Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 10th March 2008, 08:21   #16
BHPian

I've been using it for 3 months now. No bugs or hang-ups uptil now. I recently drove from Seattle to San diego and was glad I had this unit with me throughout.

What do you mean by "getting a hold"?

rev
rev_hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 19:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
I've been using it for 3 months now. No bugs or hang-ups uptil now. I recently drove from Seattle to San diego and was glad I had this unit with me throughout.

What do you mean by "getting a hold"?

rev
I was referring to the time required for the GPS to connect to a satellite..
basically hows the reception in tunnels,downtown areas, bad weather etc ...?
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 04:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
I was referring to the time required for the GPS to connect to a satellite..
basically hows the reception in tunnels,downtown areas, bad weather etc ...?
At startup it takes about 3 seconds to load the system software and display the home screen.

It takes about 1.5-2 seconds to calculate route no matter where I am or in case of any detours.

Reception is flawless so far and I think it is because the unit is constantly tracked by 15 satellites.
Old 11th March 2008, 04:21   #19
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
I've been using Magellan Maestro 4250 and it is phenomal VFM and offers pin-point accuracy. I got mine from Costco for $349.00 plus taxes when it was $499.00 plus tax everywhere else.

6 million POI's and bluetooth were the selling point for me but there a lots of other features too.
A colleague at work bought the 4250 from Costco a few weeks ago - lucky chap got an additional $100 discount on it - a steal for $250.
I was playing around with it this afternoon. I'd vouch for this one - it's not too expensive and loaded with features. You can even create your own POI files and download it onto the device.

I believe, Best Buy & Circuit City still carry it for $499.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th March 2008 at 04:23.
aah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 04:43   #20
BHPian

Yep, the addidtional $100 discount was on in the 1st week of March.
At $250.00 it is almost as good as free

I'm still getting around to using the software to upload my own POI's though. Any inputs on this?

edit: Prices at Best buy are down to $399.00 last I checked.

Last edited by rev_hard : 11th March 2008 at 04:44.
Old 11th March 2008, 20:27   #21
BHPian

I just had a look at the Magellans also..seems the UI is much better and much smarter than the Garmin Nuvis
Im was looking for something which I can slip into my shirt pocket, something like my garmin nuvi 200..seems the Magellan 3225 is equally small in size and has better features...
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 18:21   #22
BHPian

Default Which GPS to buy?

I am thinking of buying a GPS unit for travel in US and Canada. There are tons of options available. Companies like Garmin, Magellan are prominent, but along with them companies like Panasonic and HP also have GPS units available.

Which is better of them?

Factors to consider:
1. Budget : Max $200. Under $150 would be nice. I dont mind refurbished.
2. Ability to pronounce street names
3. Maximum POIs as possible within the price range.
4. Compact size.
5. Ability to load updated/new maps (e.g. Europe maps) via SD card or any other means.
6. Availability of Indian maps (I think it will be useful whenever I drive in India)
7. Decent battery life.

I have used Garmin GPS (owned by a friend) and foound is pretty user friendly. (Dont know the exact model number but it was quite high range).

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by aah78 : 8th July 2008 at 03:04. Reason: Thread merged with existing.
abhijitaparadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 19:48   #23
BANNED

Garmin is a good GPS device. They have variety of indian maps & have regionalised their approach widely. This is a stand alone device. If you want convergence & less gadgetary to carry around , you could go in for a mobile phone with GPS.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 19:53   #24
BHPian

Yes, Garmin is definitely a very good device. Unfortunately, most companies who develop maps for India have it only for Windows based equipment. I had an old Garmin 2620 StreetPilot and no one has a map that is compatible with this device. So far i believe MapmyIndia and SatNav are the best of the lot. They have advertised a few products which are compatible with their maps so check it out.
Swiftron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 20:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

I would go for a cheap unit like Navigo GPS Sat Nav . The beauty of these units are that they can be modded to run TomTom, MioMap, iGo, Map My India etc etc.

You can d/l maps off the net for TomTom.

Last edited by bigman : 7th July 2008 at 20:05.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 20:05   #26
BHPian

I would like to buy a dedicated GPS unit and not integrated with cell phone. It will solely be kept in car.

Also Garmin has zillions of models in GPS, any particular model you can suggest?
abhijitaparadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 20:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Garmin units are robust..depending on your budget Etrax or CSx model are good.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 20:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

I would advice Garmin.
heard some good reviews about it.

@bigman
he is asking about usa and canada and not india.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 20:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
@bigman
he is asking about usa and canada and not india.

What you going on about ?

Last time I looked TomTom, iGo and Miomap had maps that covered not only the USA and Canada but most of Europe as well, they had no maps for India. So Abhijits criteria would be met by one of these generic CE units as they can easily run Map My India which is an added bonus. So it ticks all the right boxes.

I had a Garmin unit myself years ago (an i3) with UK maps on. Since getting a few WM smartphones the thing has been sat in its box for more than a year. If you want flexibility go for a smartphone or a GPS PNA which can be modded. If you want to be limited to Garmin maps etc then by all means go for a Garmin solution. Having tried both options I will stick to the SP, I have MioMap. Tom Tom, Destinator, iGo, Garmin XT, Map My India, Mapking and Papago all working fine on my units.

Last edited by bigman : 7th July 2008 at 20:37.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 21:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

In my limited experience!, go for TomTom6 and buy a gps receiver to use with a phone or buy the whole TomTom navigator. In Europe its the best so far in all ways.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote