Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 00:03   #241
BHPian
 
sudipta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 248
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

@Smartindboy

I am also in the look out for a power backup system for my house. I saw your configuration, and would like to know what will be the wattage and for how long will this provide backup?

My requirement is power backup for around 10 to 12 hours for the following:- ( I may be wrong about the wattage completely)

2 tube lights = 40 x 2 = 80 Watts (guess so)
2 CFL = 25 x 2 = 50 Watts (Max wattage of bulbs I have at home)
2 ceiling fans = 150 x 2 = 300 (not sure)
1 TV = 200 Watts (not sure)
1 Laptop = 100 watts (not sure)
2 Cooler = 200 x 2 = 400 Watts (checked the cooler I have)
sudipta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 09:28   #242
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Update: I went ahead with Su-kam Smiley 1400va.

My electrician separated the connections at the mains so that all high power points like AC points, bathrooms (geyser points), and whole kitchen (except one light), and the refrigerator points are separated from others.

Once the inverter installation is done, I switched on 6 fans, 6 tubelights, 3 cfls (25w), around 10 cfls (5w), lcd tv, the inverter easily took the load.

I had a chance to test the backup time yesterday, when there was a power cut for 3 hours, no issues with 4 fans and lcd tv.
smartindboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 09:30   #243
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
@Smartindboy

I am also in the look out for a power backup system for my house. I saw your configuration, and would like to know what will be the wattage and for how long will this provide backup?

My requirement is power backup for around 10 to 12 hours for the following:- ( I may be wrong about the wattage completely)

2 tube lights = 40 x 2 = 80 Watts (guess so)
2 CFL = 25 x 2 = 50 Watts (Max wattage of bulbs I have at home)
2 ceiling fans = 150 x 2 = 300 (not sure)
1 TV = 200 Watts (not sure)
1 Laptop = 100 watts (not sure)
2 Cooler = 200 x 2 = 400 Watts (checked the cooler I have)
ceiling fans should not be 150W, also I do not think laptop consumes 100w.
su-kam 1400va would take your load, but I don't think that two 150ah batteries can provide backup for 10 hours...
smartindboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 10:39   #244
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,122
Thanked: 995 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
ceiling fans should not be 150W, also I do not think laptop consumes 100w.
su-kam 1400va would take your load, but I don't think that two 150ah batteries can provide backup for 10 hours...
For 1KVA load the batteries required for 10 hours will be

1KVA x 10 hrs = 10KVAH / 24V(2 batteries in series) = 416AH = 3x150AH, so you need 6 x 150AH batteries. The bad part is that they will cost at least 12k each = 70k+, the good part is at 10 hrs discharge the full AH capacity is utilised with no derating.

The tube lights take more than 50W and the ceiling fan about 100W. This is watts and not VA which is normally 1.2 times the watts.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 13:12   #245
BHPian
 
sudipta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 248
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Friends,

Recalibrated my requirement post discussion with my family. 800 VA with 150 AH will be good for my requirement. Now this is what I am quoted by a dealer of Sukam (I posted a request on their website).

Sukam Falcon 800 VA = Rs 5300
Sukam Tubular battery 150 AH = Rs. 10000 (36 month Warranty)
Troley = Rs. 1500
Total = Rs. 16200 (additional discount of 600 on total)

If I go for Exide Tubular (48 months warranty) than the battery cost is Rs. 13300

Let me know how you think about this deal and which battery should I choose.

Thanks,
Sudipta
sudipta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 14:23   #246
BHPian
 
richie4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 586
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Well guys this goes out to all, my suggestion is to go for batteries made by "luminous" company, well the reason is that one of my dad's businesses is that we install solar products like solar powered street lights, solar home lighting etc. Due to this we tested batteries of multiple companies but found out that the luminous batteries gave the best output and lasted longer. Well that is why I suggest put an inverter of any company you like but when you choose a battery try going for luminous if you have an option as we found they are cheaper too.

For the record: I am not a promoter of any company but this is just my suggestion

Last edited by richie4u : 26th March 2011 at 14:24.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 21:29   #247
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,122
Thanked: 995 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Friends,

Recalibrated my requirement post discussion with my family. 800 VA with 150 AH will be good for my requirement. Now this is what I am quoted by a dealer of Sukam (I posted a request on their website).

Sukam Falcon 800 VA = Rs 5300
Sukam Tubular battery 150 AH = Rs. 10000 (36 month Warranty)
Troley = Rs. 1500
Total = Rs. 16200 (additional discount of 600 on total)

If I go for Exide Tubular (48 months warranty) than the battery cost is Rs. 13300

Let me know how you think about this deal and which battery should I choose.

Thanks,
Sudipta
Got the same configuration for 13K two years ago in Delhi. Inflation! Try some bargaining to reduce the prices.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 21:58   #248
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 542
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Where to keep the inverter in an apartment?

I only have 1 balcony in my house which means its used for just about anything. I cant keep the inverter inside due to the battery fumes issue.

What are my options here? Any new technology that does not emit fumes?
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 22:20   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,306
Thanked: 1,729 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Where to keep the inverter in an apartment?

I only have 1 balcony in my house which means its used for just about anything. I cant keep the inverter inside due to the battery fumes issue.

What are my options here? Any new technology that does not emit fumes?
There is no need to keep the unit in the balcony. I am keeping the set in the study room for the past 4 years. Absolutely no problem or issue with fumes.
The room is kept closed till evening and is quite clean and odorless.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 20:20   #250
BHPian
 
scorpio_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Dear All,
My inverter battery is week now so planning to change it. Inverter is APC BI1000I and it works on 24V [2 batteries]. Currently using 100AH and i am planning to upgrade to 120 AH [2 batteries]. First choice that i have is Amaron. I am based in bangalore. Does anyone in bangalore know a good place to buy it at a decent price. I have few quotes with me

100 AH@ 6800
and 120 @ 8400

If you know a good dealer or have purchased a better price let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Scorpio Fan
scorpio_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 16:28   #251
BHPian
 
Chipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum, Thrissur
Posts: 159
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post
Dear All,
My inverter battery is week now so planning to change it. Inverter is APC BI1000I and it works on 24V [2 batteries]. Currently using 100AH and i am planning to upgrade to 120 AH [2 batteries]. First choice that i have is Amaron. I am based in bangalore. Does anyone in bangalore know a good place to buy it at a decent price. I have few quotes with me

100 AH@ 6800
and 120 @ 8400

If you know a good dealer or have purchased a better price let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Scorpio Fan
Which was your previous battery brand, how much years did it last. What made you choose Amaron.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 19:14   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 1,149 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Just got the battery for an APC 1.5 KVA invertor replaced at my in law's place, went in for an Exide semi tubular 135 Ah, it cost me 8000 rs after buyback of old battery.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 20:20   #253
BHPian
 
scorpio_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Which was your previous battery brand, how much years did it last. What made you choose Amaron.
The previous was prestolite and it lasted just 2.5 years. I used to fill water in every 2 months. The previous set was also prestolite and it just lasted for 1.5 years. Luckily the unit was under warrenty and APC replaced it free of cost for me. So i dont trust prestolite anymore. Amaron infact has better life[automotive i have experince]. Exide is also in the list but it is costly than amaron by 1000 rs. You know i need 2 batteries
Regards
scorpio_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 22:55   #254
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 313
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Many Ads in Bangalore Times (Toi) these days with Sukam 850va invertor + Amaron 100ah battery + trolley + wiring (3m free) for Rs. 10,990.

I am planning to check it out for our house.
Is there something amiss here? Any specific questions I should ask about the invertor (full sine? switchover time? does it cause the dsl modem to resync? any other question) and about the battery (not sure what to ask here)?
null is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 07:41   #255
BHPian
 
Chipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum, Thrissur
Posts: 159
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post
The previous was prestolite and it lasted just 2.5 years. I used to fill water in every 2 months. The previous set was also prestolite and it just lasted for 1.5 years. Luckily the unit was under warrenty and APC replaced it free of cost for me. So i dont trust prestolite anymore. Amaron infact has better life[automotive i have experince]. Exide is also in the list but it is costly than amaron by 1000 rs. You know i need 2 batteries
Regards
The problem here is not the brand but the type of battery you are using. You buy semitubular battery and replace every two year or you buy tubular which cost more, but runs for more than 5 years. So, you decide which is cost effective. I suggest yoy get amco or exide ''tubular,'' a 100 ah will cost around 10k,but it has 4 and 5 year warranty and last really long.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inverter or generator? mrhap Gadgets, Computers & Software 733 25th October 2017 18:29
Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc sreeku In-Car Entertainment 163 25th September 2016 23:00
Myth: UPS can't run on inverter? linuxtechie Gadgets, Computers & Software 17 24th October 2008 15:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks