Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 18:53   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 869 Times
Question Advise on buying a PC

Hello everyone!

Hit a road block with my decision on buying a PC and did not know where to go to clear it. Then I thought, where else better than T-Bhp Gadgets section!! So here I am posting my concern

First up, apart from automobiles, I am a movie buff and love watching good movies. Since this DVD-Rip fever started, I am into downloading a lot of movies at home. At times, I have to leave my laptop turned on for 12 hours at a stretch. Very recently, I have started noticing that the laptop tends to get very hot and also the battery back up is dipping day by day.

Currently I own a Compaq laptop which I purchased recently with an AMD 64-X2 processor, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, DVD-Writer with Lightscribe, and its a 14" laptop. This is the one that is getting hotter day by day (or shall i say night by night, since its on for the whole night). It cost me 36000 including VAT.

My requirements are very simple when it comes to computer for home use:

1. Lots of HDD space to store downloaded movies
2. Occassionally to play some old games like NFS-5 Porsche unleashed et al.
3. Should not die if kept switched on at a stretch for about 15-16 hours, 4-6 days a week.
4. Decent speed in terms of processing various tasks.
5. DVD writer is a must since i have to transfer the movies downloaded onto DVD's to watch in a stand-alone DVD player
6. Should not be outrageously priced

(a) Based on the above requirements, requesting the techies of the forum to advise me if its a good idea to sell my laptop and buy a desktop (plz suggest assembled or branded)?

(b) If point (a) is not a good idea, is there any laptop which can stand the kind of operation explained in point 3 of the requirements above?

(c) Is it inherent nature of AMD's to get hot when left on for a long time and will it not affect the system in any way? If it does not affect the system much in terms of performance, then I will stick to my current laptop itself.

Please help !!!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 18:59   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,707
Thanked: 1,060 Times
Default

have you enabled cool and quiet , and set the processor to powersaving mode ?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 19:06   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 869 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
have you enabled cool and quiet , and set the processor to powersaving mode ?
Nope!! Have no idea how to do it. Would be much appreciated greenhorn if you put it down here on how to do it and I will try it out tonight first thing when I get home. Currently its running on the HP recommended configuration for the power settings and other things.

Also i have missed out in my post, I am using the Windows Vista basic edition.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 19:13   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,707
Thanked: 1,060 Times
Default

How to enable AMD Cool'n'Quiet or Intel SpeedStep in Windows Vista | Windows Vista for Beginners
I think it is enabled in vista by default anyway !
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 19:17   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I. Very recently, I have started noticing that the laptop tends to get very hot and also the battery back up is dipping day by day.

Currently I own a Compaq laptop ....
Compaq does not enjoy a good reputation. That said, yes, laptops get hot. Mine is hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch underneath. There is no reason not to prop it up a little to let some air get underneath it and you can alway turn a small fan on it from a meter away or so. Any closer and it may interfere with your video or internal workings.

A Desk top will be much cheaper. You can purchase an external hard drive for backup and for portability. Some good brand names to consider for computers are Dell and Lenovo. These are not cheap. You might also ask around here and at your work place, there are private guys that can build you a great computer but you have to do careful research to find out who they are.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 19:19   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,707
Thanked: 1,060 Times
Default

if you want to get a desktop, get assembled from a reputed dealer. it will be better , cheaper, and have better service too
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 19:25   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 869 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Thanks greenhorn, I will try it tonight and update the thread!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 19:34   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 869 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Compaq does not enjoy a good reputation. That said, yes, laptops get hot. Mine is hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch underneath. There is no reason not to prop it up a little to let some air get underneath it and you can alway turn a small fan on it from a meter away or so. Any closer and it may interfere with your video or internal workings.

A Desk top will be much cheaper. You can purchase an external hard drive for backup and for portability. Some good brand names to consider for computers are Dell and Lenovo. These are not cheap. You might also ask around here and at your work place, there are private guys that can build you a great computer but you have to do careful research to find out who they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if you want to get a desktop, get assembled from a reputed dealer. it will be better , cheaper, and have better service too
This is what i was also thinking. And the external HDD is a very good and convenient option like pointed out by Dan. I guess Desktop is the way to go in terms of the usability i have got. Since I have an office laptop, I wont be lugging around my home one everywhere! So it kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop at home. I will work out some configuration with the help of some of my office people and post it here for advise.

Thanks to both you guys for your help in this regard.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 19:42   #9
BHPian
 
Shakensoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: AS01
Posts: 492
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

I guess you're looking for a kindoff download rig which can also perform as a HTPC , consumes less power, generates less heat and serves your purpose as a normal computer for daily routine work.

Look for a hard drive with atleast 750GB, HDD price are dropping like anything.

For occaisional gaming, onboard video will do. Nowadays motherboard with onboard video are quite capable of handling games at a decent resolution.

You can use the download rig 24x7 without any issues.

Single core CPU are EOL, all CPUs now are dual core which will be fast enought for your purpose.

DVD writers are also dirt cheap now.

If you research well for your config, you'll get a decent machine without spending much.

Keep your laptop as a backup, anyway the price that you'll get for your laptop will not make it worth to sell it.

The AMD heat issue is a myth.

BTW, this forum is best to answer all your queries..

PC Peripherals - TechEnclave
Shakensoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 20:38   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 869 Times
Default

Thanks a lot ShakenSoul... That was a very helpful link that you provided which has helped me zero in on the configuration for the desktop.. Much appreciated mate!!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 21:04   #11
BHPian
 
Shakensoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: AS01
Posts: 492
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Thanks a lot ShakenSoul... That was a very helpful link that you provided which has helped me zero in on the configuration for the desktop.. Much appreciated mate!!!
No problem mate, always happy to help a fellow member in distress cheers:
Shakensoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 21:41   #12
BHPian
 
rsjaurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Batala
Posts: 775
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Apart from greenhorn's suggestion,you can also use RM clock software to lower voltages of AMD dual-core CPU.You would have to find out which works better for your CPU.

Buying a laptop cooler is also good option.

Another interesting way i have found is to sit directly under fan in AC room.I do the same whenever i play games on my laptop and temp difference is quite significant.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by rsjaurr : 4th June 2008 at 21:42.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 18:06   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 869 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Apart from greenhorn's suggestion,you can also use RM clock software to lower voltages of AMD dual-core CPU.You would have to find out which works better for your CPU.

Buying a laptop cooler is also good option.

Another interesting way i have found is to sit directly under fan in AC room.I do the same whenever i play games on my laptop and temp difference is quite significant.
Thanks Rsj, i cant try the option of placing the laptop under the fan, coz it has to be placed on the bed where i sleep if i have to do that. And the amount of heat that is generated scares me as to if the bed spread will catch fire.. So i am staying away from that idea.. Better safe than sorry..

I have now zeroed in on a desktop config and keep my laptop as a back up. Will post the config here and get the advise of the people on board here to verify if its a good deal or not...

Thanks for your suggestions anyway!! And also could you please let me know what a laptop cooler is..? Have not heard of one
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 18:23   #14
JPL
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: XXXXX
Posts: 241
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Thanks Rsj, i cant try the option of placing the laptop under the fan, coz it has to be placed on the bed where i sleep if i have to do that. And the amount of heat that is generated scares me as to if the bed spread will catch fire.. So i am staying away from that idea.. Better safe than sorry..

I have now zeroed in on a desktop config and keep my laptop as a back up. Will post the config here and get the advise of the people on board here to verify if its a good deal or not...

Thanks for your suggestions anyway!! And also could you please let me know what a laptop cooler is..? Have not heard of one
more info on Laptop Cooler here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post824922 (Over Heating Notebook. Presario v6604au.)

Check my post there.

BTW whats you budget for the download rig? will try to come up with a config !
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 18:28   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,458
Thanked: 869 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
more info on Laptop Cooler here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post824922 (Over Heating Notebook. Presario v6604au.)

Check my post there.

BTW whats you budget for the download rig? will try to come up with a config !
Thanks a lot mate.. I will go thru the thread & decide if i need to buy one. I am planning to invest 25-28k for the download rig! Any ideas are most welcome!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a 1998 Honda City Advise Needed madhokritesh Sedans 6 25th August 2008 12:56
buying advise : GSXR 600 OR & 750 gt_mustang Superbikes & Imports 33 16th April 2008 01:26
advise needed on buying a car nutmello Sedans 18 5th August 2007 14:24
Advise needed on buying Tata Safari kdeepakk SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 52 13th July 2007 15:50
Advise needed on buying Opel Astra spatafarose Sedans 3 29th March 2007 09:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks