second.
Now open mapsource and search for these co-ordinates and mark them as way points
use the drawing tool to create your custom route from place of start to morachi through these way points.
Save as gpx and export to the garmin by following steps 5 onwards.
Hope someone comes with an updated kml2gpx or gpsbabel which will enable to convert like before!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 14:59   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Step 4 is where it's failing for me. I think that google map / earth has done something at their end due to which the kml that we save doesn't get the track info which can be coverted using these convertors.
So I'm twiddling my thumb too.
I shall search out for the morachi chincholi gpx file I created before my trip and mail you.
Here's another trick you can try.
Search for the map route in google. Clearly mark every turn and get the co-ordinates of those turns (like from nagar road to the local road that leads to malthan junction would be the first co-ordinate), local road to malthan to the place where road splits and goes to morachi (instead of going to malthan) can be second.
Now open mapsource and search for these co-ordinates and mark them as way points
use the drawing tool to create your custom route from place of start to morachi through these way points.
Save as gpx and export to the garmin by following steps 5 onwards.
Hope someone comes with an updated kml2gpx or gpsbabel which will enable to convert like before!
Also do send me the kml file too.
I also tried creating a route in Mapsource but that is more tedious/painful and I believe the maps are not that detailed.
Hope we can crack this (I am sure we can) bcos creating maps in Google is a breeze and if we can convert properly, then nothing like it.

P.S. How's ur ankle now?
Old 12th August 2010, 09:35   #1154
BANNED

Guys, Could somebody recommend couple of good GPS devices?

Cheers
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 18:22   #1155
Senior - BHPian

Please guide on where I can look at GPS in Chennai. The main dealer for Satguide seems to have stopped the sales.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote