Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 23:14   #91
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 460
Thanked: 558 Times
Default

They'll work absolutely fine on that old monitor, and you will be able to enjoy every game to come in the next couple of years at the highest resolution & settings!
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 06:22   #92
BHPian
 
vaisakhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: KL-32
Posts: 356
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
240 is 40nm card unlike G92 that comes in 65 and 55nm. Here they have utilized GDDR5 for 512MB and GDDR3 for 1GB.

In case of 9800GT it needs that, but GT240 does not need that external power connector.
Absolutely correct, 40nm is always better than 65nm. But there is 9800gt green edition which does not require additional power supply. I am currently using that card.
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 11:01   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,630
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Absolutely correct, 40nm is always better than 65nm. But there is 9800gt green edition which does not require additional power supply. I am currently using that card.
1) The core and shader are reduced by 10% approx over the stock 9800GT. Stock 9800GT shader and memory clock = 600 and 1500 MHZ respectively.

Green has this reduced to 550 and 1375 MHz.
Though higher than GT240, along with GDDR5, GT240 can be good enough.

I think the green card was to be called GTS240. Thankfully, nvidia realized that renaming their products has to come to an end. 9800GT green is now a bit different than the earlier thought GTS240.

2) 9800GT is available with GDDR3 memory, where as GT240 works with GDDR5 which is faster than GDDR3.
This is the biggest advantage. But everywhere else 9800GT is better than GT240.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 13:09   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,604
Thanked: 610 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) The core and shader are reduced by 10% approx over the stock 9800GT. Stock 9800GT shader and memory clock = 600 and 1500 MHZ respectively.

Green has this reduced to 550 and 1375 MHz.
Though higher than GT240, along with GDDR5, GT240 can be good enough.

9800GT is available with GDDR3 memory, where as GT240 works with GDDR5 which is faster than GDDR3.
This is the biggest advantage. But everywhere else 9800GT is better than GT240.
True. But remember 9800GT requires a min. 600W PSU. Since i do not plan to upgrade my PSU, GT240 should be the best card for me. It requires min 350W.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 15:05   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,630
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
True. But remember 9800GT requires a min. 600W PSU. Since i do not plan to upgrade my PSU, GT240 should be the best card for me. It requires min 350W.
I think there is some confusion here. I am talking about 9800GT Green. Its basically Eco version that eats less power. You dont need any external power to be supplied to the card.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 17:49   #96
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 460
Thanked: 558 Times
Default

Hello misbah6 aka theragingbull
Don't trust us folks at team-bhp?? :P :P

Look, the 9800GT is a fair bit faster than the gt240, agreed. But there is no point buying it and having to upgrade your PSU. That's because frankly even the GT240 is overkill for 1280x1024 gaming. And the 9800gt Green version would be a bit out of your budget i guess, even if it's available freely.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 22:20   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,604
Thanked: 610 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Hello misbah6 aka theragingbull
Don't trust us folks at team-bhp?? :P :P

Look, the 9800GT is a fair bit faster than the gt240, agreed. But there is no point buying it and having to upgrade your PSU. That's because frankly even the GT240 is overkill for 1280x1024 gaming. And the 9800gt Green version would be a bit out of your budget i guess, even if it's available freely.
haha...that's my bro at techenclave. I'm confused cuz I want a card that will work perfectly on 400W and has a good performance and does not cost above Rs.5000. I'm not a hardcore gamer. I have a PS2 which i plan to sell because I'm bored with it and no games are releasing for the console now. So I want to switch back to PC gaming.
Some are suggesting the HD4670. Now I'll have to look at that also.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 09:53   #98
BHPian
 
mathewpn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 43
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Why dont you just have a look at 9600GT, its performance is a little below 9800GT and on par with GT240. And the power requirement is also pretty descet ( min 350W PSU ). The best part is it will cost you ~4k which is well within your budget.

Just an opinion.
mathewpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 23:05   #99
BHPian
 
vaisakhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: KL-32
Posts: 356
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
haha...that's my bro at techenclave. I'm confused cuz I want a card that will work perfectly on 400W and has a good performance and does not cost above Rs.5000. I'm not a hardcore gamer. I have a PS2 which i plan to sell because I'm bored with it and no games are releasing for the console now. So I want to switch back to PC gaming.
Some are suggesting the HD4670. Now I'll have to look at that also.
Its not the 400W is important but the brand. If you are having a branded PSU like corsair, tagan, gigabyte or a vip gold you can go for the 9600gt normal edition.

Other wise (ie, your PSU is some thing like i-ball, frontech, etc) you can go for the HD4670, which is unbeatable in its segment and its a less power eating card too.

Note: the availability of hd4670 is less, I searched for that card in Cochin for two weeks but I couldn't find one. So I increased my budget and bought an xfx 9800gt green (I was already having VIP 500 gold)
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 20:23   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B'lore/Chicago
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on "Graphic Card"

Reviving an old thread.

My old card went bust and I need a new card. Which 1GB card to buy? I don't game, hence don't need top of the line stuff. Comp is primarily used for surfing/watching movies/occasionally run simulation software. Budget below 2k.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 20:30   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,179
Thanked: 1,109 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on "Graphic Card"

What slot do you have? The cheapest current gen PCI-E graphics card you can buy are the ATI Radeon 6450 and the NVIDIA Geforce 520. Both cost roughly around 2.5-3k depending upon where you buy them.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 20:38   #102
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B'lore/Chicago
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on "Graphic Card"

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
What slot do you have? The cheapest current gen PCI-E graphics card you can buy are the ATI Radeon 6450 and the NVIDIA Geforce 520. Both cost roughly around 2.5-3k depending upon where you buy them.

How can I determine which slot I have? Sorry for the noob Q, I really don't know these comp stuff. My last card was slotted in PCI slots. Also, my comp is around 6 years old, that should give you a fair idea of what slots are there on the board.

The price you mention, is it MRP? I am buying it from SP road.

EDIT: Would be grateful if you could suggest a 2.1 speaker within 1-1.3k too

Last edited by sachinj12 : 18th October 2011 at 20:40.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 20:42   #103
BHPian
 
Speed.Demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kochi/Manama
Posts: 234
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on "Graphic Card"

Hey guys, I dunno if this is the right thread to post this in,but I really need a graphic card upgrade in my lappie. Currently running using the integrated In tel GM45 Express Chipset GPU(I think), and I really fancy a 1GB card. Is an upgrade even possible?? What sort of costs should I be looking at?
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 20:46   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
badboyscad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 1,439
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on "Graphic Card"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey guys, I dunno if this is the right thread to post this in,but I really need a graphic card upgrade in my lappie. Currently running using the integrated In tel GM45 Express Chipset GPU(I think), and I really fancy a 1GB card. Is an upgrade even possible?? What sort of costs should I be looking at?
Sorry, it is not possible to upgrade graphics in a laptop since graphics is embedded in one of the bridge chips on the laptop motherboard.
badboyscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 20:50   #105
BHPian
 
Speed.Demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kochi/Manama
Posts: 234
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on "Graphic Card"

Oh, well thanks for that, guess I'll just have to choose better next time,eh??
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Which cities in U.P. can issue Smart card or Plastic card driving license (DL) ? zook09 The Indian Car Scene 11 24th November 2010 15:21
LAN card to LAN card sharing abhibh Gadgets, Computers & Software 15 21st December 2008 01:55
Need Advice on TV tuner CARD for Laptop wmax Gadgets, Computers & Software 1 7th August 2008 16:18
Ferrari F355 - WARNING Very Graphic Accident GTO Street Experiences 24 3rd September 2005 09:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks