Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 14:06   #481
BHPian
 
John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Secunderabad
Posts: 249
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Wow ! 14 years is 5 life times for modern batteries, that is terrific. How is the back up time now ?
This is a 1200 VA inverter and originally designed for 3 hrs back up. Have not really checked the back up time at full-load recently but it more than meets my present needs, so no complaints!
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 15:33   #482
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Wow ! 14 years is 5 life times for modern batteries, that is terrific. How is the back up time now ?
5 life times?? How? Surely inverter batts don't have such short lives? As I'd mentioned several weeks ago, our Amaron Shield lasted some 6 years. And it wasn't even a tubular.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 16:45   #483
BHPian
 
skumare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 84
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

While doing a regular service (air-blow the inverter and fillup distilled water in the battery), the dealer mentioned he has access to half-used/discarded? "dry" batteries used in mobile cell towers and they are much better than the Exide/Bosch/Amaron ones. Mine is a 150AH Bosch one, used for the last 4yr without any issues. Should I replace the Bosch with a dry battery? Thanks.
skumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 16:01   #484
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

How is Mahindra Powerol inverters and batteries ?

I got a quote of Rs.21,373 for 800VA Sinewave Invereter and 190ah Mahindra battery. Warranty is 2 years for both.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 19:37   #485
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 543
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

I am confused too on what configuration and brand to buy.

My requirement:
Minimum > 2 CFL's + 2 fans + 1 modem + 1 wi-fi router
Maximum > 4 CFL's + 3 fans + 21" CRT TV
+ 1 modem + 1 wi-fi router

Power outage lasts max 2hrs. This happens like 3/4 times a day & night.

Options I enquired about:
APC 850va + APC 120mah + trolley = 15K (labor + wiring extra)
Amaron 875va + Amaron 120mah + trolley + labor = 13K (wiring extra)
Luminous 850va + luminous battery + trolley = 13k (wiring & labor extra)
Not sure about the rest.

Can anyone suggest something here?
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 20:08   #486
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,096
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
I am confused too on what configuration and brand to buy.

My requirement:
Minimum > 2 CFL's + 2 fans + 1 modem + 1 wi-fi router
Maximum > 4 CFL's + 3 fans + 21" CRT TV
+ 1 modem + 1 wi-fi router

Power outage lasts max 2hrs. This happens like 3/4 times a day & night.

Options I enquired about:
APC 850va + APC 120mah + trolley = 15K (labor + wiring extra)
Amaron 875va + Amaron 120mah + trolley + labor = 13K (wiring extra)
Luminous 850va + luminous battery + trolley = 13k (wiring & labor extra)
Not sure about the rest.

Can anyone suggest something here?
If the power outages happen 2-3 times daily, then the batteries will not have enough time to charge, which is ideally a 10-15 hour period.

Your maximum load comes to 4x50+3x100+300+50+50=900 Watts.
Your minimum load comes to 2x50+2x100+50+50=400 Watts.

For Maximum load - given the efficiency of max 80%, this translates to approximately 1100VA for 6 hours you can do with a 1KVA inverter and 1000x6=6000KVAH=500AH, which means 4 batteries of 125AH or two of 250AH capacity.

For Minimum load - given the efficiency of max 80%, this translates to approximately 500VA for 6 hours = 500x6=3000KVAH=250AH, which means 2 batteries of 125AH or one of 250AH capacity.

In your case for an 800VA inverter you should not have more than 300VA load, which will mean a 300x6=1800VAH=150AH battery. So either reduce your load or get a more powerful inverter with two/four batteries.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 20:15   #487
BHPian
 
Chipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum, Thrissur
Posts: 159
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
How is Mahindra Powerol inverters and batteries ?

I got a quote of Rs.21,373 for 800VA Sinewave Invereter and 190ah Mahindra battery. Warranty is 2 years for both.
Price is a bit high, but it depends on the dealers in your area. Check APC, Sukam inverter price too in your area. APS and sukam have 3 year warranty battery. Always buy battery with the highest warranty, peace of mind. I get branded inv and 130 ah battery for about 17 K here

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
I am confused too on what configuration and brand to buy.

My requirement:
Minimum > 2 CFL's + 2 fans + 1 modem + 1 wi-fi router
Maximum > 4 CFL's + 3 fans + 21" CRT TV
+ 1 modem + 1 wi-fi router

Power outage lasts max 2hrs. This happens like 3/4 times a day & night.

Options I enquired about:
APC 850va + APC 120mah + trolley = 15K (labor + wiring extra)
Amaron 875va + Amaron 120mah + trolley + labor = 13K (wiring extra)
Luminous 850va + luminous battery + trolley = 13k (wiring & labor extra)
Not sure about the rest.

Can anyone suggest something here?
All the above configuration is good, but check if the battery you are getting is tubular or not. 850 VA is enough for you, but buy a better battery like 150 ah, if you have frequent powercuts.

Last edited by Chipz : 29th April 2012 at 20:24.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 12:22   #488
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Price is a bit high, but it depends on the dealers in your area. Check APC, Sukam inverter price too in your area. APS and sukam have 3 year warranty battery. Always buy battery with the highest warranty, peace of mind. I get branded inv and 130 ah battery for about 17 K here
Thank you Chipz. I am going to wait a while now since the last 4 days the power situation has improved drastically here, only 1 or 2 hours shutdown.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 13:47   #489
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 543
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Thanks aroy and esteem_lover. Due to price constraint, I have decided to stick to 850va + 120ah battery. I will manage the backup time somehow.
The question is what inverter & battery combo should I go in for.
I think any inverter would be fine, wondering what 120ah battery should I go for amaron / exide / micro (maintainence vs maintainence free)

Plz advice so I can freeze this asap.
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 14:14   #490
BHPian
 
Chipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum, Thrissur
Posts: 159
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Thanks aroy and esteem_lover. Due to price constraint, I have decided to stick to 850va + 120ah battery. I will manage the backup time somehow.
The question is what inverter & battery combo should I go in for.
I think any inverter would be fine, wondering what 120ah battery should I go for amaron / exide / micro (maintainence vs maintainence free)

Plz advice so I can freeze this asap.
Exide tubular, but it will be costly than others, and you wont be able to get it in market.. Try Amco 120 T.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 14:28   #491
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,270
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Thanks aroy and esteem_lover. Due to price constraint, I have decided to stick to 850va + 120ah battery. I will manage the backup time somehow.
The question is what inverter & battery combo should I go in for.
I think any inverter would be fine, wondering what 120ah battery should I go for amaron / exide / micro (maintainence vs maintainence free)

Plz advice so I can freeze this asap.
I have Amco brand for last 5 years or more. No trouble so far and it is catering needs for all kind of power cuts. Now, however we have generator in apartment complex, so inverter is hardly used.

My battery capacity is 180 Ah. Do not worry, all these inverter have quick charger and they charge battery really fast. You can surely manage backup with 120 Ah battery.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 18:28   #492
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 543
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Thanks chipz, anujmishra.

I checked with my neighbour and they are using luminous inverter and luminous battery (2+yrs old setup) and happy with the backup. Called the guy who installed it and he quoted 15k (850va+120ah+trolley+labor-wiring cost).

I think I am going for it.
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 21:11   #493
BHPian
 
Chipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum, Thrissur
Posts: 159
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Thanks chipz, anujmishra.

I checked with my neighbour and they are using luminous inverter and luminous battery (2+yrs old setup) and happy with the backup. Called the guy who installed it and he quoted 15k (850va+120ah+trolley+labor-wiring cost).

I think I am going for it.
How much warranty for the battery. make sure it is a tubular battery.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 21:15   #494
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 543
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
How much warranty for the battery. make sure it is a tubular battery.
2 years each on inverter and battery. Battery is tubular.

Confused on where to keep the hardware. Right next to the entrance or on the open balcony.
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 21:25   #495
BHPian
 
Chipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum, Thrissur
Posts: 159
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Balcony is good, if u can do the wiring. have u considered buying a branded battery with more warranty. 2 year warranty is less for tubular batteries.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inverter or generator? mrhap Gadgets, Computers & Software 728 12th August 2017 02:46
Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc sreeku In-Car Entertainment 163 25th September 2016 23:00
Myth: UPS can't run on inverter? linuxtechie Gadgets, Computers & Software 17 24th October 2008 15:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks