Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 13th May 2010, 03:56   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
nice thread guys.

My brother is planning to get a website done for marketing some LED stuff. So he was about to pay approx 10K (at least 5k) to register a website! I advised him to hold on for a week or two so that i can do that for him for free. He basically need a simple HTML page to advertise the LED products!

Couple of very good points i picked up from this thread are

1. test the HTM pages with other browsers like Firefox,Opera
2. Not to use flash (i am not fan of flash, its too jazzy)!

Coming to the Domain and webhosting,

1.is there any new website which has cheaper/reliable domain name registering
2. Which is the current cheap/reliable hosting website

Kindly enlighten me!
Do PM me your brother's site (after he finish it) as i am a big fan of LED products.
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 09:44   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Hey guys check out my site and let me know what all you think about it. its Mixwel Concrete Equipments
Ok i'll give you some 'constuctive' critisism,
1) Home page-in IE8 some text in the scroll down is missing on the right of each paragraph, works well in Opera, but in Opera the images are not showing and the bottom of the 'who we are' cannot be viewed, this is why i didn't want to use flash, fistly compatability and secondly how many users will actuallywant to install the add ons. To rectify this you could shorten you text on your home page and remove the scroll down bars. Lastly music on website? Many find it a little irritating.

2) Services page, no issues, i like the transition from one page to the next, the scroll down bars are not so user friendly in Opera work well in IE8.

3) Products, Ok no issues, possibly you could keep the information in two rows side by side.

4) About us, quite tidy. No problems, initially the top right image wasn't loading.

5) Contact us, very neat & concice no need to scroll anywhere, everything is working there.

This is just my opinion, hope this helps.

Cheers,

Stefan

Last edited by stefanm : 13th May 2010 at 09:46.
stefanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:47   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
I have got Concrete 5 installed, the user interface looks very good, will start my work tomorrow, so far this is the best of the bunch...

Thats exactly the CMS i was trying to recommend to you, as i had seen it in a reddit discussion a few days earlier.
However, when i started to look for it (couldn't remember the name) i couldn't find that thread, so posted the other thread that i found while searching

It seems very cool -- do let us know how it works out, and exactly how flexible / feature packed it is.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 19:03   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Ok i'll give you some 'constuctive' critisism,
1) Home page-in IE8 some text in the scroll down is missing on the right of each paragraph, works well in Opera, but in Opera the images are not showing and the bottom of the 'who we are' cannot be viewed, this is why i didn't want to use flash, fistly compatability and secondly how many users will actuallywant to install the add ons. To rectify this you could shorten you text on your home page and remove the scroll down bars. Lastly music on website? Many find it a little irritating.

2) Services page, no issues, i like the transition from one page to the next, the scroll down bars are not so user friendly in Opera work well in IE8.

3) Products, Ok no issues, possibly you could keep the information in two rows side by side.

4) About us, quite tidy. No problems, initially the top right image wasn't loading.

5) Contact us, very neat & concice no need to scroll anywhere, everything is working there.

This is just my opinion, hope this helps.

Cheers,

Stefan

So here are my answers :

1) Just tested site using ie8 and noted that text is moving with the scroll.

2) The site is working fine on firefox, opera and chrome.

3) My main point on designing this was too keep it simple and sweet.

4) Top right image is of about 40kb which is quite a good size but don't why its taking this much time to load the pictures

5) I kept this page simple because i want to increase the speed of data transfer when someone uses contact form.

Currently i am thinking of making a html site. Do give me your suggestions on current site as i am still not professional designer and still too young to be a professional. Dude, I am still a teen (15 yrs)
Old 13th May 2010, 22:04   #95
BHPian

Quote:
So here are my answers :

1) Just tested site using ie8 and noted that text is moving with the scroll.

2) The site is working fine on firefox, opera and chrome.

3) My main point on designing this was too keep it simple and sweet.

4) Top right image is of about 40kb which is quite a good size but don't why its taking this much time to load the pictures

5) I kept this page simple because i want to increase the speed of data transfer when someone uses contact form.

Currently i am thinking of making a html site. Do give me your suggestions on current site as i am still not professional designer and still too young to be a professional. Dude, I am still a teen (15 yrs)
no offence was intended, i'm no expert despite being a few days short of 40, overall your site looks pretty good, but you have to understand that flash on older systems alsway requires plugins, your average user who's into construction (almost like me) will not want to waste their time, even though i had a long background in new media/graphic design, i had switched to construction a few years back, i'm quite rusty with all of this these days, i personaly like a site to be simple, look nice and be effective, i don't want unnecessary videos/music or graphics these take up bandwidth, even though i have bsnl broadband which is pretty good in Goa, especially on windows 7, it's still a quater of what i had in the UK for the same cost, so as a web designer you need to consider the end customer, which means internet speed/age/computer literacy etc.

I am currently using concrete 5 to build my own website for my new company, i find this software and user interface, very straightforward and have made some good progress today, i recommend this software for beginers to professionals, i had tried drupal/joomla and wasted too much time with these, i've made more progress with concrete 5 in 2 days than i had with 5 days with the other 2, give it a try it's free!!!!!!!!!!
Old 14th May 2010, 15:09   #96
BHPian

This is what i have done so far on my home page, with Concrete 5

Splash! Bathrooms (Goa) :: Home

Feed back good, bad or ugly is most welcome, please excuse i'm quite a novice with this website designing thing.

Cheers,

Stefan
Old 14th May 2010, 17:07   #97
BHPian

Quote:
This is what i have done so far on my home page, with Concrete 5

Splash! Bathrooms (Goa) :: Home

Feed back good, bad or ugly is most welcome, please excuse i'm quite a novice with this website designing thing.

Cheers,

Stefan
The thing at the top of site looks awesome. first i thought its a gif image but its not. How did you made that thing ?? Do note to make your logo steady. I mean it should not fade with those pictures.

OT : Add some pages. add some graphics. use high quality pics. make that page index or home page.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:45   #98
BHPian

Quote:
The thing at the top of site looks awesome. first i thought its a gif image but its not. How did you made that thing ?? Do note to make your logo steady. I mean it should not fade with those pictures.

OT : Add some pages. add some graphics. use high quality pics. make that page index or home page.
The images at the top are just jpegs, this fading gallery is actually part of the core template, i just uploaded my own resized images and removed the stock ones, quite simple, will look at what you're saying about the logo, i might put iy last and hold for longer, it's still w.i.p, there are more pages, which i have hidden until i launch the site, hopefully by next wednesday, have to finish the home page first, then the rest is simple, i have already planned everthing on paper, then there's search engine optimisation to do. I feel Concrete5 is one of the best softwares for building a website it's probably the best for beginners who want a customisable site thats easy to edit (I'm not an IT guy talking)

Thanks for your comments,

Stefan
Old 7th July 2010, 17:29   #99
Senior - BHPian

Default New Content Management System (CMS) for Serious Business or Use the Existing One ??

Hi,

I have been using MemHT, A simple but very easy to operate CMS software. But as Visitors and Ads earning is increasing day-by-day, I have started looking at website's progress seriously so as I can handle visitors more efficiently and offer more facilities/features to visitors.

For the same I have three options:

1) Get new template for the existing CMS software.

2) Get new CMS Software. (Joomla/Drupel.... etc)

3) Get the site developed completely from a professional completely.

For me Option no.1 is the easiest one, as the data will be safe and secure. I am much more confident using the existing one as been handling it from the last 2 years and know a bit in-out of the said CMS.

Though on papers, Option no.2 will be the best as it will open new avenues (hopefully) with new modifications and functions. Data loss might be possible, as data conversion from one CMS to another is quite a task.

Option no.3 is the costliest one and would look at it if Option no.1 and Option no.2 fails out.

I am trying to save cost as much as possible as it was started as hobby, but will not mind spending if Option no.1 and option no.2 ain't feasible looking at future.

Totally Confused ?? What do you suggest guys ??
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 16:16   #100

My (small) firm has a domain name registration with Nettigrity and website and email hosting from a local service provider in Bangalore. Both these services come up for renewal on July 31 and they have asked for Rs 500 and 2500 respectively for renewal.

I have registered with Google Apps - Standard Edition and have verified my domain name there and changed my MX record and everything is working fine - mails drop into gmail and get downloaded into my outlook.

I am not a techie and would like to understand whether I should merely renew domain name with nettigrity and ignore the email hosting provider. Will everything work fine on Aug 1? Or should I ignore both service providers and on August 1, register again with google apps along with a domain name registration (google has a tie up with godaddy)? If so, will my existing domain name be available on Aug 1?
CheckMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 19:01   #101
BHPian

@ Checkmate

You can ignore your email hosting provider now that you've setup with Google Apps. But for website hosting you'd still need a host unless you are happy with what google pages offer.

It is better to renew and migrate the domain to another registrar or provider since it is highly unpredictable whether you can get hold of an expired domain after the safety hold-off before someone else acts smart. Anyways Rs.500 is not too much on the high side for domain renewal...Domain name renewal starts from Rs.325/yr IIRC.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 12:33   #102
BHPian

I have decided to try my hands with Joomla 1.5, can anyone recommend some free templates site? I have already tried siteground, they do have some amazing templates.
Shakensoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 17:45   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Hi,

I have been using MemHT, A simple but very easy to operate CMS software. But as Visitors and Ads earning is increasing day-by-day, I have started looking at website's progress seriously so as I can handle visitors more efficiently and offer more facilities/features to visitors.

For the same I have three options:

1) Get new template for the existing CMS software.

2) Get new CMS Software. (Joomla/Drupel.... etc)

3) Get the site developed completely from a professional completely.

For me Option no.1 is the easiest one, as the data will be safe and secure. I am much more confident using the existing one as been handling it from the last 2 years and know a bit in-out of the said CMS.

Though on papers, Option no.2 will be the best as it will open new avenues (hopefully) with new modifications and functions. Data loss might be possible, as data conversion from one CMS to another is quite a task.

Option no.3 is the costliest one and would look at it if Option no.1 and Option no.2 fails out.

I am trying to save cost as much as possible as it was started as hobby, but will not mind spending if Option no.1 and option no.2 ain't feasible looking at future.

Totally Confused ?? What do you suggest guys ??
Go for option 2 and give concrete 5 a try, i have developed my site which is now up and running with concrete 5, much easier than drupal or joomla to use, very user friendly, www.splash-goa.com my site which is complete and has been up for over a month now, i managed to get the feel i wanted from the site with relative ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
I have decided to try my hands with Joomla 1.5, can anyone recommend some free templates site? I have already tried siteground, they do have some amazing templates.
When I experimented with Joomla i found most of the templates were for sale only, which is part of the reason I went in for concrete 5 and the site development is much easier, it's really worth checking out.

Cheers

Stefan
Old 19th July 2010, 21:12   #104
BHPian

I want to start a website for myself and looking for a good hosting option. The site will have some static pages about myself, a blog, a photo gallery etc.

I have zeroed down on Linux bronze plan on bizzhost.com for hosting and net4.in for domain registration.

Are these good enough options? Are there better options in same price range?
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 09:25   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I want to start a website for myself and looking for a good hosting option. The site will have some static pages about myself, a blog, a photo gallery etc.

I have zeroed down on Linux bronze plan on bizzhost.com for hosting and net4.in for domain registration.

Are these good enough options? Are there better options in same price range?
I used speedhost.in for both, i'm very happy with them, uptime has been great so far, cost me less than a grand to get up and running for one year. Customer service is also very good, the hosting is also search engine friendly whilst combined with conctrete5. Which ever you go for stay away from using fantastico to install your cms, it will give you a big headache.