Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd November 2010, 15:31   #1471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Thanks sir. I will try to buy it from some store in Delhi. I don't use online payment gateways. I hope they do sell these sd cards on their tie up retail outlets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes. There is a post on another channel that they now sell only on MicroSD and do not give you the adapter. These should be about Rs.50, and easily available on the market. For all you know there may even be one sitting in some drawer. Also, there is some talk of picking up some code (a marketing gimmick) and getting a SatNav for Rs.475!
Need to confirm. I remember Satguide folks telling that if one wants to purchase only maps, then, you need to buy online only.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:57   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Does this above coupon code worked for someone at the Satguide website. I tried to purchase map for my Garmin 205 which I used in US. But there seems to be no discount further after adding the above coupon code. The price still shows 990/-. /
Someone, please confirm if these coupons work.
Yes it worked for me. In fact I have bought 2 copies for 475/- each The promotion was for a limited period during Navaratri; in general the price is 990/- only, and most likely available only online. Didn't see just maps in retail shops. Also the distribution medium is microsd only (no SD adapter included).

Quote:
Also, I was thinking if I we could use copy these micro-sd card content to multiple cards and then use on other devices or if there is some lock which prevents it from being copied.
The micro_sd card has an unique id, and the map is encrypted with that. So the unlock key provided with the map is for same card. Hence you need the triplet: microsd card, locked map, unlock key file to be an unique combination to work.
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:28   #1473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Rocky 4.3 inch is a decent display for GPS. And its better buy through Amazon and ask someone to carry it for you. You get the best deal that way.
Good thing about the 3.5 is that you can slip it into your pocket and walk around when exploring new areas by foot.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 16:44   #1474
BHPian

Is there a mapmyindia dealer in the town side of Mumbai where I can find a good rate? Dealers in Mira road and Borivali are quoting a very high price for the mapmyindia device.
womanonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 20:12   #1475
BHPian

I don't know if this qualifies for a "proper" GPS, but i've been using a Nokia 5230 since Jan '10 for all my traveling in and around bangalore and mumbai - works well and you have a pretty decent phone too and one doesn't have to pay additional for maps. The phone costs around 7.3k and comes with a windshield mount as part of the package.
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 21:42   #1476
BHPian

Hey Guys

Does the MMI RoadPilot allow using 3rd party maps? There is a USB port, can we plugin a thumbdrive with maps and read off it? I want to load topographic maps for trekking activities. Or for example, Can I load SatNav maps on MMI device (if an SDCard slot is present)?

Is the ipod/iphone map from cygic/MMI for 3000+ bucks a lifetime update subscription? Or a one time buy? To use with Magellan Premium Car Kit for iPhone I plan to use it with ipod touch - If the gps subunit embedded in the cradle is detachable and pocketable.

I really prefer the MMI for its SIRFStarIV chipset. Is there a comparable product (chipset and pricewise) with sdcard/usb thumbdrive input and handsfree as well?

Thanks for your inputs.

Last edited by Ragul : 7th November 2010 at 21:46.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 23:21   #1477
Senior - BHPian

MMI uses a proprietary map format. You will have to convert topographic maps to that format. You can send a request to MMI customer care to see if it has any import functionality for tracks. E.g. if it can import GPX, you can convert your maps to GPX.

Other option is to buy a Chinese unit and install MMI software (that is sold for cell phones) on it. On the same unit you can use other software that works with maps you have.

I would suggest you look at Garmin units. It has excellent hardware. You can convert maps from most digital formats to Garmin format (.img). MMI/Satguide sell maps in Garmin format as well.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 00:08   #1478
BHPian

Question Load maps onto Garmin Nuvi 1100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Perfectly. I am using it everyday with Satguide.in maps.

(as ampere noted before, let's merge this thread with existing one(s)).
How to load satguide maps onto Garmin Nuvi 1100? Could you please provide me with the steps?

Thanks.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 10:25   #1479
Distinguished - BHPian

Use the SD card slot. Or, connect it to the PC via USB (it will appear as a disk drive) and copy the gmapsupp.map and gmapsupp.unl files to the Garmin directory.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 10:55   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Use the SD card slot. Or, connect it to the PC via USB (it will appear as a disk drive) and copy the gmapsupp.map and gmapsupp.unl files to the Garmin directory.
If the map is obtained in a SD card, most likely the map will be locked with the SD card's ID (which is most likely the case). In that case copying to device's Garmin directory won't work, you have to use the SD card only. Good thing is Satguide is distributing as microSD which fits Nuvi 1xxx directly or to Nuvi 2xx with an adapter. If copying to device's built-in memory would work, it'll open a loophole in the distribution process.
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 22:34   #1481
BHPian

Question Garmin nuvi 1350 with satguide maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I couldn't get the Garmin nuvi 1100 model, so ordered nuvi 1350. Can this also be loaded with satguide maps? Please advice.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 09:55   #1482
Distinguished - BHPian

@JMaruru: The answer is yes. This is what I found on the Garmin site for this model - Enhance your travel experience with optional plug-in microSD™ cards. So now it is micro SD!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 18:37   #1483
BHPian

Finally, i got my Garmin 265W. I had ordered it about 2months back on Amazon and asked my colleague to carry it back. My friend landed in blr last week. And i got the device today.
Will check it out today. Also, Need to load it with SatNav Maps now.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 18:41   #1484
BHPian

Are Garmin devices better than the Windowas based devices that US websites sell?
womanonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:30   #1485

Default Diwali and New Year offer

Yes ! I had also read about the offer. The device helps in playing audio/ video files.

Source: Unique GPS Gift Offer for Diwali and New Year -- Take the Advantage of SatGuide Entertainment & Navigation This Festive Season
geeta is offline   Reply With Quote