Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 23:19   #181
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
@amitk26: Do you have any information whether Galaxy Spica i5700 will get the Froyo 2.2 as the 2.1 has been just out.The price of the mobile seems quite VFM comparitively though.

Will Samsung ditch spica owners ( like it usually does) or it will all boil down to the hardware not supporting the firmaware version or not.

I see a lot of exploitation happening in the name of android OS where many phones are abandoned without giving proper updates. All in the name of Business sense milking more money by bringing out more models and forcing people to buy more phones.
I have no idea but mostly no as per my own personal thinking I think the reference device used by Google for FroYo is quite high end and as of today I have no clue what kind of engineering it would take to fit FroYo in a VFM model like Spica.

Secondly as discussed on this thread Google has preferential business arrangement with some vendors who get release early ( Dell and HTC for FroYo) , Others do not get same code so it would take some time for others to make FroYo 2.2 releases.

Galaxy -S is coming out very soon and by the time it receives FroYo the price would be roughly same as what Spica is today. I can safely say there is no phone hardware like Galaxy-S as of today. You can read on web about the same.

I am looking at Google Chromium OS and more I look at it more I am liking it, It also uses Linux Kernel but has a very fresh approach for application programming model. My reaction on Chromium OS is just opposite to Android.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 08:02   #182
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Galaxy -S is coming out very soon and by the time it receives FroYo the price would be roughly same as what Spica is today. I can safely say there is no phone hardware like Galaxy-S as of today. You can read on web about the same.

Isnt Galaxy-S a high end phone competing for the top spot and are you sure it will drop to spica levels or you are referring to spica successor like i5800/ Galaxy 3 like in the link below

Samsung GT-i5801 Galaxy 3 / GT-i5800 Galaxy Spica 2 Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

Am sure they would release it around 15K mark and the spica i5700 would have touched around 10K+ at that time. I hope the spica does get the new version. Processor is pretty much alright but maybe the hardware memory isnt sufficient.

Churning out new models with less than 8 months isnt the way to go I feel as you always leave a lot of people cursing you for what you did.

Last edited by muni : 4th June 2010 at 08:03.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 09:16   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Isnt Galaxy-S a high end phone competing for the top spot and are you sure it will drop to spica levels or you are referring to spica successor like i5800/ Galaxy 3 like in the link below


Frankly I have no idea how hardware prices are determined , All I case say is following moor's law number of transistors will double in 18 months. And going by trend Galaxy-S will come to price point of Spica in 6 to8 months time

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Processor is pretty much alright but maybe the hardware memory isnt sufficient.
Spica is using 800Mhz Arm 11 based S3C6410 processor , Whereas All the FroYo reference devices till now are Arm Cortex A8 , Clock speed is not the only thing and there is a lot of difference between the two processor architecture , Vector processing using Neon instructions is not available on ARM11 which is main reason of speeding up of FroYo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Churning out new models with less than 8 months isnt the way to go I feel as you always leave a lot of people cursing you for what you did.
Yes may be , but if you have read this thread my main gripe about Android is the huge processing power it needs and thus resulting higher bills of material ( BOM) cost.

Also Android is evolving fast in November you will have Gingerbread ready roughly at the same time most of the FroYo devices will be out.
In case processing power need of Gingerbread is very different from FroYo again same story will repeat. Despite Android being open-source the governence is not open so no-one outside the closed circuls of Google can predict the road-map and the processing needs of future.

So there is a choice either buy a very high end device of today which remains upgradable after 1 year or buy a VFM device and use it till you can use it best you can.

This should be true for any manufacturer
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 12:08   #184
BHPian
 
wmanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 131
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Do you have any information whether Galaxy Spica i5700 will get the Froyo 2.2 as the 2.1 has been just out.
i5700 may not get official Froyo but there are already testing started on non official Froyo on Spica. I myself had Froyo installed on my i5700 for few hours for testing. Its amazingly fast, but crashes every few minutes!

Nonavailability of i5700 drivers for Froyo and delay in releasing source code are causing the delay. Once Google releases Froyo source, we can/will have a complete working Froyo on i5700.
wmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 14:15   #185
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
i5700 may not get official Froyo but there are already testing started on non official Froyo on Spica. I myself had Froyo installed on my i5700 for few hours for testing. Its amazingly fast, but crashes every few minutes!

Nonavailability of i5700 drivers for Froyo and delay in releasing source code are causing the delay. Once Google releases Froyo source, we can/will have a complete working Froyo on i5700.
The Froyo seems to be a significant leap interms of some crucial bugs/ features sorted out. Hope the official/ un official upgrade turns out pretty clean with all of Froyo's features working on i5700. Am sure Samsung would rather prefer spending time on new models than on this upgrade.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Next Big Thing....gdi lancerlover Technical Stuff 11 23rd July 2012 08:43
Google Wave. The next BIG thing...? Gandhi Gadgets, Computers & Software 16 2nd December 2009 13:52
Next big thing from toyota - A 3000 mile ranged car rahul_intlad The International Automotive Scene 4 21st March 2007 15:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks