Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2013, 15:57   #616
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
My thoughts exactly!


Anyways, inverters carry 2 years standard warranty.
Both batteries carry 4 years warranty. Installation and configuration would be 300-400 bucks.
Installation in a few hours as we are located pretty close.
Is that dealer offering you a warranty on the SMF battery (in case you decide to persist)? He knows that you are using an inverter and not an online UPS.

In my case, several dealers said, you will not get warranty on the battery. That was enough for me to close the topic.

I have still not made the purchase, my landlord already has an inverter and the battery has gone kaput for several months before we moved in.
BTW: For the old battery return, I have heard that the regular bhangar wala offers more money than the battery fellows.
Battery fellows offer money based on rating (Ah) of the battery and the bhangar walla offers it based on weight of the battery. They then extract stuff like lead and other metals from the battery.
Anyone heard that before?

How do you guys protect the maintenance walla batteries if they are kept outside in the balcony?
Protection is needed against:
1. Rats
2. Sun
3. Water/ Rain
4. Theft

Last edited by S_U_N : 3rd February 2013 at 15:58.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 19:06   #617
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 435
Thanked: 729 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Is that dealer offering you a warranty on the SMF battery (in case you decide to persist)? He knows that you are using an inverter and not an online UPS.

In my case, several dealers said, you will not get warranty on the battery. That was enough for me to close the topic.

How do you guys protect the maintenance walla batteries if they are kept outside in the balcony?
Protection is needed against:
1. Rats
2. Sun
3. Water/ Rain
4. Theft
Well, our apartment is on the ground floor. So everything is inside the house, except the car .

The dealer has mentioned 4 year for whatever type of battery we choose.
Inverters get a standard 2 year warranty.

I'm still not sure about the regular battery, as I'm not too keen on keeping this setup for too long.
Even if we need to change the batteries once every 3 years, I'm okay with that.

I'm gonna go meet up this chappie who deals with Amaron stuff tomorrow.
Will get quotes for an offering similar to that from Su-Kam, and then decide.
Hope to get this thingy closed in a few days.

Thanks again for the response mate!
Cheers!
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 19:10   #618
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Is that dealer offering you a warranty on the SMF battery (in case you decide to persist)?
When I bought an SMF battery 8 years back, I did get a warranty on it. Go to a battery shop, I am pretty sure you will get a warranty on it. These 3-4 years warranties are mostly meaningless if you read the fine print. You get a proper warranty only for the first year. After that, you get a replacement discount on a new battery - and the discount is on the list price - so it's not really attractive because most dealers give good discounts anyway on the list price and if you are using your warranty discount, I am pretty sure you won't get the regular discount.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 20:08   #619
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

If you want a proper warranty you will need to read the terms of conditions.
All SMF batteries usually only have 12 to 18 months of warranty.

Flooded batteries have around 1 to 2 years warranty ,where usually only the 1st year is a proper replacement warranty and the remaining years have a Pro-Rata warranty ,where the company will give a you discount when you purchase a new battery within the warranty period, so its pretty much useless.

Tubular batteries usually have around 3 years to 5 years warranty .Exide EL and EL+ have 4 and 5 years replacement warranty respectively.The Exide Inva Tubular has 3 years replacement warranty.
Amaron also gives 4 years warranty on their Tubular battery but its unclear whether its pro-rata warranty or replacement warranty.

Last edited by aim120 : 3rd February 2013 at 20:10.
aim120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 15:31   #620
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 435
Thanked: 729 Times
Default

Righto fellas, time to make a decision!

Su-kam 800 VA + Su-Kam 180 AH for 20.5k

Or

Su-Kam 800 VA + Exide 150 AH for 21k?

A quick reply will be most appreciated
We would like to get this deal closed at the earliest.

Thanks! Cheers!
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 15:44   #621
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Go Su Su

Get a trolley along (also made by Sukam) and make it Su Su Su

Just saw you are getting a 180 Ah. If it is not due to the stock limitation/availability, get a 150/160 Ah battery & let the savings go towards the trolley. I am assuming that you do not have a trolley or a dedicated place with stand etc to keep the inverter + battery.

Last edited by khoj : 4th February 2013 at 15:47.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 16:10   #622
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 435
Thanked: 729 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Go Su Su

Get a trolley along (also made by Sukam) and make it Su Su Su

Just saw you are getting a 180 Ah. If it is not due to the stock limitation/availability, get a 150/160 Ah battery & let the savings go towards the trolley. I am assuming that you do not have a trolley or a dedicated place with stand etc to keep the inverter + battery.
^^ Whoa! Talk about response time! You are faster than Google's homepage khoj!

Well, I have to ask, why Su-Kam + Su-Kam?
Any specific reason?
Also, is a trolley needed? What happens if we keep the setup on the ground?
Any known issues with that?

I always thought it would be better to get a battery from a known battery maker.
Your thoughts please .
Whatever be the decision, we will be closing this loop by this evening.
No more hanging and waiting.
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 16:52   #623
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Read this 'again'. BTW there are known cures now available for Attention Deficiency Syndrome

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3031671 (Inverter Batteries)

So how well do you or any one of us know Exide?

Sorry, forgot regarding the ADS, look here 'again' there is a link in the post and it tell us a bit about of all things Sukam

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3031755 (Inverter Batteries)

Why does one need a sofa to sit on, a bed to sleep on, a wall / stand to mount the tv, a desk for the pc hope you get the picture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
^^ Whoa! Talk about response time! You are faster than Google's homepage khoj!

Well, I have to ask, why Su-Kam + Su-Kam?
Any specific reason?
Also, is a trolley needed? What happens if we keep the setup on the ground?
Any known issues with that?

I always thought it would be better to get a battery from a known battery maker.
Your thoughts please .
Whatever be the decision, we will be closing this loop by this evening.
No more hanging and waiting.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 18:02   #624
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Earlier you had asked about if the 800VA inverter will take the load. I think it will based on some calculation examples I have found.


Based on your posts, it appears you have gone with tubular batteries (not SMF).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Su-kam 800 VA + Su-Kam 180 AH for 20.5k

Or

Su-Kam 800 VA + Exide 150 AH for 21k?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Well, our apartment is on the ground floor. So everything is inside the house, except the car .

So, are you going to keep them inside the house on the trolley?

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2013 at 11:29. Reason: Removing excessive spacing in the quoted post
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 20:11   #625
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 435
Thanked: 729 Times
Default

Phew! Closed the deal at 20k with a trolley thrown in free
Finally settled for Su-Kam 800 VA & Su-Kam 180 AH with 4 years warranty.

Wired up the master bedroom, spare bedroom, dining and drawing room. Setup took about one hour to complete. Hopefully will get to test the system over the weekend to see how it performs.

Happy with the setup so far. Dealer recommended getting battery levels checked once every 6 months.

Thanks to all who replied
Cheers!
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 20:46   #626
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,751
Thanked: 4,580 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Phew! Closed the deal at 20k with a trolley thrown in free
Finally settled for Su-Kam 800 VA & Su-Kam 180 AH with 4 years warranty.
That's a good deal, Congratulations!
Would it be possible to give an approximate break up of the price for the inverter and the battery ? Will help me check with my local dealer as well (I had Amaron in mind, so now I will have another option to consider). Thanks in advance.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 22:24   #627
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 435
Thanked: 729 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
That's a good deal, Congratulations!
Would it be possible to give an approximate break up of the price for the inverter and the battery ? Will help me check with my local dealer as well (I had Amaron in mind, so now I will have another option to consider). Thanks in advance.
Sure thing mate!

Su-Kam Falcon Home UPS 800 VA - 6k

Su-Kam Tubular Battery 180 AH SBT1800 - 13.5k

Installation Charge & Tip - 500 bucks.

Trolley - Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
So, are you going to keep them inside the house on the trolley?
I guess I am keeping the setup inside the house

Let's see if it makes any difference to the living environment.

Any changes in the atmosphere inside the house, and the wife will be the first to notice.

She is extremely sensitive to fumes, dust, the lot.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th February 2013 at 07:23. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE / QUOTE+ when quoting multiple posts. Thanks!
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 13:46   #628
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

I think this is a good price for the combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Trolley - Free



I guess I am keeping the setup inside the house

Let's see if it makes any difference to the living environment.

Any changes in the atmosphere inside the house, and the wife will be the first to notice.

She is extremely sensitive to fumes, dust, the lot.
If the house is closed for a few days (with no ventilators open), when you come back, you might be greeted with a dead rat's smell.
Don't go looking for it - it is the battery which is smelling. Open the windows and run the fans, hopefully the smell will go away.

Do report back if you ever encounter this.
Enjoy the power-cuts!
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 13:53   #629
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 435
Thanked: 729 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
If the house is closed for a few days (with no ventilators open), when you come back, you might be greeted with a dead rat's smell.
Enjoy the power-cuts!
Whoa!

We usually lock the house, pretty much air tight, every morning before leaving for work.
5 days a week, its pretty much closed up for good.
So I guess the dead rat smell will crop up soon huh?

Yowza! Didn't think would have to deal with this, now that the power cut issues have been addressed.
Hm, maybe will get one of those automatic air freshener type things off eBay soon.

Thanks for the heads up mate!
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 15:12   #630
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

^I am quoting based on my personal experience with Okaya battery.

Probably a newer battery may not smell.

Only time will tell.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inverter or generator? mrhap Gadgets, Computers & Software 733 25th October 2017 18:29
Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc sreeku In-Car Entertainment 163 25th September 2016 23:00
Myth: UPS can't run on inverter? linuxtechie Gadgets, Computers & Software 17 24th October 2008 15:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks